This section is still being written. It may be wildly inaccurate or missing significant data.
Please feel free to make edits, but include edit summaries and sources where applicable.
Frieza is designed to be a traditional zoner, and he's a very good one on paper; he has several fast projectiles that cover many different angles, good normals with longer range than average, and excellent assists that are frustrating to deal with. The problem is that DBFZ is very rushdown-oriented, meaning that most of the cast has just as many options (more in some cases) for getting in on him. Frieza simply can't keep his distance forever, so it's important to know what to do when the fight gets close and personal. Fortunately, Frieza has enough options up close to at least hold his own, and when he transforms into Golden FriezaGuard:
-, he becomes an absolute monster, breaking conventional combo structure and adding a second airdash to his arsenal. This combined with the fact that Sparking Blast extends the length of his transformation means that he is usually played as an anchor, where the damage buffs from Golden, Sparking, AND Limit Break make him DBFZ's king of comebacks. If you like massive normals, vicious zoning, installs, and have an appetite for destruction, then look no further than the the king of evil, the conqueror of planets, ruler of the largest, intergalactic army in the cosmos; Frieza.
|"Now, start begging for your life! Not that I'll listen...haha!"|
|Lore:||Frieza is a vicious galactic tyrant who rules over many planets with an iron fist after inheriting part of his father (King Cold)'s empire. Personally responsible for driving the Saiyan race to the brink of extinction, Frieza would be defeated by Goku, one of the very Saiyans he loathed. He would later be killed by Trunks, a half-Saiyan youth from the future. Unfortunately, death would not keep Frieza for long, as his henchmen would wish him back to life with the Dragon Balls. With a new lease on life, Frieza would train in order to carry out his revenge against Goku and his friends.|
|Frieza is a strong zoning character who can push opponents away from him before attacking them with strong projectile attacks.|
|5LLL||400 / 0,1000||All||U3+||13||3||23||-5|
- Standard 5L.
- A far reaching 5LL that's -2 when blocked at max range.
- 5LLL tracks fullscreen.
- At very close range, the explosion sends them outward. Otherwise, it sends them inward.
- No longer counted as a ki-blast so this will beat superdash.
Often useful after a vanish extension.
- Strange, proximity-based normal
- Allows Golden Frieza to combo off of 5S at far ranges
Very odd 5M compared to most. At close range it functions the same as all the others, but farther away Frieza will automatically dash forward and then attacks either once he's close enough to the opponent to hit or after going nearly fullscreen length. Hops over a few lows, and otherwise has the same uses as other 5Ms in combos and blockstrings. Although difficult to space due to the nature of the normal, it's possible to make it up to -3 if Frieza hits from max range.
|150, 100×8||All||U1||13||46 (from first active frame)||-12|
- Smash on the first hit, wall bounces.
- The rocks themselves keep grounded opponent standing, can't be Super Dashed through, and disappear on Vanish.
Good for controlling ground space.
Despite the rocks being nullified by Broly's Powered Shell, the initial smash hit will break through it.
- Hold or mash S to shoot all 6 Ki blasts.
- Sixth hit launches and wall bounces.
Can be followed up with 236M > Vanish. More useful than some other Ki Blasts due to how it pierces opponents, potentially stopping assist calls. Other than that, it's pretty average and loses to Z Broly.
- Low-hitting 2L. Not the best range, but quite useful as a low nonetheless.
- Frieza's main low normal.
- Being -2 on block makes it extremely useful for stagger pressure.
- Leaves a blind spot over Frieza's head
Despite looking like it and his 5HGuard:
46 (from first active frame)Advantage:
-12 firing projectiles, this is not treated as a projectile. While there's still a gap over his head, it has huge horizontal range, which can be useful in some mid-range scenarios. It also acts as a very strong followup if the opponent gets hit by Frieza's Death SaucerGuard:
+2, as you are likely already crouching - enabling a full followup with SKD afterwards.
- 1S shoots almost horizontally, 2S shoots at a 30 degree angle, 3S shoots at a 60 degree angle.
Good range and covers some useful anti-air angles, can also be cancelled into 2H even on whiff making this very safe to use when the enemy is jumping in neutral.
Good combo and neutral tool.
- Hits at a downward angle, useful for IAD-pressure.
