Hello everyone, Norcal Dogfight has been invited to resume its activities at a private establishment and by none other than Myung aka totoroslayer, who has once again kindly stepped up to provide us with a place to play. And now a word from the man himself:
As many of you know, Gamecenter is no more. However, the machines and equipment have not magically disappeared. Normally, they would be put into storage and auctioned off at the earliest possible time. However, the outcome of that is known and frankly not interesting. So instead, I propose an experiment. Here are some of the defining aspects:
1) There are no customers. I'm sick of customers. Customers view the machines, space, and people who work there as something they have bought the right to do whatever they want with. I am not interested in having customers. I don't want to work myself to the bone, lose sleep, lose time with my friends, and lose money for customers. HOWEVER, I will work for my friends. This is not a privilege I am extending to the general public. I am inviting you, the people I know, the people I am proud to call my friends, to come use and contribute to this space.
2) This does NOT mean this place is exclusive! I am always happy to meet new people and excited at the opportunity to make new friends. But that does mean that ALL of us must be responsible for newcomers. That means correcting their mistakes (kindly, of course, the way you would want to be corrected if you made a misstep in a new place you weren't familiar with), helping them out, and making them feel at home. If you introduce someone here, though, that means you are IMPLICITLY taking ultimate responsibility for their actions. Though if they are friends, they most likely can be trusted to take responsibility for themselves.
3) Since there are no employees, we are all responsible for the space. That means at the end of the events, EVERYONE will have to pitch in and clean up, stack chairs, etc. If you leave before the event ends, please make sure at least you have cleaned up after yourself and haven't left a burden for your friends. Heck, maybe even do a quick pass before you leave and get some things off the floor.
4) To a VERY select few, we have offered, for a monthly fee, the authority to hold a key to the place. They have the authority to supervise events and use the space for some of their own purposes.
5) This place will not be open regularly. It will be open only when there is an event planned for it, or when a key holder is present there.
6) Yes, there will still be a venue fee for this place. That is what will help keep this place sustainable and open. To that end, I will make the books OPEN. There will be a publicly available Google Doc updated every month with a complete and detailed breakdown of all the costs (money going out) and income (money coming in). The goal is to make this balance. Meaning to say, if by some miracle we make more than it costs to operate, I will reduce the venue fees accordingly. This also will allow people to contribute ideas on how to save money or get more value out of what we already have. This also has the interesting effect that the more people and more events that happen here, the CHEAPER it will be for everyone.
7) Chances are that at least for the time being, it will run at a deficit. Me and my partner will be picking up the tab for that. That's what it means to be in charge of a place. We accept the authority ALONG WITH the responsibility. What we ask of you is to help lessen the load of this. The more you all can help, the longer we can keep this experiment going. In the end, this is an experiment to see if communities of gamers can come together and, fostering a spirit of community and equity, maintain a place for themselves. It is a unique situation; this place does not belong TO you, but it exists FOR you. While one form of it didn't seem to work, this form might have a chance. I'm willing to once again put myself on the line to find out, because this has always been my dream for the community.
In essence, the conditions are:
- We are invited guests, not customers
- Make sure to clean up after yourself!
- If you are reading this thread, you are invited to attend
- Guests-of-guests are welcome
- The venue fee keeps the place afloat for us: the invited guests, the privileged players
- There's no venue fee for only spectating
- Be excellent to each other and have fun
- Time: 3pm
- Registration: on-site, opens 3pm
- Venue fee: $7 to play, just spectating is free
- Location: 1607 Old County Rd, San Carlos 94070
- Stream: http://twitch.tv/NorcalDogfight
- Norcal Dogfight is usually every 3rd Saturday of the month
- Double elim singles isn't the only format we like to run
- Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core +R
- BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost
- Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late
If you win with random select, you have to pick random again, re-randoming the same char is OK
Guilty Gear Accent Core +R
Bans: EX characters, Shadow/Gold colors, Baiken/May/Kliff j.D glitch
Macros: banning them is between you and your opponent
Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost
In the event of a time over, the match must be replayed
BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma
Bans: Unlimited characters, Noel hat (double astrals)
3pm doors open, reg for GGACR, BBCP, UNIEL, EXVSFB
4pm GGACR and BBCP starts
5:30pm UNIEL starts
9:30pm EXVSFB starts
Fred style schedule for readability:
Time GGAC+R BBCP UNIEL EXVSFB 3:00 -REG- -REG- -REG- ---- 3:30 -REG- -REG- -REG- ---- 4:00 BEGIN BEGIN -REG- ---- 4:30 MATCH MATCH -REG- ---- 5:00 MATCH MATCH -REG- ---- 5:30 MATCH MATCH BEGIN ---- 6:00 TOP8 MATCH MATCH ---- 6:30 ---- TOP8 MATCH ---- 7:00 ---- ---- MATCH -REG- 7:30 ---- ---- TOP8 -REG- 8:00 ---- ---- ---- -REG- 8:30 ---- ---- ---- -REG- 9:00 ---- ---- ---- -REG- 9:30 ---- ---- ---- BEGIN
- Street parking, and not to worry, there's lots of it
- Caltrain: San Carlos station or Redwood City station (venue is between these two stations)
- Bus: aim for El Camino Real and Howard Ave. Buses are on the west wide of the Caltrain tracks, the venue is on the east side, and Howard crosses the train racks.
Edited by Dakanya, 13 August 2014 - 07:55 AM.