The titular "Guilty Gear" and protagonist of the Guilty Gear series, Sol Badguy is a battle-hardened bounty hunter with a sordid past. He travels with his protege Sin Kiske, claiming bounties to make a living. Sol’s real objective, however, remains unchanged: To destroy all vagrant Gears and enact his revenge on "That Man", a mysterious individual from Sol’s past. Presently, the world faces another Merciless Apocalypse. Entities carrying the name "Valentine" have emerged once again, and Sol must confront the remnants of his past once more. With his services now under the temporary hire of his long-time rival and Sin’s father, Ky Kiske, Sol takes Sin, and with his modified weapon "Junkyard Dog Mk3", answers the call to battle.
Sol is a well-rounded, yet very rushdown-focused character. He has a tool for every situation, some tools better than others, but his primary goal is to get up close and personal, as his close-range options are where Sol is at his scariest. Fortunately, Sol can do this with the help of Gun Flame, a projectile that can be used to cover Sol’s approach when Roman Cancelled. When up close, Sol has some powerful buttons. 5K and 2D are among the best normals in the game, a 3 frame poke that can be used as a 5 frame anti-air and a fast, low profile sweep, respectively. While lacking a strong, standing overhead, much of Sol’s close-range mix-up comes from his command throw, Bukkirabou ni Nageru, and the fear of getting caught in his command throw opening the opponent up to frame traps. Speaking of fear, Sol possesses the best invincible reversal in the game, Volcanic Viper, a powerful tool which forces the opponent to consider the safety of their offense. Of course, this isn’t to say that his mid-range game is absent. Other moves such as f.S and 5HS possess a great deal of range, and Fafnir is probably the scariest of them all, a massively vicious, flaming strike that sends the opponent tumbling away on hit and is even plus on block. When the opponent is forced into the corner, that’s when the real fun starts. Sol can deal large amounts of damage near the corner by utilizing his infamous D-Loop (more popularly known as the Dustloop) in combination with Fafnir, and thanks to Kudakero - an air-to-ground dive kick, Sol can take his air combos back to the ground and then end them with an extra advantageous knockdown. With that knockdown, he can set up powerful okizeme using a combination of safe jumps and Yellow Roman Cancelled Gun Flames, and bully his way to victory.
- Has many strong normals and specials for nearly any situation.
- Excels at close range with strong normals coupled with his command grab, Bukkirabou ni Nageru (aka Wild Throw).
- Excellent ability to convert nearly any hit into knockdown. Good starters lead to high damage combos at no Tension cost.
- Has undoubtedly the strongest invulnerable reversal in the game, Volcanic Viper, for use in multiple situations.
- Makes very good use of both Yellow and Red Roman Cancels.
- High stun damage. Can easily guarantee dizzy out of simple Counter Hit combos with a proceeding mixup.
- Has difficulty dealing with strong zoning. Must sometimes take risks to break into his ideal, up-close attack range.
- Mix-up abilities are very basic. Landing good hits on offense requires strong reading and conditioning of opponents.