Gotenks is a character that likes to get up in your face and make you block for a very, very long time - and he can open you up very easily off of it. He's very strange to play at first, but once you figure him out, you'll find a bunch of crazy mixups for both him *and* his team off of his A assist, as well as some very strong tools all-around such as his 236HS super, which sets up what is referred to as "Ghost Oki". Because of these tools, Gotenks can be a character that can constantly keep your opponent on their toes, guessing when and how they should be blocking something, and even if it's their turn to do anything. He can really force your opponent to be afraid, and you can take full advantage of that with his plethora of tools that'll control where the opponent goes and how you keep them down. He can even still utilize post-snap okizeme, a rarity in Season 3. However, Gotenks has to *get in* first. While this definitely isn't an issue for him, he can still struggle with it due to some stubby tools that can make it difficult if the opponent spaces themselves correctly. Moreover, Gotenks often needs resources to get his game started, such as meter or assists, sometimes both. Despite these flaws, he's still able to output some very scary situations for the opponent to be in and can be an absolute monster when he's in his best scenario, as well as having some strong support value due to his A assist.
Gotenks is the character for people who like constant rushdown and pressure, with many ways to keep the opponent guessing and/or blocking once they get the hit.
|"Ta-da! Here I am! The grim reaper of justice, Gotenks!"|
|Lore:||Son Goten, the secondborn son of Goku, and Trunks, the son of Vegeta, are childhood friends who play and train together. During Majin Buu's rampage on Earth, both boys were taught the secret of Fusion, the art of merging two fighters and their energies together into one stronger fighter. Thus, Gotenks was born: a powerful fighter who can effortlessly attain the power of Super Saiyan 3, but whose prowess is offset by a juvenile mindset and a penchant for dramatics.|
Gotenks hits strong and fast. His range is lacking due to his short limbs, but once he's in range, he can put pressure on his opponents and force them to go on the defensive.
- Pressure Monster: strong mixup and pressure game, many of his specials are safe on block and can lead to tricky resets, as well as being able to set up very long blockstrings that can be mixed up in various different ways. 236H is +1 on block, allowing him to maintain pressure solo.
- Small Stature: Gotenks' small frame can make it so certain combos do not work on him, and can help him avoid certain moves
- Powerful Assist: A Assist has arguably has the highest peak utility assist in the game; can be used to extend certain combos, get meterless sliding knockdowns and snapbacks, and has nifty block pressure with it's absurdly high amount of blockstun.
- Okizeme: Gotenks has incredible okizeme with 236H+S, allowing Gotenks to set up incredible pressure or reset scenarios for 1 bar.
- Snap Pressure: Gotenks is one of the few characters in season 3 to still have post-snap oki thanks to 214H, which allows him to still keep opponents in check with it.
- Poor Tracking: Assist A is not great in neutral, as it's tracking is rather lackluster, which also may hurt it in certain midscreen blockstrings. Also has a skill floor, requiring a bit of labbing to implement in a team.
- Small Buttons: Being small is a double-edged sword. His buttons are a bit stubby, they can easily whiff or be beaten out.
- Resource Hungry: two of his better pressure tools require meter, which can cause him to burn a lot of meter. Mixups without 236H+S or assists present can be a little weak.