A Fuzzy Jump is a defensive option select designed to avoid throws and overheads by taking advantage of the timing difference typically found between them and other faster attacks (typically mids and lows).
What is a Fuzzy Jump?
The command is fairly simple: , however understanding when it is useful and what it's supposed to accomplish will take a bit of explanation.
- What happens when you attempt a fuzzy jump?
- If the opponent goes for a throw or an overhead
- Then you will jump out since jump startup is throw invincible, and overheads are slow, giving you time to jump out
- If the opponent attempts a mid or a low
- Then depending on the timing you will either get hit or keep blocking
- If the opponent times their attack to give you just enough time to begin a jump, then you will be hit out of jump startup, however if opening is too big, then you will jump and be able to block the attack.
- If the opponent did not leave an opening (eg you are in blockstun) then you will block high for as long as you hold , then go back to crouch blocking.
In games that have an enhanced blocking like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, players usually add a Barrier/Faultless Defense input after going back to .