Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CSE] Valkenhayn Self - Improvement and Critique Thread

Post videos of yourself so that you can get constructive criticism from others.

I'll get the ball rollin'

Yea I have a hard time catching ppl with the 8k stuff. I got those combos just haven't found ways to land it yet' date=' but I still do nice dmg though off what I get. Are you talking about [w']j.A or [w]5A I shouldn't spam, and what can punish it so I know.... Also I have more vids in the set. You watch a few more and you'll see some more dmg'ing combos, once I kinda got better at fighting him. Leo7 tells me I need to also abuse wolf movement more. Do you think that would be wasting wolf meter hopping and flying around more??

http://youtu.be/lMuafs65BC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEiskO2I4PY&feature=plcp&context=C35c0b3cUDOEgsToPDskIrhK8TZpQGaNN8Oinsj2V-

First Video:

-First match: You IB'd Ragna's HF and that makes it worse on block. You could've punished it with 2A - 2C - combo to place him in the corner but instead you blocked it. You may have not been sure about the punish, but it's something valuable to know. I also agree with Leo that you should be abusing wolf movement ALOT more. You're making it far to easy for the Ragna player to catch you. Frustrate him by wolf cannons, using [w]66D to get him etc. I also you should ake more advantage of the corner pressure you can deliver. You're making it too easy for him to get out, or even retaliate (non - reversal wise)

There are a few times where you also could've taken advantage of more damage. For example, you got a 5C on CH, and you also got a 5B > 5C link on Ragna when he was crouching but you didn't connect that into Rozen.

3:18 - Nice air command grab, though I think you waste alot meter by using j.214B stuff.

-Second Match: The same as above really. You just need to move around alot more in wolf movement, of course while conserving meter. There were also many situations you could've gotten out easily from if you used wolf. Didn't know you could 5B Ragna out of his 6B.

-Third Match: Same thing really. There is better pressure you can inflict rather than ending with 236A all the time. Like 5B - jcd - 3C - Pressure/grab stuff, using 6B etc. You also got a 5C - Rozen which you could've continues into [w] -j.B - j.A - land 5D - 2C - 6C for better damage.

-Fourth match: Again there is better pressure you can inflict in the corner other than using 6C or 236A. Once you did 6B on block, you could've done it into 3C for a tight blockstring rather than 236B if you felt the player would DP, and if not, you could vary pressure more by going into 5B/2B. There are so many better options after a 6B rather than 236B.

To wrap the first vid up:

-You need to vary your pressure alot to confuse the player. It's like you're autopiloting all those stuff which makes it easy to react to/predictable

-You use j.214B which usually burns your meter (outside combos)

-You need to learn to take advantage of better damaging combos once you land your hits

-You need to abuse the wolf movement more

Post videos of yourself so that you can get constructive criticism from others.

I'll get the ball rollin'

First Video:

-First match: You IB'd Ragna's HF and that makes it worse on block. You could've punished it with 2A - 2C - combo to place him in the corner but instead you blocked it. You may have not been sure about the punish, but it's something valuable to know. I also agree with Leo that you should be abusing wolf movement ALOT more. You're making it far to easy for the Ragna player to catch you. Frustrate him by wolf cannons, using [w]66D to get him etc. I also you should ake more advantage of the corner pressure you can deliver. You're making it too easy for him to get out, or even retaliate (non - reversal wise)

There are a few times where you also could've taken advantage of more damage. For example, you got a 5C on CH, and you also got a 5B > 5C link on Ragna when he was crouching but you didn't connect that into Rozen.

3:18 - Nice air command grab, though I think you waste alot meter by using j.214B stuff.

-Second Match: The same as above really. You just need to move around alot more in wolf movement, of course while conserving meter. There were also many situations you could've gotten out easily from if you used wolf. Didn't know you could 5B Ragna out of his 6B.

