Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhaethonH

[Nov 2, 2013] California Burst: Norcal Training Room (GG) - San Carlos, CA

Saturday, Nov 2, 2013; 3pm - California Burst$ fg

4: SIGCONT

We have a venue location for California Burst. Unlike Gamecenter, the new venue is an office. First, a word from our host, owner of the now-defunct Gamecenter.

As many of you know, Gamecenter is no more. However, the machines and equipment have not magically disappeared. Normally, they would be put into storage and auctioned off at the earliest possible time. However, the outcome of that is known and frankly not interesting. So instead, I propose an experiment. Here are some of the defining aspects:

1) There are no customers. I’m sick of customers. Customers view the machines, space, and people who work there as something they have bought the right to do whatever they want with. I am not interested in having customers. I don’t want to work myself to the bone, lose sleep, lose time with my friends, and lose money for customers. HOWEVER, I will work for my friends. This is not a privilege I am extending to the general public. I am inviting you, the people I know, the people I am proud to call my friends, to come use and contribute to this space.

2) This does NOT mean this place is exclusive! I am always happy to meet new people and excited at the opportunity to make new friends. But that does mean that ALL of us must be responsible for newcomers. That means correcting their mistakes (kindly, of course, the way you would want to be corrected if you made a misstep in a new place you weren’t familiar with), helping them out, and making them feel at home. If you introduce someone here, though, that means you are IMPLICITLY taking ultimate responsibility for their actions. Though if they are friends, they most likely can be trusted to take responsibility for themselves.

3) Since there are no employees, we are all responsible for the space. That means at the end of the events, EVERYONE will have to pitch in and clean up, stack chairs, etc. If you leave before the event ends, please make sure at least you have cleaned up after yourself and haven’t left a burden for your friends. Heck, maybe even do a quick pass before you leave and get some things off the floor.

4) To a VERY select few, we have offered, for a monthly fee, the authority to hold a key to the place. They have the authority to supervise events and use the space for some of their own purposes.

5) This place will not be open regularly. It will be open only when there is an event planned for it, or when a key holder is present there.

6) Yes, there will still be a venue fee for this place. That is what will help keep this place sustainable and open. To that end, I will make the books OPEN. There will be a publicly available Google Doc updated every month with a complete and detailed breakdown of all the costs (money going out) and income (money coming in). The goal is to make this balance. Meaning to say, if by some miracle we make more than it costs to operate, I will reduce the venue fees accordingly. This also will allow people to contribute ideas on how to save money or get more value out of what we already have. This also has the interesting effect that the more people and more events that happen here, the CHEAPER it will be for everyone.

7) Chances are that at least for the time being, it will run at a deficit. Me and my partner will be picking up the tab for that. That’s what it means to be in charge of a place. We accept the authority ALONG WITH the responsibility. What we ask of you is to help lessen the load of this. The more you all can help, the longer we can keep this experiment going. In the end, this is an experiment to see if communities of gamers can come together and, fostering a spirit of community and equity, maintain a place for themselves. It is a unique situation; this place does not belong TO you, but it exists FOR you. While one form of it didn’t seem to work, this form might have a chance. I’m willing to once again put myself on the line to find out, because this has always been my dream for the community.

Summarized venue policies:

• the venue is an office, not a store.
  • you are guests, not customers.
  • guests-of-guests welcome.
  • if you're reading this to attend, you're ok.
  • venue fee helps keep this place available.
  • clean up after yourself -- there are no employees nor janitors, only the sole office manager.
  • be nice, have fun.

Event parameters:
    • Date: Saturday, Nov 2, 2013
    • Time: 3pm
    • Streaming: FinestKO

Parking:
      • Street parking. Plenty of street parking.

Public Transit:
        • Caltrain: San Carlos station or Redwood City station (venue is between these two stations)
        • Bus: aim for El Camino Real and Howard Ave. Buses are on the west wide of the Caltrain tracks, the venue is on the east side, and Howard crosses the train racks.

