Yosuke Hanamura (P4Arena)
Yosuke Hanamura, affectionately nicknamed "Brosuke" is the first party member Yu Narukami acquires in Persona 4. Yosuke's family moved from the big city to Inaba because of his father's work as the manager of the Junes mall. Yosuke inner struggle is his resentment for moving from the city to "the boonies", which he overcomes with the aid of Yu. In Persona 4: Arena, Yosuke uses a pair of kunai and his Persona is Jiraiya.
- Speed, mobility, mixups, Poison, Confusion
- Low life, Combos typically place the opponent in the air instead of gaining knockdown oki.
- Movement Options
- 1 Double Jump/Airdash, Run-type Dash, 3(4 in Sukukaja) Air Actions between Moonsault, Kunai, and Mirage Slash.
- Yosuke uses his high mobility and persona to get in on his opponents, then perform various mixups with his post-Moonsault options. He can even use Tentarafoo to Confuse his opponents and make things even more challenging to block. At low life, Yosuke can use Sukukaja to make himself even faster and add additional canceling options to his normals to make his rushdown even more scary.
 Move List
- See also: Yosuke Full Frame Data
 Normal Attacks
|Guard Cancel Attack|
| All Out Attack
 Persona Attacks
| Ground Throw
| Air Throw
| Dash Spring
| Flying Kunai
j.236C/D or j.214C/D
j.236A/B or j.214 A/B
| Crescent Slash
A/B during Moonsault
| Mirage Slash
236236C/D air OK
| Brave Blade
Yosuke is a fast, rushdown character with tools for nearly every situation. Your main aim during matches is to get close to the opponent and open them up with fast cross-ups and his plethora of strong normals.
Yosuke has a strong pressure and cross-ups but a weak high/low game seeing as he only has his slow and unsafe AoA for a grounded overhead and no way to instant-overhead the cast. However, the fact that his 5B is plus on block will mean that it is very easy to frame-trap foes who like to hit buttons. Something as simple as Normals > 5B > (5B ends) 5A can easily open up mashy opponents and give you the upper hand due to Yosuke's 5a both having a 5 frame start-up AND hitting crouchers. Once you become more familiar with using 5b in blockstrings, you can begin to incorporate other mix-ups too:
5B > Dash Throw (Throw mix-up) 5B > (5B ends) 5A > Dash Throw (Throw mix-up) 5B > AoA (Overhead) 5B > (5B ends) 2A (Low)
This is very basic pressure and mix-up that is always available as a staple of Yosuke's offense. He also has more options to mix-up the opponent using normals that are jump cancellable on block such as 5AA, 2B and 5A. These allow Yosuke to use of the 'air turn' mechanic in this game to perform cross-ups that would be impossible in other fighting games. Such crossups include:
JCable normal > 9A+C > J.C/B/A
You can then use these normals' special cancellable properties to cancel them into Moonsault (J.236A/B) and cross the opponent up again for an effective mix-up. Another move to keep note of when pressuring the opponent is Tentarafoo (236C/D), this move in unblockable and puts the opponent into a confused state on hit. So use it from time to time to keep the opponent on their toes.
At mid-range you will ideally want to be trying to get close to them with Yosuke so that you can begin your mix-ups. However, this does not mean that he is helpless or weaker at this range. In fact, he is probably one of the strongest characters. This is due to his large normals, when combined with his very fast walk speed and his even faster dash, meaning that he has a very effective footsies game at mid-range. What you will want to be doing is aiming to punish the opponents whiffed normals. To do this, you will want to hover just outside of their best poking normal's range and, when they inevitably do press a button, punish the whiff by dashing in and using a poke of your own. Some notable normals to use at this range are 5B, 5A and 2A. Sweep can also be used in certain match-ups due to it low profiling some moves, but it is unsafe on block so use it warily. In the event that the opponent is too scared to push buttons around this range, congratualtions, you've just got in for free. A max range 5B should ensure a relatively safe entry for Yosuke.
Yosuke's aim at long-range is to get into mid/short-range where he excels. Chances are if you are in this position on the screen you are being zoned by one of the characters in this game. Whilst projectiles and zoning tools can be a problem for some characters, never fear, because Mr Hanamura's got the tools you need to get in. A notable tool for such a situation is 236AB, his EX Dash Spring. Now, while this does require 25 meter, it is fully projectile invincible and leads into a juicy 2.5K+ on counter hit.
But, this is not the only tool Yosuke has for approaching the opponent. He also has a meterless option known as 'gliding', which not only acts as a great way to approach and pressure the enemy, it also functions as a pathway to his trickier mix-ups. Such as: (These are all performed off of normals that are jump cancellable on hit, most notably 2C, which is used in his combo string 5C > 2C.)
IAD glide J.A, this hits overhead and forms the first part of the mix-up. It also leads into pretty good damage if you are able to hitconfirm it correctly. But, if you continuously use it it becomes rather easy to react to. In which case you use it alongside....
IAD glide > land> 2A, this is the low part and is very hard to react to when combined with J.A. This is due to the J.A hitting at around the opponent's thigh/knee level, so a frame or two more delay and that overhead turns into a very fast low.
IAD glide > land> throw, another mix-up option that is also very hard to react to when you're using the other two in tandem. Though this gives the lowest reward meterless, it does poison them and place you in a good position to run back in and continue pressure as per usual. With 50 SP you can OMC it for a decent damage combo.
