Guts Rating: 4
Defense Modifier: x0.87
Stun Resistance: 80
Strengths: Great damage and defense.
Weaknesses: Low mobility, easy to hit.
Movement Options: 1 Double Jump
- See also: Potemkin Full Frame Data
Note for the Guard section in the tables:
- H: can block while standing
- L: can block while crouching
- F: can block while in the air only with Faultless Defense
- All: can be blocked however
- All attacks can be blocked with aerial Faultless Defense unless stated otherwise.
|Dead Angle Attack|
|Hammer Fall Break
P during Hammer Fall
63214H during Heat Knuckle
|Aerial Potemkin Buster
4123641236P during Giganter
|Heavenly Potemkin Buster
- General Strategy
Good defense is Potemkin's most reliable asset. Damage and fear comes naturally, but bad defense can't be made up for. Learn to Instant Block and Slashback, and use these tools as often as you can. Learn blockstrings for other characters and figure out their weak points where you can Instant Block or Slashback > Potemkin Buster to turn the tables on their pressure. Don't forget about Faultless Defense, either. Sometimes FD will get you out of a situation that IB won't.
Potemkin is huge, and he has huge Guts, but don't delude yourself into thinking this makes you safe. If you play smart and avoid putting yourself in bad situations, you can stay on top of the match and open up more opportunities to unleash your ridiculous damage potential.
Potemkin is slow, but don't let that scare you from moving forward. It builds tension, keeps your opponent in range of your normals, and it's just plain scary. If you get a Sliding Head at long range, walking forward can build more tension than Hammer Fall, though obviously it won't get you as close. If you go to the air, avoid Super Jumping. Regular jumps get you about as far forward, and you can hold on to your double jump to avoid attacks or adjust to your opponent's positioning.
- Basic Combos
- 5P > 5K > 2S > 2D
- Sometimes you're just not close enough to get 2H to connect.
- 5P > 5K > c.S > 2S > 2H > 623H (Extend)
- The full chain is actually very unlikely because the total knock back tends to put them out of 2H range. 5K > 2S > 2H or 5P > c.S > 2S > 2H are more likely.
- 5P > 5K > c.S > 2S > 2H > Hammer Fall Break, j.P > j.K > jc.Aerial Potemkin Buster - 25% Tension
- TK with 63214'7'6D to get additional corner carry. In the corner you can follow up with 5P > c.S> jc.APB or 5K > 2H > HPB.
- 5P > 5K > c.S > 2S > 2H > 632146H > Follow up... - 50% Tension
The full chain is actually not possible on most of the cast, again you should usually keep it short. Even at point blank it won't work on any of the light weights and some strange hitboxes. Follow ups are character and screen position specific. Bullet, 5H/2H > 623H is often available.
- 6K > 2H > Heat Knuckle (Extend)
- 6K has a fair amount of knock back and not much in terms of gatlings so sometimes going straight to 2H>623H is just what you want to do.
- 6K > Hammerfall(FRC), 5H/2H > 623H
Very very tight. You must immediately begin charging hammerfall right after you input the 6K and swing immediately straight to 6H when the hitstop (not to be confused with hitstun) ends. Why do this when it is so painfully difficult? Besides the greater combo potential with meter, Hammerfall's armor absorbs bursts. You can even hammerfall frc hammerfall frc etc to kill someone with a burst.
- Counter Hit 6P , (f.S) > 2S > 623H
- 6P's a great anti-air and this gives you plenty of time to confirm the CH. This is an easy pick up you can do from a 6P CH confirm without committing to a jump. 2S will work on opponents of any weight in almost any combinations of jump heights and distances. Be careful not to 2S too Early off of a CH 6P as it might go under them.
- Counter Hit 6P , j.H |> c.S/f.S > 623H
J.H needs to come out close to landing but before your opponent hits the floor (some guys fall fast!). Works on most characters (not Johnny) on a grounded CH. Also works on anti air CH against characters that aren't too light. Careful, anti air some combinations of heights and weights give you a c.S when you need a f.S.
- Counter Hit 6P > 632146H ...
You can super cancel late by doing 6321467H to confirm the 6P.
Counter Hit 2H
- Counter Hit 2H, 2H > Heat Knuckle (Extend)
- Counter Hit 2H, f.S > 2S > 2H > Heat Knuckle (Extend) (If you're in the corner it will be c.S instead, but the combo is otherwise the same.)
Potemkin Buster FRC
- Potemkin Buster FRC, 2S > Heat Knuckle (Extend) - 25% Tension
- Works on pretty much everybody, at any position on screen.
- Potemkin Buster FRC, (5S >) 2S > 2H > Heavenly Potemkin Buster - 75% Tension
- Corner: Potemkin Buster FRC, 2H > Heat Knuckle (Extend) - 25% Tension
- Corner: Potemkin Buster FRC, 5H > Giganter, 2H > Heat Knuckle (Extend) - 75% Tension
- Corner: Potemkin Buster FRC, 5H > Giganter, 6H > Hammer Fall FRC Heat Knuckle (Extend) - 100% Tension
After Sliding Head
- Hammer Fall > Break, 5K > (5S >) 2S > Heat Knuckle (Extend)
- 5S can be used on "heavier" characters, otherwise skip straight to 2S.
- Hammer Fall > Break, 5K > (5S >) 2S > 2H > Heavenly Potemkin Buster - 50% Tension
- vs. Slayer, Baiken: Super Jump j.S |> (c.S >) f.S > Heat Knuckle (Extend) (Depending on timing you might get f.S instead of c.S, just go with it.)
- vs. Slayer, Baiken: Super Jump j.S |> 6P > Giganter > Giganter Bullet > 2S > Heat Knuckle - 50% Tension
- For these combos, you want the j.S to hit at the last stage of its animation, where Potemkin's hands are under him.
- Other Combos
- Late j.S or j.H |> c.S > 2S > 2H > Heat Knuckle (Extend)
- A j.S or j.H thrown late is the only thing that's likely to give you a ground combo.
- On some characters, in the corner, you can squeeze in a 5K upon landing for a little extra damage.
Counter Hit j.S
- Counter Hit j.S |> Heat Knuckle (Extend)
- Counter Hit j.S |> walk forward c.S > f.S > Heat Knuckle (Extend)
- Counter Hit j.S |> Giganter -> Bullet... - 50% Tension
- j.S has great ground bounce and untech time on counter hit, giving you a ton of options. These just happen to be the easiest.
Alternate Color Chart