Thanks to the buffs Ruby received in the version 1.5 update, Ruby has a very practical and effective oki game that revolves around the use of Gun Blast to create safe-jump set-ups at the end of essentially any combo. Exactly what sequence of Gun Blasts that should be used for oki depends on the opponent's position (how high they are and how close they are to the corner) and what move Ruby used prior to the Gun Blast. Her Petal Burst super can also provide safe-jump oki if the opponent is launched into the corner but this requires meter and combo routes that can end with supers.
1) Sweep (2C): Works anywhere on the screen. Only grants safe-jump oki if sweep connects against airborne opponents.
2) Gun Blast (214A): Works anywhere on the screen. Grants safe-jump oki depending on the chain of Gun Blasts used.
3) Buzzsaw Blast (j.236B): Air only. Works anywhere on the screen, but is more effective in the corner.
4) Corkscrew Slice (A+D): Ground only. Works anywhere on the screen. Has minimum damage.
5) Petal Burst (236B+C): Ground only. Only works in the corner. Has minimum damage and sets up a safe-jump but costs two bars.
Choosing an Oki Route
- Explain the thought process that goes into picking an oki route.
This should cover topics such as: Identifying when you can do an oki route, what you get out of an oki route, how do the resources you and the enemy have change your choice of oki route, and when do you go for damage/mixup/safe pressure.