-Third Match: Same thing really. There is better pressure you can inflict rather than ending with 236A all the time. Like 5B - jcd - 3C - Pressure/grab stuff, using 6B etc. You also got a 5C - Rozen which you could've continues into [w] -j.B - j.A - land 5D - 2C - 6C for better damage.

-Fourth match: Again there is better pressure you can inflict in the corner other than using 6C or 236A. Once you did 6B on block, you could've done it into 3C for a tight blockstring rather than 236B if you felt the player would DP, and if not, you could vary pressure more by going into 5B/2B. There are so many better options after a 6B rather than 236B.

To wrap the first vid up:

-You need to vary your pressure alot to confuse the player. It's like you're autopiloting all those stuff which makes it easy to react to/predictable

-You use j.214B which usually burns your meter (outside combos)

-You need to learn to take advantage of better damaging combos once you land your hits

-You need to abuse the wolf movement more

I'll watch the second one later tonight unless someone makes comments and leaves something out that I would've liked to say.

I doubt the guy will read all this shit, well i did if it makes you feel good haha ill just post what i wrote to him which is the same shit only extremely shortened out

As long as youre not a prick about listening to others opinions

i doubt anyone would mind you posting here and talking it about since this is a discussion ON a video

Heres a list:

You mash 6As that introduced the other guy to some good damage that fucked you up

You waste wolf meter dont zoom out after biting (pressing c twice diagonally)

you spam wolf bites, dont do that shit against someone that knows what theyre doing

learn to use bursts properly

this isnt cs2 stop spamming torpedos on foot its not safe its time to learn that

and learn some fucking combos nigga theyre not hard

Since it really is important to playing Valk, I'm also going that you should abuse his wolf movement in neutral more. Flying around the screen and making the other guy impatient both opens up more options of approach and gets the opponent to do something you can take advantage of.

You should also vary up your approaches more. At the beginning of those two videos, horizontal wolf cannons were consistently hitting the opponent and leading into a combo. As time went on, your opponent adapted to that and an increasing number of your wolf cannons were either interrupted with HF or blocked. Mix in coming in from above and just moving forward for [w]5A/j.A to take advantage of him respecting the wolf cannons and open him up.

Look into optimizing your punishes and hitconfirms. You can punish a blocked Carnage Scissors with 2C/6B, and there was a point where he whiffed an ID, but you only attempted to punish with [h]5B. Aim for hitconfirming into Rozen on a crouching opponent; even if you landed two 2As, you should be able to land a simple combo into a bit more damage/meter gain off of Rozen than 3C > 236A.

0:39 - Sometimes it would be better to use j.C > 2C > 236C because you could be out of range and the 6B could whiff.

I can't think of anything else much to say except I feel you should be careful with using 2C on block if you wish to opt for further pressure because the knockback is pretty strong. I feel you could make your valk pressure a little more scary by attempting some 2A > wolf mixups for example. There were times where you pinned Litchi down but you retreated.

Your defense is good and you're not too reliant on wolf mode in this particular MU which is good. I do think you could be careful with w[7C] stuff though since Litchi could catch you in the air with itsuu stuff.

I'll try to think about the 2A stuff. A few problems with combos here and there but I practiced since then, trying to get optimal dmg out of everything. Could you point out the points at which I retreated? I see 1:12, though it pretty much paid off in the end lol.

0:42 (3C would be an option to apply further offense) 0:56 / 1:08 (you had her in the corner) and 2:52. I will not argue though since you may have had your reasoning for doing so.

I notice a lot of Valks are super reliant on wolf IAD > rehuman movement lol. Try mixing it up, you have other approaches, it becomes too obvious if you just mix up your air approach between wolf IAD > rehuman and random w.j7Cs.

I admit in certain match-ups I'm super reliant on it too, but two movement options that I think most Valk players should learn how to abuse first and foremost:

- Learning to approach your opponent by just by running on the ground, cause wolf walk speed is ridiculous, and it's possible to play footsies with w5A.

