As you combo the opponent, you will notice that each attack does less damage than they would individually. This is due to damage scaling, otherwise known as damage proration. To determine how much damage a specific hit will deal:
|Combo Count||Damage Dealt|
- Normal throws count as 2 hits for damage scaling purposes.
- Multi-hitting attacks, such as Gran's 236HGuard:
+3 or Charlotta's 214XGuard:
-2 series all count as 1 hit for damage scaling purposes.
- Guts is applied in addition to damage scaling
Damage Scaling Exceptions
While most attacks follow the damage scaling rules above, some attacks count as multiple hits with respect to damage scaling.
For example, Percival's X-SeeleGuard:
- counts as 2 hits.
Some attacks have a guaranteed minimal damage regardless how low damage scaling goes. This usually happens on supers, where SBA has 20% minimal damage, and SSBA has 30% minimal damage.
Minimal damage however is still affected by Guts.
Guts is a universal mechanic shared by all characters.
Guts is a damage modifier applied to damage based on the remaining health of the character hit by a given attack.
Guts take places immediately when the character's health crosses over a threshold, even in the middle of a combo or middle of a multi-hit attack.
Most Skills, Skybound Arts, and Super Skybound Arts do small amounts of damage to the opponent even on block. This is known as chip damage, and is a common mechanic in fighting games.
Attacks do 25% of their base damage as chip damage when performed with the manual input, but only 20% when using the Ability button. There are exceptions to this (especially Skybound Arts).
Chip Damage can kill the opponent, but there are two conditions that must be met first.
- The opponent is at 1 health.
- If the opponent is at 2+ health and takes any amount of chip damage, then the opponent will survive with 1 health.
- The opponent must return to neutral after being at 1 health.
- This is to prevent a gapless string of hits from chip killing the opponent (such as most Skybound Arts).
Combo limit is a juggle limit mechanic based on a points system. Every character has their own numerical limit as well as values on their moves. The points only start counting after the opponent has become airborne
The Universal values are as followed:
|All Other Normals not Listed||2 points|
A user by the name of @KM_Atma has a thread listing all character combo limit points as well as their unique exceptions to the rules above which can be found here
During long ground combos, the opponent is knocked back further and further, even by exactly the same move.
Crouching opponents suffer 1F more hitstun compared to standing opponents - this can lead to new combo opportunities!
- For example, Katalina can combo from her auto combo into Medium Enchanted LandsGuard:
-8 (at worst) (214M) on crouching hit, but not on standing hit.
Click [★] for character's full frame data
• HUD • Controls •
• Movement/Canceling • Offense • Defense • Gauges • Attack Attributes •
Detailed & Advanced Information
• Damage/Combo • Frame Data & System Data • Misc •
• Patch Notes •