|Overview||Combos||Strategy/Counter Strategy||Full Frame Data||Discord|
|Notice:The contents of this page are out of date.
This can be due to patches to the game, or developments in the metagame. You can help by updating it.
Gran is a versatile ShotoShort for "shotokan"A character archetype defined by being similar in some way to Ryu or Ken Masters from Street Fighter. Shotos usually have a horizontal fireball, an invincible reversal, and a forward moving special move. character. Gran has a solid arsenal of moves which are fundamental to the fighting game genre. His reliable fireballA projectile which usually travels slowly across the screen in a horizontal path above the ground., DPDragon PunchA move that has invulnerability during its startup, long recovery, and a rising motion.s, and fast approaching moves combined with normals with few obvious flaws make Gran a very well rounded character who can play footsies well and get rewarding punishes.
|"I'll cross these boundless skies, to the place you promised- I'll find you no matter what, Dad."|
|Lore:||This hero's adventure began when he received a letter from his father asking him to come to the Island of the Astrals, Estalucia. Now he travels the skies with his flying lizard-like buddy, Vyrn, and the mysterious blue-haired girl who saved his life by linking it with her own, Lyria.|
Honest to a fault, he'll come to the aid of anyone who needs his assistance. Although his swordplay is rough and self-taught, he possesses the power to overcome any obstacle—thanks in no small part to Lyria's assistance.
|Voice:||English: Kyle McCarley/Japanese: Yuuki Ono|
|Gran is a well-rounded character with many solid tools.|
Gran's fastest button for pressure, great for frame traps and tick throws. It can link into c.M on regular hit for a hitconfirm. When done meaty, it can avoid some of the slower reversals.
A good upclose tool, post-nerf it is mostly combo filler but can frametrap against 6f c.L characters due to attack level. Can link into c.L on crouching hit.
Highest damage button that goes into auto combo, better choice for combo filler for the extra damage when applicable. Puts the opponent in huge hitstun on Counter Hit, allowing for a high damage combo in the corner. Has large active frames, so can be meatied late for plus frames on oki.
Despite being airborne, the second hit can be canceled into grounded attacks on the first few active frames. On clash, Gran can delay his button to get c.XX > j.L, but this is slower than c.XX > c.XXX.
Because of his speed, the second hit of Gran's autocombo can also be used as a soft reset point. While pausing here isn't safe, you are left close enough to your opponent to go into a low, throw, or overhead mixup if you're willing to take the risk that your opponent is mashing here or buffering DP. You can also use this point in the autocombo to stop and block(to bait a DP) or insert your own DP here to punish mashers. Against stronger or more paitent players, this point can also be used to transition into 2L pressure.
A faster close range poke at 6 frames, so it can punish some things from further away. Can combo into 214L>214M to round out a punish, but the cancel window is fairly tight.
His go to poke. Has the farthest reach of his normals and reaches far for its speed.
Has slightly less range than his f.M, but pulls his hurtbox back a bit. Great for counter poking. It has enough range to hit after you end your string with a fireball and doing so can catch mashing, but it's not recommended to do all the time because there are moves that will beat it.
Good range 2L that can link into itself as well as c.L and c.M. Really strong pressure tool as it works for low mixup and a frame trap. Can confirm into 214L>214M for knockdown
Good poke and common combo tool. +1 on block, making it a decent choice to use post c.M nerf as a pressure tool.
Really strong anti-air with a good hitbox in front and behind Gran, allowing him to beat out opponents jumping behind him. On CH, whiff 214L>2H>214M is a good damage combo with great corner carry, but when they're closer to the ground/to you you'll need to go for an alternate route. As of 2.0 Patch the increased start-up and the nerfs to many of Gran's other moves have made many corner combos unreliable at best or impossible to do. Notably corner 2H>5U is not only harder to go into but can't loop into itself reliably anymore.
Gran's sweep is very fast and very evasive. It goes under a lot more things than even it's animation would suggest. Sets up for a safejump on its own and after combos. As of 2.0 Patch,2U > SSBA is an increadibly unsafe poke at any point. It still combos into high damage, but with how unsafe SSBA is and ease to Evade it's a High Risk option to go for. 2U by itself have also been nerfed by being less evasive than before, but still works as a strong low profile.
Gran's fastest air normal. Has active frames from startup until it hits the ground.
Gran's best air-to-air normal. Has a small cross-up hitbox at the very beginning. It's use as a crossup is mostly outshined by j.U, but it's good to know that it's there.
Gran's longest reaching and most damaging jump-in. Hitbox is smaller/further up the closer it is to Gran's body.
Gran's j.U is a ridiculous jump-in and crossup attack. It hits all around him, which makes it by far his best jump in and arguably the best jump-in attack in the game. Use it after safejumps, use it whenever you're in the air. It's just that good. It's only real fault is that it's slower than most air normals, so you will have to use something else to air-to-air.
A chargable slash attack. Can be charged up to five levels and gains invulnerability at level five. Each level will also increase in damage and range.