In a nutshell, 'gliding' is a technique that greatly increases Yosuke's already impressive mobility. It involves doing an air dash, cancelling the air dash into his J.2B, and then kara-cancelling into the side swap (A+C). The input for an IAD glide looks like this:
What happens is Yosuke will maintain the initial movement speed of his air dash and will dive down much quicker than he normally would from an air dash. The most important part of this though, is that he is able to block the entire time he is gliding. This means that he is able to bait R-Actions during pressure, approach the enemy safely from the air among other useful applications.
This technique is the most important to learn with Yosuke. SO LEARN IT!
As always, Yosuke has a great number of options even on the defense. First and foremost, he has his R-Action.
Now, everyone has one of these, but what sets Yosuke apart from the main pack is that his is very very good at its job. It's a counter R-Actions that has a very large active window, activates off of ANYTHING and results in 500 damage and, more importantly, a knocked down opponent right by Yosuke's feet. There are ways to bait this R-Action even if it activated though, and if the opponent is behind Yosuke when he goes to trip them it will whiff and you will be punished hard.
His 5 frame 5A also provides him with another defensive options. IB > 5A can interrupt blockstrings that are not tight enough and tip the momentum in your favour.
If the opponent is approaching from the air, don't fear. Yosuke has one of the best anti-airs in the game in the form of his 2B. This baby has a monstrous hitbox, is air unblockable, is easy to hitconfirm and is jump cancellable on block! Just don't whiff it if you want to live.
[i] = Install Starter
Combo = Challenge Mode Combo
DM: = Damage
SP: = SP Gain
 Beginner Combos
- [i] 5Ax12 [DM:3074/SP:37%(-50%)]
- 2Ax2 > 2B > 2AB [DM:634/SP:6%]
- j.C > 5B > 2AB [DM:972/SP:6%]
- 5A > 5B > 5C > 236A > j.236D [DM:1350/SP:12%]
- 2C > 236B > j.236A~A > j.236D [DM:2735/SP:16%]
- j.236A~Ax3 [DM:2094/SP:13]
- j.B > j.2B > dj.Bx3 > j.2B [DM:1173/SP:8%]
- 5DD > j.B > j.2B > dj.B > j.2B > j.236D > j.236236D [DM:3516/SP:14%(-50%)]
- [i] 5Ax4 > Delay > 5A > j.2C > 236B > j.236D [DM:2601/SP:39%]
- 5A > 5C > 2C > 236B > j.236D [DM:1873/SP:14%]
- 5A > 5C > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:2692/SP:22%]
- 2A > 5A > 5C > 2C > 2AB > 236A > j.236D [DM:1605/SP:16%]
- CH 2A > 5C > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:2405/SP:22%]
- 5C > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:2977/SP:21%]
- j.B > j.2B > dj.Bx3 > j.236D [DM:1544/SP:11%]
- j.B > 5B > 5C > 2C > 236A > j.236D [DM:2004/SP:15]
- j.C > 5A > 5C > 2C > 236A > j.236D [DM:2047/SP:16]
- FC 2C > 236B > j.2C > 2A > 2B > 2C > j.B > j.2B > dj.B > j.2B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:4612/SP:34%]
- j.236CD > 66 > j.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:1778/SP:(-25%)1%]
- 236A > OMC > j.B > 5A > 5C > 2C [DM:1456/SP:4%(-25%)1%]
- 236C > 214214C > 66 > 5B > 2C > 66 > 5B > 5C > 66 > 5B > 2B > j.B > j.2B > dj.B > j.2B > j.236D [DM:2788/SP:2%(-50%)2%]
- CH 236A > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:2117/SP:17%]
- 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:1914/SP:17%]
- 236C > OMC > 66 > 5C > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:3077/SP:2%(-50%)2%]
- j.236A~A > j.236A > Delay > j.A > j.2C [DM:2312/SP:15%]
- j.236AB > j.2C > OMB > Delay >  > 2B > 2C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:3831/SP:(-25%)2%]
- CH j.2C > 2B > 2C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:3272/SP:21%]
- j.2C > OMB > Delay >  > 2B > 2C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:3371/SP:8%]
- j.2C > OMB > Delay >  > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:3845/SP:8%]
- j.2C > OMB > Delay >  > 2C > 5C > 236AB > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:4173/SP:7%(-25%)1%]
- AoA~C > j.Bx4 > dj.Bx3 [DM:2676/SP:26%]
- 5CD > OMB >  > 2B > 2C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:2378/SP:4%]
- AoA~C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:2926/SP:29%]
SP Skill Starter
- 236236C > OMB > 5C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:4977/SP:(-50%)1%]
- 236236C > OMB > 236236C [DM:4403/SP:(-100%)]
- 5Ax2 > 5B > 5C > 2C > 2AB [DM:1470/SP:11%]
- 5Ax2 > 5B > 5C > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:2837/SP:25%]
- 5Ax3 > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:2165/SP:35%]
- 5D> IAD J.BB > 5Ax2 > 5B > 5C > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D > j.236236C [DM:4372/SP:-
- See Midscreen Skill Starter
- AoA~D(FC) > 2B > 2C > 5C > j.C > 2B > 5C > 236C [DM:3003/SP:30%]
- AoA~D(FC) > 2B > 2C > 5C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:3139/SP:33%]
- Block~6AB > OMB > Delay > 2B > 2C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:1434/SP:(-50%)2%]
- Block~6AB > OMB > Delay > 2C > 236B > [j.236A~A]x2 > j.236D [DM:1746/SP:(-50%)2%]
SP Skill Starter
- 236236C > OMB > Delay > 2B > 2C > j.BB > j.2B > dj.BB > j.2B > j.236D [DM:4649/SP:(-50%)1%]