Anji is an all-around character whose main mechanic is his autoguard, which allows him to block during portions of some of his attacks. He can work at close to mid range with varying degrees of effectiveness. His tools, while each strong in specific situations, don't fit any "jack of all trades scenarios", making Anji tricky both to play and to deal with.
Anji has an extensive mixup game with a variety of lows, overheads, and throws which can break open opponents who don't know what to do. His most unique tools include Autoguard, Late Cancelling, and 3S Cancel, all explained below. Unaware opponents can be run over by his quite soundly, while experienced foes will force Anji to mix up which autoguard he uses with his other tools to greater effect.
Anji Mito is an all around character whose game is centered on his autoguard.
- Potent okizeme: When given a butterfly setup, Anji gets access to strong mixup and an unblockable setup with meter.
- Tricky mixup tools: 3P, Fuujin followups, and an anti-air grab give Anji some good tools for opening up targets.
- Guard points: Several normals allow Anji to proceed unimpeded through abare attempts, and cancel his blocks into even stronger options.
- Strong aerial and mobility options: Air stalls, ON, and a unique super jump give Anji some good aerial tools.
- High guts rating: Despite an average defense modifier, his guts level lets Anji survive longer than expected.
- Easily gone around: Many moves can be easily reversal'd, low profiled, or avoided and punished hard.
- Lackluster meterless damage: Requires tension or counter hits for combos to really hurt.
- Shut down by counters to Butterfly Oki: Reversals and characters with means around it can put Anji in a struggle.
- No reliable reversals: None of Anji's options besides DAA can reliably get him out of pressure.
- Very specialized: Anji has a wider moveset than normal, and each move is necessary for specific situations.
Several of Anji's moves have a property where they will automatically block moves that make contact, depending on the type of move: Low Autoguard will only block lows, and High Autoguard will block mids and highs. He can cancel his move into one of four Autoguard Followups if he blocks something during autoguard, and these are very fast and in some cases are guaranteed to connect.
Anji's normals have a property in which they can all
be cancelled at any point during their active and recovery
frames into a special move as long as they made contact, giving Anji the ability to turn any gatling string into a Frame Trap. Example link, turn on the CC for explanation
3S is a particular normal that can be cancelled during frames 8-10 of its startup into 5S or 5H, allowing for very unique blockstrings and cancels that other characters cannot perform. Example Link