- Learning when to use cannons in neutral as a movement option and as a way to score counterhits (they don't use that much wolf gauge compared to Rasen).

I will not argue though since you may have had your reasoning for doing so.

Oh, looking back, I think you are right and I should be more aggressive in these situations. + It's not the first time I was told this :P

I notice a lot of Valks are super reliant on wolf IAD > rehuman movement lol. Try mixing it up, you have other approaches, it becomes too obvious if you just mix up your air approach between wolf IAD > rehuman and random w.j7Cs.

I admit in certain match-ups I'm super reliant on it too, but two movement options that I think most Valk players should learn how to abuse first and foremost:

- Learning to approach your opponent by just by running on the ground, cause wolf walk speed is ridiculous, and it's possible to play footsies with w5A.

- Learning when to use cannons in neutral as a movement option and as a way to score counterhits (they don't use that much wolf gauge compared to Rasen).

True, I've used Wolf cannon a lot recently and scored a lot of CHs. Still trying to get rid of autopilot sometimes :sweatdrop:

Also seen The Biter's w5A footsies at BBRev qualifiers. Gonna try to mix it up. Oh yeah, and starting as a human 9D > 6D is very nice too, people often get caught off guard by it, but it's still pretty similar to wolf IAD in a way I guess...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpAmvrCAt-c

Yes, I know, I screw up about everything possible in here. I need to work on actually confirming stuff, actually executing combos, not using 632146D so much, and...probably about everything else as well :v:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpAmvrCAt-c

Yes, I know, I screw up about everything possible in here. I need to work on actually confirming stuff, actually executing combos, not using 632146D so much, and...probably about everything else as well :v:

General movement and spacing is defintely what I noticed you need to work on, especially in the mirror match. There were alot of times you could have anti-aired with [w]5B or 2C for that grown man damage. Also be more unpredictable in your wolf movement, more than just straight [w]5C dashing. It's ok to waste that meter sometimes on the other directions to confuse your opponent.

To be fair, you both seemed to be in the "Wolf mode is kinda confusing" phase. If you want to get better, you'll have to put in some serious work (just a word of warning).

I'll try to keep this post as short and concise as I possibly can for the sake of not shoving too much information at you at once (feel free to ask questions, if you have any).

Bear in mind that 90% of this stuff is off of the top of my head. Let's do this.

A few things to note:

- Stop using 6C while midscreen so often

- Way too many raw Sturm Wolf's, as you already know

- While in neutral, walking around in wolf mode is a good thing to do. Fast run speed, can run backwards, 4D/7C for baiting, amazing mix-up, etc

- Too much IAD > j.C pressure

- Try using w[j.44/66D] more often, as it's great for movement and can be mixed in with w[7C's]

- Don't use raw mondlicht or nacht rosen, and don't use them during pressure either (there are a few semi-decent exceptions to this rule)

- Combo off of human throws with nacht rosen midscreen, 2C > 6B in the corner

- You use human mode far too much

- Your anti-airs are 5A (situational), 2C (situational, high reward), 6A (terrible move with a guardpoint that doesn't start-up on the first frame, awful range, loses to throws and lows, sub-par reward), w[5B] (invincibility frames from 4-6, trades a lot, very fast)

- 6B is a good meaty against cornered opponents, lead's into high damage

- Need to get better at properly confirming into combo's, especially while in wolf mode

- Try not to use too many raw beast cannon's for pressure, they can be a pretty decent movement tool though

- Your most damaging punishing move (for when you block or whiff punish something un-safe) in human mode is 6B FC, in wolf mode it is w[5B]

There are a lot of enders, but here are a few I'd recommend for now:

After a w[5B] re-launch near the end of your BnB:

- j.D > j.B > dj.B > j.C

- w[j.A > j.A > j.A] > dj.D > j.C

- w[iAD > j.A > j.B > 5B x N] (number of rep's is dictated by the proration values near the end of the combo)

After a 2A > 5B > 2C re-launch near the end of your BnB:

