Goku is a shotoShort for "Shotokan"A character archetype defined by being similar in some way to Ryu from Street Fighter. Shotos usually have a horizontal fireball, an invulnerable reversal, and a forward moving special move. and grappler hybrid, in a sense. Although his tools are quite well rounded and easily comparable to his Super Saiyan counterpart, they're a bit trickier to put to their full potential or otherwise loaded with specific quirks. He also struggles to get as many slide knockdowns as other shoto characters in this game, and his Super Spirit Bomb level 3 cannot be used traditionally. However, Goku can still get the job more than done thanks to his versatility, Back Throw and his damage. Back Throw is a quick command grab giving Goku surprisingly effective and easy tick throwA throw done after attacks, as soon as throw invulnerability expires on the opponent, making it very hard to react to and escape from. as well as a sideswap. As for damage, Goku's Spirit Bomb and advanced combo routes help him chew out characters even without spending any meter, and his Kaioken super gets stronger with each of his allies that are downed. Lastly, his assists are great and make Goku an excellent addition to your team. Ultimately, Goku is easy to learn and hard to master, with a diverse toolkit that needs some labbing and a team to put to its max efficiency.
|"Low-ranker, elite, whatever. You can beat anyone...it's called hard work!"|
|Lore:||Son Goku (named directly after the Japanese naming of Journey to the West protagonist Sun Wukong) is a martial artist of incredible skill and renown. After defeating Piccolo Jr. At the 23rd Budokai, Goku would have a son, Son Gohan, and not long after would learn of his true heritage as a Saiyan, a member of a fearsome warrior race. His skills would only grow stronger after dying at the hands of his brother, and villainous Saiyan, Raditz, when he trained under the godly King Kai and learned a variety of new skills, including the strength-enhancing Kaio-ken technique and the devastating Spirit Bomb. Goku would go on to challenge and shock both Nappa and Vegeta, and would then set off to Namek to revive his fallen friends, constantly training to be stronger on the way.|
Goku is a quirky support character whose numerous tricks amount to massive damage, and gets even stronger with every fallen ally.
- Solid Pressure: Has access to many safe normals that incentivize staggers, further aided with Back Throw.
- Space Control: Numerous ki blasts and a beam allow him to control horizontal and vertical space. A charged Spirit Bomb tracks and beats most approach options.
- Extraordinary Super Damage: Kaioken X3/X20 and Super Spirit Bomb boast the highest raw Super damage in the game.
- Assist Variety: A is useful for combo extensions and blockstrings, and B is very unique in that it builds a large amount of bar while charging a level of Spirit Bomb.
- Last Character: Resources like Limit Break, late-game meter reserves, and even Sparking! allow Goku's damage with his upgraded Supers to skyrocket.
- Reversal: Super Spirit Bomb is Goku's only frame 1 invulnerable attack, but it's too slow to be used to escape pressure.
- Diva: To bring out the full potential of Base Goku, the team has to be structured around him to fully utilize the massive damage of his Supers.
- High/Low: His only low is 2M, making his standard high/low mix-up less than ideal.