Slayer is a space controlling monster who scores obscene levels of damage off of counter hits, effectively being a conditioning monster once he gets into range. Solid whiff punishes, great juking tools, BDC, and overall being very strong at mid to close range can make Slayer a monster once he really gets into the opponent's head. In particular, BDC (Backdash cancel) allows Slayer to transfer the invincibility from his back (or forward) teleport dashes into the next move he does, which not only gives his offense additional prowess, but allows him to circumvent blocking with one a very powerful defensive tool.
On the flip side, Slayer has limited solid gatlings as opposed to the rest of the cast, and is a bit reliant on links for real conversions. His mobility is very limited and he has trouble dealing with zoning, and can easily eat it just as bad as he deals it if he makes a poor move. BDC can take quite a bit of time to perform consistently, and that added on top of his reliance on links can make Slayer a make-or-break character.
However, put together, Slayer's strengths can be truly frightening, and one good read can give Slayer the chance to end the game.
|"You need to stop looking up all the time. Sooner or later, you're going to trip on something."|
|Lore:||Founder and former head of the Assassin's Guild, and fisticuffs vampire extraordinaire, Slayer spends his days writing bad poetry and roaming the Earth for good, gentlemanly bouts. In AC, he decides that his time spend meddling in the mortal realm has been long overextended, so he sets out to send off his salutations by crossing fists with those he's grown fond of over the years, and in particular, seems to find a touch of surprise in crossing fists with the P.W.A.B...|
Slayer focuses on controlling space with his solid pokes and punish tools, which allows him to effectively land hits on opponents who are too tempted to just mash buttons on him while also being able to build up respectable presence that can allow him to pressure his foes freely.
- High damage: Very high damage output from launch, counter hit, and Overdrive confirms/conversions.
- Backdash Cancel (BDC): The ability to transfer BD invul lets Slayer circumvent blocking, and allows for a powerful mixup/frame trap game.
- Excellent buttons: Pokes and anti-air options are generally fairly safe, have good hitboxes, and lead to good damage.
- Effective punish tools: Dandy Step followups, higher reward CH buttons, and overdrives all can effectively lay the hurt on a single punish.
- Excellent Overdrives: DOT, Eternal Wings, and DHD all lead to substantial damage and have incredible reach.
- Bite: Command throw opens up and restores his own life.
- Limited mobility: A tall hurtbox, teleport dash, and slow walkspeed means Slayer needs to juke often to get in.
- Difficulty with zoning: Has no real means of dealing with extended buttons or projectiles besides going around them.
- Limited ground gatlings: Limited grounded pressure game can be difficult to access without links.
- Counter-hit or meter dependent: Extended-combo-reward on hit is lacking without a CH or meter dump.
- BDC Difficulty: Backdash Cancel requires solid execution and timing to master effectively.
- Most of his tools can easily be low-profiled, on top of some tools being unsafe if used haphazardly due to having obvious reactionary answers.