Charge can be cancelled with L/M/H. Level is stored and resumes charging from the same level when using 5U again. Gran will auto cancel charge after Level 5, and once he's at Level 5, he can still delay the attack by holding 5U or cancel it like normal.
Level 4 and 5 will cause a wallbounce in the corner allowing for combo extensions.
It's also a decent pressure tool as it's 0 on block when spaced at the tip and also pulls Gran's hurtbox back a bit.
Can be used in some corner combos if an opponent is high enough after 2H.
Forward throw knocks opponent far away, but untech time is long enough so you can run in for a meaty or jump in. Great for driving your opponent towards the corner.
Back throw switches sides. Useful if you want to stick close to your opponent after as you will recover closer up than if you were to forward throw.
Between buttons such as c.L, 2L, c.M, and 2M, throw is a particularly strong mix-up option for Gran as it offers many tick throw opportunities. Gran's ability to convert the opponent's whiffed throw techs into enormous damage also serves to make his throw mix up game all the more scary.
Same use as most overheads, checking for low blocks and getting counter hits on late buttons or throws. Gran gets really good reward off of CH Overhead in the corner due to his explosive corner damage, enough to end the round from half health with all specials and super. As of 2.0 Patch Gran can get a stronger Midscreen combo thanks to the changes to H Reginleiv, allowing for follow-ups and better damage.
236X or S
Projectile. Gran's traditional fireball.
- L version - Standard fireball. Travels fairly fast and across the screen. Serves as a safe ender for his block strings and pokes
- M version - Gran slashes upward before shooting out a projectile. The first slash cancels out projectiles. Useful to turn projectile wars more in your favor as you can cancel out incoming projectiles with the upward slash before throwing out a projectile of your own. Also is helpful in throwing off your opponent's timing when trying to dodge 236L. Serves as a better blockstring ender than 236L, and as of the 2.0 Patch there's no Gap in-between the two hits.
- H version - A grown man 3-hit fireball. As of the 2.0 Patch H ReginLeiv does NOT knockdown, but instead leaves them standing. Depending on distance and the state of the opponent, it allows for combos afterwards. At least +7 on hit, allowing for follow-ups even midscreen provided that the opponent is close enough to be hit. Primarily a combo and pressure tool, as it has lost a lot of its neutral prowess due to the nerf.
Rising Sword 
623X or 6S
Invincible rising uppercut. Useful both as a damaging combo ender and a tool to escape pressure, at the risk of being highly punishable on block or whiff.
- L Version: Air unblockable during the early active frames. Technically the least unsafe on block and can be difficult to punish at far ranges due to the pushback and shorter recovery than the other versions, but don't count on it. As of 2.0 Patch L version is slower and has increased Recovery, making it much easier punish.
- M Version: Standard non-H combo ender for damage. Also air unblockable during the early active frames.
- H Version: Double the uppercuts. Hard knockdown. There is a small gap in-between the two strikes. The entire first strike is air unblockable, however invincibility wears off before the second strike.
Overdrive Surge 
214X or 4/2S
- L Version: Gran dashes forward with a slash. Safest version of 214X at point blank. Can cancel into 214M on hit or block. On hit, 214L > 214M serves as his standard meterless combo ender. On block can be used to test your opponent's willingness to mash after 214L lest they risk a Counter Hit 214M. As of 2.0 Patch follow-up causes no Wall Bounce on Counter Hit, only knocks down.
- M Version: Gran dashes forward with his foot out. Covers a lot of horizontal space in front of him. As of 2.21 Patch no longer punishable on hit from point blank, but still negative enough to lose your turn. On block safety ranges depending on the range used. At point blank, Gran is punishable. However at farther lengths it can be spaced out to be safe and at most be 0 on block. On Counter Hit causes extended hitstun for a follow-up combo, but doesn't allow for a combo at point blank. Doesn't reliably combo from far pokes and the reduced hitbox and increased hurtbox with weak reward on hit makes it in the current meta a very mediocre move.
- H Version: Similar to 214M, but Gran dashes forward faster. Cannot be canceled into from 214L. Causes a wall bounce in the corner on hit regardless of counter hit, allowing for additional follow ups. Exercise caution as depending on the opponent's height when used, it can cause them to fall behind Gran after the wall bounce, possibly causing a side switch with yourself in the corner.
236236H or 236S
Metered advancing invulnerable move. Deals big damage but has a short reach. Try using it when you're close to your opponent.
Super Skybound Art
236236U or 236S+U
Gran charges and throws out an invulnerable projectile move. It can travel across the screen, however if used at point blank it will be followed by a massive blast by the summoned Proto Bahamut. Deals a lot of chip damage on block which can setup for a chip kill afterwards. After 2.0 Patch, extremely unsafe to the point where Vaseraga gets a free f.H for punish.
|To edit frame data, edit values in GBVS/Gran/Data. Be sure to update both the |
Click [★] for character's full frame data