- Ridiculously fast as an IAD crossup, can be converted off of with j.2S into a superdash combo.
- First hit has no range at all, second hit has much longer range.
- Great air-to-air normal.
The first hit has the same startup as his j.L, making it excellent for combos. Be careful using on smaller characters for IAD overheads or pressure, the first hit will miss.
|850 / 1000||High||D1+ [D3+]||13||5|
- 5LLLLLLL Dynamic hit can wall bounce.
- j.H is a Heavy with a fairly good reach.
- Smash hit causes sliding knockdown.
- Hold or mash S to shoot all 3 blasts.
- Piercing projectiles that also beat Super Dash, sending the opponent full screen.
- Third hit wall bounces.
† Despite being a projectile, can be anti-air'd by Head invulnerable attacks.
|850 / 1000||All||D1||18||5|
- Command normal that causes sliding on air hit and an immediate tech on ground hit.
Mainly used after j.2S or j.S in the corner for sliding knockdown, will keep the enemy quite close to Frieza. Can also be used as a third sneaky overhead in an IAD string, use sparingly though as it can be 2H'd.
- Fires a ki blast in a downward angle.
The angle isn't really great, is mostly used to combo off of an IAD j.L or into j.2H for knockdowns.
- 236L explodes the ground in front of Frieza.
Frieza's main way of safely ending blockstrings.
- 236M explodes the ground on the other half of the screen. Doesn't reach fullscreen.
Can be used after a long-range 5H or 5S to tack on some additional damage either by itself, or can be vanished for even more damage.
- 236H creates 2 explosions that covers the entire screen.
A good way to catch people trying to do anything. Can be casted 2 times in a row to combo in itself.
You might not survive this time
236S (Air OK)
|236S||300,300×4 / 0,400,850||All||U2+||13||-20|
|j.236S||300,300×4 / 0,400,850||All||U2+||13|
- Smash at point blank, the opponent will be locked inside the ball before it starts traveling, explodes once it touches the wall.
- On Smash hit, becomes full invulnerable until after recovery.
- Cancelling the move will cause the ball to explode early.
Good as a combo ender before going into Supers.
- Throws 2 discs forward that comes back after traveling off screen.
- Discs merely launch going forward, but cause a sliding knockdown to the opponent on the way back.
- The return trip discs can friendly fire and hit Frieza and his assists. Friendly fire discs scale less and deal more damage to Frieza than they do to the opponent (700+560 to foe and 700+630 to Frieza).
- Can be crouched under, including L+S Ki Charge.
- Disappear if Frieza's hit or tagged out, but not if he blocks.
Frieza is always plus after using this in a blockstring, so it's a very strong blockstring ender. Use 5L afterwards to catch jumps/vanish ect.
- Teleports a set distance forward, auto corrects. Can pull the opponent out of the corner.
- Invulnerable from frames 4 to 19.
- Causes a ground bounce on the opponent when they're either standing or in the air.
Can be used as a reversal, but it's very inconsistent on actually punishing the opponent since it tends to miss. It also doesn't have frame 1 invulnerability.
- Hits slightly closer than the M version.
- The damage buff from Golden Frieza applies to this assist as well.
- Has a minimum distance, stunting its use.
Extremely annoying assist. Forces the opponent to respect you in neutral because of how huge its hitbox is.
You might not survive this time
- The damage buff from Golden Frieza applies to this assist as well
- Large enough hitbox to catch vanishes.
A projectile assist that is quite fast and difficult to punish. It is good as an approach tool, working almost like Guile walking in behind a fireball for your point. It has a lot of hitstun at 51f, but has the lowest blockstun in the game for "normal" assists. The blockstun, or lack thereof, makes it nonexistent for blockstring pressure, but handy for tick throw set-ups. Your opponent might also just respect it because it looks like it has far more blockstun than it actually has.
|60, 42x8, 700 / 42x8, 700||All||20~37||+24 ~ +29|
- Fast start up
- Good screen carry
- Same properties as 5H
It isn't much, but it's to be noted that the assist does an extra hit and extra damage while used at point blank range.
236L+M (Air OK) or 236H+S (Air OK)
- Costs 1 Ki Gauge.
- L+M version throws towards the middle of the screen, H+S version throws towards the edge of the screen.