- j.B > dj.B > j.C

- j.D> w[j.A] > dj.D > j.C

Combo's that I would recommend learning for right now:

Midscreen:

w[5A/j.A/5B/j.B > 5B > j.A> j.236A > j.236B > 5C > j.B > j.B > 5B > j.A > j.A > j.A] > dj.D > j.C

Midscreen to Corner:

w[5A/j.A/j.B > IAD > j.B > 3C > j.A] > 5D > 2C > 6C > 2C > 6B > 236A > 5B > 2C > j.D > w[j.A] > dj.D > j.C

w[5B > IAD > j.B > 3C > j.A] > 5D > 2C > 6C > 2C > 6B > 2C > tk.214B > 1D > w[236B > j.236A > j.236B > 7C] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 5B > 2C > j.D > w[j.A] > dj.D > j,C

j.C > 2C > 6B > 5C > 236C > 9D > w[j.B > j.A] > 5D > 2C > 6C > tk.214B > 1D > w[236B > j.236B > 7C] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 5B > 2C > j.D > w[j.A] > dj.D

2C > 6B > 5C > 236C > 9D > w[j.B > j.A] > 5D > 2C > 6C > 2C > tk.214B > 1D > w[236B > j.236A > j.236B > 7C] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 5B > 2C > j.D > w[j.A] > dj.D > j.C

Corner:

5B/2B/j.C > 3C > 236A > 2C > 6B > 2C > 6C > tk.214B > 1D > w[236B > j.236A > j.236B > 7C] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 5B > 2C > j.D > w[j.A] > dj.D > j.C

w[j.A/j.B > 5B > 236B > j.236B > 7C] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 2C > 6C > 2C > 6B > 236A > 5B > 2C > j.D > w[j.A] > dj.D > j.C

A few blockstrings that I use:

- 2B > 5B > 3C

- 2A > 5D > w[236D/5A]

- 2A x N > Jump Cancel > j.C > RC > j.C

- 2B > 5B > 3C > 236A > RC > 2C > 6B

- 2B > 5B > 6B > 2B > 5B > 3C

Sub-route 1 (Wolf): 2B > 5B > 6B > 5B > Jump Cancel > j.D > w[3C > j.A/5A/236D]

Sub-route 2 (High): 2B > 5B > 6B > 2B > 6C or 5B > 6C

-2A > 2A > 2B > 6B > 2B > 5B > 3C

Sub-route 1 (Wolf): 2A > 2A > 2B > 6B > 2B > 5B > Jump Cancel > j.D > w[3C > j.A/5A/236D]

Sub-route 2 (High): 2A > 2A > 2B > 6B > 2B > 6C or 5B > 6C

Sub-route 3 (Grab): 2A > 2A > 2B > 6B > 2A > Forward Dash > Throw or 2A > Forward Dash > 6C

A Few Meter-less Options After Nacht Jager:

Sub-route 1 (Escape): 236A > 7D > w[5C] > 44D

Sub-route 2 (Human Pressure): 236A > 2A x N

Sub-route 3 (Human Fakeout): 236A > 7D > w[5C] > 66D

Sub-route 4 (Wolf Pressure): 236A > 6D > w[j.A]

Sub-route 5 (Wolf Fakeout): 236A > 7D/4D > w[j.A/5A/236D]

- w[5A] > Slight Walk Forward > w[236D]

- w[5A > 5A > 5A > 5C > j.A]

- w[5C > j.A]

Something I noticed is that you don't seem to be too comfortable with either human or wolf form normals. You were just kinda throwing them out randomly at times without having a plan for what you would do if they hit or were blocked. It might be good for you to spend some time in training mode figuring out what you can and can't do in those situations for each normal. Looking over Valk's frame data would help give you an idea of your options if you're comfortable with that.

Here are a few matches of mine, it's not my best play by any stretch of the means but it certainly isn't my worst. As of now, I lack consistency. My play varies from "He's pretty decent" to "Does this guy even play Valkenhayn?!". I most definitely need to put in more work before CP hits in order to reach the level that I desire. Neutral needs work too.

