8 Directions, 6 Buttons
Dragon Ball FighterZ uses a layout very familiar to fighting game players.
It uses the D-Pad for 8-way direction input, not analog input (though the Analog Stick can be used).
There are 6 attack buttons in total: L (Light ), M (Medium ), H (Heavy ), S (Special ), A1 (Z Assist 1 ), A2 (Z Assist 2 )
- Super Dash (+, air OK)
- A homing dash attack that avoids ki blasts, but not beams and explosions. On hit, you can follow-up into a combo. On block, you recoil slightly and cannot immediately act.
- Dragon Rush (+, air OK)
- Dash forward and attack the enemy with an unblockable flurry of blows, resulting in a launcher. Effectively the basic throw of the game. Can not hit opponents in blockstun, but can be used mid-combo. Comboing into Dragon Rush will result in a sliding knockdown instead of a launcher. A character about to be hit by a Dragon Rush can press any button to tech out, causes the two characters to clash with a flurry of blows and then break away from each other. Pressing / during a successful Dragon Rush will knock out the opponent's character and swap in a new one depending on which button was used, similar to a Snapback in the Marvel vs. Capcom series.
- Z Assist (/, air OK)
- Call your teammate for support. Each character has a preset attack for Z Assist. After using a Z Assist, there's a cooldown on using that same teammate for another Z Assist or a Z Change. Cooldown will not commence while the opponent is in stun, but will continue if it has already commenced. Can call multiple assists at the same time. Can call assists in the middle of your own attacks (except during supers), but not while blocking/getting hit.
- Z Change (Hold /, air OK), Quick Z Change (+/, air OK)
- Switch your current character with a teammate. Your teammate comes in with a Super Dash. After using a Z Change, you cannot use your teammates for anything else for a short time. Following that, there's a cooldown on using the character that was called back for a Z Assist or another Z Change. Cooldown will not commence while the opponent is in stun, but will continue if it has already commenced.
- Ki Charge (+)
- Hold down to charge your Ki Gauge. Timer is paused while charging. Ki increases slowly at first but increases faster the longer Ki Charge is held.
- Z Reflect (+)
- Perform a push blocking animation that deflects ki blasts. Pushes opponents away if it deflects physical strikes. Can deflect both high and low attacks.
- Sparking Blast (+++, air OK)
- Does a GG/BB-esque Burst attack that increases your power and cancel options for a limited time. Affects the entire team. Can only be performed at neutral or by canceling a normal or special on hit or block. Comboing into Sparking Blast pops the opponent high into the air, similar to a P4A One More! Burst or a BBCS Gold Burst. Unlike GG/BB, Sparking Blast is not a defensive mechanic, as it can not be performed while in hitstun or blockstun. Costs 1 Sparking Blast Icon.
- Attack power increases
- Ki gain increases
- Point character blue health regenerates at a very fast rate
- Ground normals can be jump canceled, air normals can be dash canceled
- 6M can be special canceled
- Super Dash has reduced pushback and can cancel into attacks immediately on block
- Hold buttons during a Vanish to teleport behind the opponent without attacking and recover almost instantly
- Assist cooldown will start to recover even while the opponent is in hitstun or blockstun
- Sparking! lasts longer the fewer characters you have on your team
- Vanish (+, air OK)
- Teleport behind the opponent and attack. If done mid-combo, will wall bounce the opponent, allowing you to continue the combo. If done at neutral, will blow the opponent away instead. During Sparking!, hold M+H to teleport behind the opponent without attacking and recover almost instantly. Costs 1 Ki Gauge.
- Guard Cancel Change / Guard Cancel (+/ during blockstun)
- Switch your current character with a teammate while blocking. On hit, the opponent is knocked away. After using a Guard Cancel Change, you cannot use your teammates for anything else for a short time. Following that, there's a cooldown on using the character that was called back for a Z Assist or a Z Change. Cooldown will not commence while the opponent is in stun, but will continue if it has already commenced. If you have no teammates, Guard Cancel will teleport behind the opponent and attack them, similar to a Vanish. Costs 1 Ki Gauge.
- Ultimate Z Change (/ or +/ during a Super Attack or +/ or +/ after connecting an attack, air OK)
- Tag in with a teammate to perform their Super Attack or Meteor Attack. Inputting / during a Super Attack or +/ after connecting an attack performs the selected teammate's preset Super Attack, whereas inputting +/ during a Super Attack or +/ after connecting an attack performs the selected teammate's preset Meteor Attack. Characters tagging out will be on cooldown for Z Assist or Z Change, but a teammate can be brought in for an Ultimate Z Change regardless of their cooldown. Costs 1 or 3 Ki Gauges.