- Minimum damage: 4*N, 754.
A useful level 1 super that does additional damage if done from big heights. Because of how slowly the ball travels, some characters can DHC and then get an extension afterward, usually in the form of air DR or j.H.
If Frieza is hit with Death Saucer in the middle of this move, he can then combo into You must die by my hand! without suffering from super scaling, as he hasn't entered neutral stance.
214L+M (Air OK)
|j.214L+M||4200||High||UDV||11+1||Until Landing||1-6F after landing All|
- Costs 3 Ki Gauges.
- Minimum damage: 1680.
- Inconsistent frame advantage on hit, based on which one of the two hits the ground first.
High damaging level 3. Is only one hit, which means an opponent in Sparking won't get any regeneration done during the animation, making it an excellent combo ender.
Can also be used as a reversal, though it has a tendency to go straight over the opponent in this case so this is generally not recommended.
You must die by my hand!
[H+S] while knocked down
- Costs 3 Ki Gauges.
- Minimum damage: 192*10.
- Only invulnerable during active frames.
Not a good wakeup option compares to the 2 other Lv3s he has. However, the insanely high minimum damage means it's the best combo ender, used after getting hit by his own Death Saucer. (which is kind of ironic if you think about it)
The Emperor comes to reclaim his throne. Just don't run out of time.
- Costs 3 Ki Gauges. Can only be done once per match. Inputting 214H+S again will deactivate Golden Frieza.
- During Golden Frieza, gains a 20% damage buff, a second air dash, access to full reverse beat, and increased movement speed.
- Lasts about 21 seconds when he's the point character, won't deactivate until he returns to neutral ground stance. The timer is paused when he's in Sparking, as well as resetting the timer whenever he's tagged out or an enemy's character dies.
- Raw startup is long, but autoguards and recovers instantly after the super flash. Startup during combos is fast, so you can go Golden Frieza mid-combo.
- Has ~1 second of Ki gain cooldown.
Sorbet's Ray Gun
S when Golden Frieza ends
- Costs 1 Ki Gauge.
- Minimum damage: 840.
- Has some invulnerability and hits opponent during timestop.
- Crumples grounded opponent, causes a sliding knockdown on airborne.
Does hit off sliding knockdowns but since the shot is small and goes quite high up, it requires strict timings.
By timing the shot as late as possible into Frieza's crumple animation, you can get enough frame advantage for extra followups like Supers or even just run up 5L. Comboing after this Super doesn't receive Super scaling.
|To edit frame data, edit values in DBFZ/Frieza/Data.|
- Android 16[★]
- Android 17[★]
- Android 18[★]
- Android 21[★]
- Android 21 (Lab Coat)[★]
- Broly (DBS)[★]
- Captain Ginyu[★]
- Gogeta (SSGSS)[★]
- Gogeta (SS4)[★]
- Gohan (Teen)[★]
- Gohan (Adult)[★]
- Goku (Super Saiyan)[★]
- Goku (SSGSS)[★]
- Goku (Ultra Instinct)[★]
- Goku (GT)[★]
- Goku Black[★]
- Kid Buu[★]
- Majin Buu[★]
- Master Roshi[★]
- Super Baby 2[★]
- Vegeta (Super Saiyan)[★]
- Vegeta (SSGSS)[★]
- Vegito (SSGSS)[★]
- Zamasu (Fused)[★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data
• HUD • Controls • FAQ •
• Movement/Canceling • Offense • Defense • Gauges • Attack Attributes •
Detailed & Advanced Information
• Damage/Combo • Frame Data & System Data • Misc •
• Patch Notes •
- Advanced Input
- Air Recovery
- Assist Cooldown
- Assist Lockout
- Attack Level
- Attribute Invincibility
- Breaking Dragon Rush
- Dragon Balls
- Dragon Rush
- Counter Hit
- Counter Hit Carry
- Ground Recovery
- Guard Cancel Change
- Ki Charge
- Ki Cooldown
- Meteor Attack
- Powered-Up Special Move
- Sparking Blast
- Special Move
- Summoning Shenron
- Super Attack
- Super Combo
- Super Dash
- Super Freeze Buffer
- Ultimate Z Change
- Z Assist
- Z Change
- Z Combo
- Z Reflect