This can be due to patches to the game, or developments in the metagame. You can help by updating it.
Goku (SSGSS) - or more commonly known as SSB Goku, Bluku/Blueku, or Goku Blue - has excellent frame data and a plethora of mix-up options that allow him to overwhelm the opponent in blockstrings. His neutral is very, very strong with a divekick and ki-blast invulnerable lariat. His ki-blasts are also very scary, and he has stellar normals, including a ludicrously fast and powerful 2M. His ability to control space is just as crazy as his plethora of options for combos, including a health-bar shredding level 5 off a solid knockdown.
All of this makes SSB Goku an unbelievably strong character, but you cannot just pick him up and expect to tear up the opposition; many of his strong neutral options require thought and commitment in use, and he is one of the most technical characters in the game due to his incredibly strong emphasis on execution. Still, this doesn't take away from what his strengths are. Coming in shining bright blue, Goku's god-empowered variant possesses a grand prize for mastery. It is for good reason that he is such a favourable pick among long time players of Dragon Ball FighterZ.
SSB Goku has a similar fighting style to that of his Super Saiyan form, with long reaching normals and good frame data. Goku Blue serves as the more mix-up oriented version to his counterpart. His massive toolbox allows him to layer his mix-up options efficiently and make defending against him stressful.
- Strong Neutral Options: Great footsies with his medium normals that have long range and high reward. Has great ki blasts, j.S in particular keeps his air momentum allowing him to approach safely with an IAD, Divine Void Strike which beats ki blasts, Dragon Flash Kick and Instant Transmission, the latter of the 3 being plus on block.
- Incredible Pressure Game: Has a 2L low and fantastic frame data on his normals which make his staggers incredibly strong. Equipped with arguably the best command grab in the game as it is unreactable while allowing him to combo with Vanish, Assists, Supers and even Sparking. Light Dragon Flash Kick acts as an unreactable same side option when faking crossup and the ex version gives a true 50/50 when backed up by an assist.
- High Damage / Meter Gain: SSB Goku's corner loops give him extremely high damage and meter gain, solo or assisted.
- Versatile Combo Routes: Dragon Flash Kick gives Goku meterless sliding knockdowns and high damage vanish extensions. Instant Transmission allows him to side switch or stay same side easily on super dash confirms.
- Strong Supers: Access to a level 5 and a tracking level 1 that gives him a sliding knockdown.
- High Commitment Moves: Some of his neutral tools, while good, are very high commitment and need to be timed well.
- Execution Heavy: He isn't as scary if you can't perform his elbow loops. If you cannot perform them, his damage is rather mediocre.
- Limited Fullscreen Control: Outside of his grounded ki blasts, he lacks safe ways to pressure an opponent from fullscreen. This makes him a bit more reliant on assists than other characters when playing at that distance.
Standard jab, and Goku's fastest normal.
4LL > 2M or 2LL > 2M are really strong stagger string.
- Launches on hit.
Strong normal in pressure thanks to the fact that it hits low and can cancel into another low, an overhead, a grab, or even sides switches.
The large amount of hitstun combined with a low hitbox also allow SSB Goku to go for more unique combo routes.
Strong stagger normal after 4LL
- 5LL > 5LLL has a massive gap in between.
- Combos into SD midsceen or even links to air normals in the corner.
Very slow, highly telegraphed, and the reward isn't so big. Since the threat of 214X exists, the opponent will be more likely to mash and they'll punish 5LLL outright if it's not covered with assists.
|700||All||10||3||21 ||-8 [-2]||4-14 Ki Blasts|
- Holding during startup will reduce forward momentum and recovery.
- Values in [ ] are for 5M version.
- Deflects Ki Blasts.
5M has extremely good range, even longer reach than 2M. 5M with dash momentum is very scary.
5M (or simply 4M) is the safest normal he has that also pushes the opponent just far enough that he can safely backdash out of almost every 5L/2L. 2M > 4M also auto spaces him for another 2M.
- Wall splats on Smash hit. Combos into SD.
- Non-Smash only combos into SD in the corner.
- Holding after inputting the move lets 5H cover less distance, but also increase knockback on block.
Used for block strings, anti-reflect, and is a great way to go into 214L. Against most of the cast, 5H > delay 214L is a tickthrow and will force people to start holding up after this button which is great for the conditioning gameplan.
- Mash or hold S to shoot all 6 Ki blasts.
- Last Ki blast launches on hit.
This is his only grounded projectile, making it vital for his neutral game.
You should always only use 2 Ki blasts. Shooting less is safer overall, shooting more is easier to confirm, 2 is the perfect amount to react with 2H punish or Vanish confirm.
Fast low with short range, making it his go to low for mix-ups out of jump-ins or assists.
- Great range and very active hitbox.
- Launches on hit.
- Holding after inputting the move will cause him to not travel as far
- Can anti-reflect from 5L, 2L, 4M or 5M.