Backstory: These matches took place last night, we had a 2 bar connection so I could actually (for the most part) execute combos and move around in neutral properly which was nice (though there were a few lag spikes that you wont be able to see via replay, I think his connection was being shared with someone else). Anyways, I still loathe playing on pad but I've learned to manage.

If I recall correctly our set ended at approximately 16-7 in his favor, so overall he most definitely outplayed me. I've come to enjoy playing against his Jin. I normally don't save replays very often, but I've sorta come to cherish being beaten convincingly in fairly long sets as it offers a substantial learning experience. I uploaded 3 losses and 2 wins which I figured would be good for variety (I would have uploaded more then 5 matches but the recording -> editing -> rendering -> uploading process is long/tiresome, plus 5 seemed like a nice round-ish number). Please forgive the lackluster camera work and sub-par quality (especially during the last match), watching it in 720p kinda helps though. Re-watching my play now, I notice a lot of funny/questionable decisions on my part; and quite a few missed opportunities. I was experimenting with 6A a bit too.

Thanks to Kiba for inspiring me to use human throw's more often during my play.

Ah well.

- First match

- Second match

- Third match

- Fourth match

- Fifth match

First match: You could've punished the recovery of Jin's 623B but you ran back instead, and at 1:17 you could've taken that round by following up with sturm wolf after jager. Loved the way you baited his DP when you had him in the corner. 3:09 you could've optimised your w[5B] CH combo by going into the IAD j.B > 3C j.A route, or if you want an even stronger combo you could do w[5B] CH > 5D > 2C > 6B > 2C > 6C > tk.214B > stuff

Second match: You seemed to be getting hit by DPs more this time around and luckily Valkenhayn does have a way around it if you're interested. He has an option select against Jin's DP so you could use that to further strengthen your game. Shown here.

Third match: Not much I could say. Forgot that combo route works with a 236A starter in the corner, and he DPs a lot on his wakeup so you can see how the OS would be very useful here.

Fourth match: Again not much I could say here, except in the last round when you landed the w[5B > j.236B > j.236B > 7CD], I would've used sturm wolf after 2C because he had a burst left. You still won, but you'd wanna play it safer.

In the last match I think you left your 1st burst too late and because of that he managed to bait your other burst. I would've used the 1st burst during the sekkajin combo he got you with midscreen.

You're a solid player, you have your combos down, but I do think you ought to be careful special cancelling 5C on block because more seasoned players would just resort to a DP. I think you could also strengthen your oki and mixup by incorporating the Joker/Masashi enders which can be seen here (Enders 9 -11) and this video will also help. You can see the benefits of that particular ender from 1:40. And no problem man, I'm glad I helped, but really I took w[5A] > 6CD > grab stuff from Hima & Masashi.

I notice that I attempted a few rising j.C > rapid > j.C set-ups on wake-up but I kept getting DP'd out of it. Should have just done 2A x N > jump cancel > j.C > rapid > j.C.

Additionally, I also noticed a few raw goddamn nacht jagers.

What sort of evil villain possessed me to do such things.

Oh well.

First match: You could've punished the recovery of Jin's 623B but you ran back instead, and at 1:17 you could've taken that round by following up with sturm wolf after jager. Loved the way you baited his DP when you had him in the corner. 3:09 you could've optimised your w[5B] CH combo by going into the IAD j.B > 3C j.A route, or if you want an even stronger combo you could do w[5B] CH > 5D > 2C > 6B > 2C > 6C > tk.214B > stuff

That actually was a botched up sturm wolf attempt (I messed up the timing). You can kinda tell by the way I recklessly sped forward with the geschwind wolf. I definitely could have optimized that w[5B] CH confirm, I was really confused though because I could of sworn that his j.236D hit me (it certainly looked like it), and I kinda just auto-piloted into w[j.A > j.236B].