General rules baseline:
          • Evo style match/bracket rules
          • $5 - venue fee to enter.
          • $5 - entry fee per game entered (prize pot, see also first-game entry credit).
          • Pot split normally 70/20/10
          • no cost for only-spectating
          • Double-Elimination Bracket where feasible, Round Robin for small turnout.
          • MUST be ready for match within 5 minutes of match call, or instant loss (disqualify)

Event(s):
            1. GG+R (ps3) - Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core Plus R

Side event(s):

[*] BBCP (ps3) - BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

Game-specific rules:

[*] GG - banned characters: EX characters, Shadow color, Gold color

[*] GG - macros banned (because glitch)

[*] BB - Hakumen banned Fine. No BB-specific rules yet.

Schedule:

Time    GG      BB

3:00   -REG-   -REG-

3:30   -REG-   -REG-

4:00   BEGIN   -REG-

4:30   MATCH   -REG-

5:00   MATCH   -REG-

5:30   MATCH   -REG-

6:00   TOP4    BEGIN

6:30 -- Casuals & Training --

Time     3:00  3:30  4:00  4:30  5:00  5:30  6:00  6:30  7:00  7:30  8:00  Time

GG      [---REG----][:::::::: MATCH ::::::: TOP4 ]

BB      [--------------  REG  -------------][:::::: MATCH ::::::::::::::::

[Casuals & Training...]

Other notes:

[*] After tournaments are done, time is available for casuals and training.

[*] Prefer that side tournaments not run at same time as main tournaments.

Fee Structure:

All attendees are guests at the host's office.

You are not customers, you are invited guests.

Venue fee helps defray the cost of maintaining the venue and events.

Seed points (for filling out brackets - 1st=4, 2nd=2, 3rd=1, 4th=i):

[*] Guilty Gear

[*] 7 - eh-sama

[*] 4 - magz, honnou

[*] 3 - KBnova

[*] 1 - 2GB Combo, tenkai

I can run brackets for BB, I don't mind doing that. Simple ruleset

2/3 games double elim

Unlimiteds Banned

Hakumen can be banned if majority votes to do so :3

I'm absolutely willing to run an Unlimited side tourney later in the night.

Poor Hakumen. xD

I'll see if I can swing by. Been a while since I last played any GG, so I should probably brush up before I enter a tourney, but eh.

Not sure if I'll be trying to enter CP with Rachel or Plat or Iza at this point, either, lol. Probably Izayoi for this one.

All of GGAC+R run on PS3? No XBOX setups?

Can we get links to the GG bracket?

Also results for GG 3on3 Teams:

1. Team Wheelchair: e-huangsama(KY) / PhaethonH(MA) / kbnova(ZA)

2. The Best GG Player In American and Friends: honnou(IN) / magz(SL) / tenkai(JO)

3. Boku Ja Nai: Brett(RA) / YAT(RO) / dakanya(HO)

4. TTS: Smiles(SL) / Tsubasa(MA) / Tari(BR)

5. Hip-hop Dictators WUT: LordRaptor(KY) / NotKBF(MA) / DarkTalon(AB)

5. Double Black Cock: 2GBCombo(MI) / Manabe(SO) / Lark(JU)

7. New and Busted: Aginor(IN) / Geobuster(DI) / ImpetusVenti(JU)

Forgot what char impetus played, but i'll update when I find out.

That was a very fun teams setup style,cvs2 mode and also the most nerve racking. But great times as usual everyone!! Thanks brett for hosting the teams. Very fun !!!!

Thanks Kenji, glad you enjoyed it!

I will definitely be running a 3on3 with the same exact format for this upcoming NCD.

Hakumen can be banned if majority votes to do so :3

So basically stay home Vineeth, and don't ever come back xD

I'll be showing up too, I need footage. Scott can we work out a setup so I can split off of you?