Hyde is a basic and well-rounded character, but unlike Yu and Ruby who lean towards a more aggressive playstyle, Hyde is more balanced between offense and defense. His great ground normals dominate close and mid-ranges thanks to their combination of range and speed, and you can get a lot of value simply out of poking and whiff punishing. At longer ranges, he can use his fireball to control the ground, tack on chip damage (particularly using dark lotus), and encourage the opponent to approach. However, possibly Hyde's most important tool of all his 2B: it's one of the best anti-airs in the game and leads to a lot of damage on counterhit, making Hyde very dangerous to jump in on. By presenting the threat of 2B, Hyde can force the opponent to play more grounded, which is where he excels. However, Hyde does have weaknesses that can cause him to struggle in certain matchups and situations. Because of his assault-style air dash, he can't move forward as fast as other characters, and can have difficulty getting in if he is forced to approach. He also has limited ways of controlling the air other than directly above him, having weak air to airs and no air projectile.
|"Get in my way and I'll get rid of you!"|
|Lore:||Hyde Kido was once a normal high school boy until one night, he is attacked by the Void; creatures of the Hollow Night. He is able to barely escape death due to the help of a girl he met named Linne, but the attack causes him to become an In-Birth. Soon after, Linne, her pet Dragon Kuu and Waldstein move into Hyde's home to teach and train Hyde about the Hollow Night and how to use his Power of Existence (EXS). When the Hollow Night returns and Linne and Waldstein disappear, Hyde sets out into the night in search of them.|
Hyde is a solid character and great pick if you want to play a more balanced footsies style that will slowly deal lots of chip damage to the opponent by playing safe and smart.
- Amazing pressure due to having long blockstrings and reverse beat.
- All sword and energy attacks deal chip damage on block (but will not kill).
- Excellent aerial oppression thanks to his fast and long reaching 2B.
- Great range with both his sword and his projectile, Black Orbiter.
- Has access to many unconventional combo extensions.
- Can end nearly every combo with safe-jump oki.
- EX Bend Sinister can shut down zoning of any kind and is plus on block at full-screen.
- Pale Bringer Arose guarantees a corner position and safe-jump oki while denying all zoning.
- Versatile assists, most of which are great at contesting zoning.
- Extremely scary in Resonance Blaze thanks to its chip damage modifier scaling with Void Red EXS.
- Slow and predictable overheads hurt his mix-up game.
- High execution needed for anything more than basic combos.
- Low damage without meter or assists which also means low meter gain.
- All of his damage is locked behind his B Smart Combo which is difficult to use outside the corner.
- Any use of his A Smart Combo scales combos drastically.
- Almost all of his special moves are unsafe on block at close range.
- Reject Guard prevents him from safely building chip damage on defending opponents.
Hyde's EXS gives all of his sword attack damage on block. All of his normals deal 20% chip damage while all of his specials and supers deal 30% chip damage. His EXS stacks with the bonus chip damage of Resonance Blaze and scales accordingly, with level 4 RB providing ludicrously high chip damage on block.