Second match: You seemed to be getting hit by DPs more this time around and luckily Valkenhayn does have a way around it if you're interested. He has an option select against Jin's DP so you could use that to further strengthen your game. Shown here.

Funny how I completely forgot about that (especially since I've been actively advocating the notion that the song being played in the video needs to be Valkenhayn's CP theme).

Thanks for pointing that out. I will be definitely be implementing a few new things into my play to better combat the Jin match-up.

Third match: Not much I could say. Forgot that combo route works with a 236A starter in the corner, and he DPs a lot on his wakeup so you can see how the OS would be very useful here.

Yeah.

Fourth match: Again not much I could say here, except in the last round when you landed the w[5B > j.236B > j.236B > 7CD], I would've used sturm wolf after 2C because he had a burst left. You still won, but you'd wanna play it safer.

In the last match I think you left your 1st burst too late and because of that he managed to bait your other burst. I would've used the 1st burst during the sekkajin combo he got you with midscreen.

Agreed. That was a really silly mistake on my part. Should have paid more attention to his bursts/the round we were on.

No idea as to why we both saved our bursts. I honestly thought that he was going to use a burst during the command grab combo I did on him in the second round.

You're a solid player, you have your combos down, but I do think you ought to be careful special cancelling 5C on block because more seasoned players would just resort to a DP. I think you could also strengthen your oki and mixup by incorporating the Joker/Masashi enders which can be seen here (Enders 9 -11) and this video will also help. You can see the benefits of that particular ender from 1:40. And no problem man, I'm glad I helped, but really I took w[5A] > 6CD > grab stuff from Hima & Masashi.

A while back (I think I told you this before as well) I just decided to do nothing after a well spaced 5C on block (since I dislike our meter-less follow-up options). But for some odd reason, I must have gotten back into it. It's a bad habit I guess, which is just reinforced by the fact that I can get away with it on netplay most of the time. I will make an effort to eliminate it in future endeavors.

I don't use the Masashi ender, but I do use the Joker ender on occasion. They're a bit wolf meter intensive. I think I'll start using them more in certain match-ups though.

Oh, I saw the w[5A] > 6CD > grab stuff long before it was mentioned here (since I watch a lot of Valkenhayn play) but you were the one who really got me into it since you throw a lot in your play. Plus, human throws had been largely omitted from my play for quite a long time which I was never really too pleased about.

Anyways, thanks for watching. I have a few new things I'd like to flesh out more during practical play.

That actually was a botched up sturm wolf attempt (I messed up the timing). You can kinda tell by the way I recklessly sped forward with the geschwind wolf.

I suspected that this was the case, and no problem man, it was very fun to watch you play anyway, and you looked very comfortable to me in most situations. Would like to see you play again.

So I've decided to take up Valkenhayn as another of my subs. Anything I should know before going in

That's a very general question. Not exactly sure as to how I should answer this. Do you have any specific questions?

Extend Valkenhayn is a very strong character. He has great mix-up and does amazing damage. He also has good mobility and silly meter gain.

He does however have a bit of a learning curve, and lacks strong defensive options.

Hmm, I guess my biggest concern is the transitions between Wolf and Human form. Do you recommend where I should start on that?

Well, there are many different ways to transition between wolf and human mode. But, here are the main 4 that I'd recommend learning for right now (I've split them into two groups to make it slightly less complicated since they are somewhat related to each other).

1. tk.214B into 1D > w[236B]. In addition to that, you need to know w[7C] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 5B > 2C

2. w[5B] into w[j.A > j.A > j.A] > j.D > j.C and w[5B] into j.D > j.B > dj.B > j.C

Explanations:

For #1: Both are extremely important for corner BnB's. Make sure that you're comfortable with tk'ing 214B. Inputting/timing the w[7C] > j.D > j.C may also be quite awkward at first.

You want the human j.C to hit slightly under your opponents hitbox.

Practice this first: 3C > 236A > 2C > 6C > tk.214B > 1D > w[236B > j.236B > 7C] > j.D > j.B > dj.B > j.C

Then try this: 3C > 236A > 2C > 6C > tk.214B > 1D > w[236B > j.236B > 7C] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 5B > 2C

Lastly, practice a full combo: 3C > 236A > 2C > 6B > 2C > 6C > tk.214B > 1D > w[236B > j.236A > j.236B > 7D] > j.D > j.C > 2A > 5B > 2C > j.B > dj.B > j.C

For #2: Your main two wolf BnB enders. w[j.A > j.A > j.A] > j.D > j.C for oki, j.D > j.B > dj.B > j.C for damage.

Damage: Input the w[5B] almost simultaneously while inputting the jump; then immediately input D followed up by j.B. Press D too late and you'll get a blue beat/they will tech, but press it too early and it won't come out and you'll just end up going into w[j.B]. It'll take a bit of time to get down.

Oki: Input the 3 w[j.A]'s relatively quickly after jumping, then double jump & press D. Now, immediately press j.C. Speed is the key here. Messing this ender up tends to be a bigger deal in comparison to the damage ender, this is due to the fact that failing to do j.D > j.C results in you sporadically rushing forward in wolf mode via w[j.C]. Other then that, it may just blue beat.

Practice getting this down first: w[5B] > j.D > j.B > dj.B > j.C /w[5B > j.A > j.A > j.A] > j.D > j.C

Then this: w[5B > j.A > j.236A > j.236B > 5C > j.B > j.B > 5B] > j.D > j.B > dj.B > j.C/w[5B > j.A > j.A > j.A] > j.D > j.C

Lastly, practice this: w[5A > 5B > j.A > j.236A > j.236B > 5C > j.B > j.B > 5B] > j.B > j.B > dj.B > j.C/w[5B > j.A > j.A > j.A] > j.D > j.C

Any questions?

Thanks, are there any midscreen stuff I should know? My neutral and air options, Anti-airs, etc. Then again, most of this I can get from the wiki.

Thanks, are there any midscreen stuff I should know? My neutral and air options, Anti-airs, etc. Then again, most of this I can get from the wiki.

Those two wolf enders pertain to midscreen wolf BnB's that you'll need to know.

Your primary air to air in human mode is j.B, in wolf mode it is w[j.A]. A w[j.A] counterhit also has a busload of untech time.

Your anti-airs are 5A (situational), 2C (situational, high reward), 6A (terrible move with a guardpoint that doesn't start-up on the first frame, awful range, loses to throws and lows, sub-par reward), w[5B] (invincibility frames from 4-6, trades a lot, very fast).

The main one that you'll be using is w[5B], the others are pretty situational/lackluster.

More than anything else, you'll want to focus on your wolf mode neutral game. It's not something that is easy to grasp for most.

For movement, walking around via wolf mode and playing footsies with w[5A] is a solid option. Also, I'd suggest using w[iAD] > j.D for movement alongside the other movement options mentioned in the guide (this is good to do since the jump arc is smaller and it's much harder to react to/less choreographed than w[j.66] > j.D). In addition, using a regular w[iAD] coupled with w[j.A]'s is also a solid pressure option that more people should really be doing. These movement options can also be coupled with w[7C/4C] for baiting purposes.

The main 3 bad habits that I've personally seen beginner Valkenhayns get into are:

1. Mashed Out Normals > Nacht Jager > 2A x N > More Mashed Out Normals > Nacht Jager > 2A x N > Even More Mashed Out Normals > Nacht Jager > 2A x N, etc.

2. 5C > 6C x N.

3. Regularly using human mode instead of wolf mode for neutral game purposes.

But, yeah. Check out Kiba's Valkenhayn guide for details and such (I'd especially recommend that you check out his "Bad Habits" and "Day 1 Valkenhayn: What do?" sections).

If you have any questions, feel free to post them either here or in the general discussion thread.