- From max range it can be spaced to be -3 on block.
His third low. IAD j.S ▷ 2M has deceptively long range and can fully true string in the corner.
Get ready to explode.
Arguably the best 2M in the game with its combination of fast startup, low profile, massive reach and high reward, making it a force to be reckoned with during neutral and offense. When using it in conjunction with his 4M, it can serve as a great way to space out the opponent and reset pressure. You can also delay 214L after and still land his command grab. The timing is finicky but if you hit this once the opponent will now have to guess for command grab at multiple points in the string.
- Puts Goku airborne.
- Smash hit has more hitstun and combos into SD.
- Delayihg your super dash allows a side switch.
- Holding after inputting the move lets the 2H not move forward as much, making it more consistently hit a superdash right above him. This will also increase knockback on block.
Go to anti-air, though since it has a firmly vertical hitbox and a large amount of recovery it should be used carefully.
Smash hit can also combo into j.236S for a quick sides switch into SKD.
On block, cancel into j.236L to stay safe (-2) or j.214H with an assist for mixups.
- Counts as airborne.
- Uses the same hitboxes and hurtboxes as Goku's j.M as of version 1.28.
- Tied with Janemba for the biggest 6M in the game.
The massive reach of Goku Blue's 6M allows for plus frame setups via a late connect on block when spaced.
Great air-to-air. IAD j.M is also Goku's best cross-up option. On hit, confirms with 2M or microdash 5L, depending on the height.
|850 / 1000||High||D1+ [D3+]||13||6||21|
- Dynamic hit can wall bounce.
- Smash hit causes sliding knockdown.
Go-to jump in.
- Doesn't halt air momentum like most j.S.
- Doesn't launches airborne opponent like most j.S, instead it pushes them down.
Forward IAD j.S beats anti-airs and puts Goku +10 at minimum.
Due to maintaining full momentum, IAD j.X > j.S will make Goku visually pulls out the Ki blast, but it would almost never come out before he lands and there would be no landing recovery. Mean while, IAD j.M(L)2H > delay j.S would always connect. j.S ▷ 214L coincidentally is also a true tickthrow in the corner. So not only is GC reflecting a pure gamble due to the tickthrow and can be baited into 2M punish, but the thought of reflecting j.S at all is a gamble because the Ki blast might not even come out.
Divine Void Strike
236L/M/H (Air OK)
|236L||900||All||9||6||23||-5||4-14 Ki Blasts|
|236M||1200||All||U1+||17||10||23||-5||4-26 Ki Blasts|
|236H||1400||All||U1+||28~32||10||23||-5||1-37~41 Ki Blasts, 13-25~29 All|
|j.236L||900||All||9||6||23||4-14 Ki Blasts|
|j.236M||1000||All||U1+||17||10||23||4-26 Ki Blasts|
|j.236H||1400||All||U1+||28~32||10||23||-5||1-37~41 Ki Blasts, 13-25 All|
- All Versions
- Removes other landing recovery.
- Deflects Ki blasts from frame 4 (H version from frame 1).
- Goes half screen. Effective range can be massively increased by inputting it like 2366L.
- General purpose blockstring ender.
236L is Blueku's go-to lariat in neutral and one of the strongest roundstart options in the game with assists. This version is an M starter, so it can lead to massive damage. It's also a safe blockstring ender and a great combo filler, used in Goku's advanced combos. The air version has much better frame advantage if done close to the ground, which forms the basis of his corner loops.
- Goes 90% of the screen.
- Smash hit wall splats, Smash 5MMM wall bounces.
Cancelling into this move from ANY normal will have a small gap that beats mashing, or in the case of 2H > j.236M, it beats even counter 2H. This version is also an M starter, do not get hit by this. You will die.
236M is used in corner combos. Smash j.236M also links into j.DR in the corner for an easy snapback or for getting a knockdown after confirming 214L with an assist.
- Teleports toward to the other wall, then charges backward.
- Goes fullscreen. Air version has slight vertical tracking.
- Wall bounces on Smash hit.
- Air version on ground block (2H > j.236H + assist) leaves Goku at -5 in the air.
- 236H is faster at fullscreen.
- A fullscreen 5S can now confirm to 236H
- Startup becomes instantaneous when used against a launched opponent, or right after his Level 3.
236H is a good neutral check that can be solo converted anywhere on screen. More importantly, it's a fantastic DR crush that adds onto Blueku's already brain-melting pressure.
Not a good idea to use as a reversal as the invul from teleporting comes in too late. Can be used as a 0.5 bar alternative to vanish in some combos if Smash hasn't been used already.
Super God Shock Flash
|214L||1200  / 1200||Throw [All]||D2||17||1[(7)3]||||[-5]|
|214M||1200||Throw||U1+ → D2||26||1||25|
|214H||1200  / 1300||Throw [All]||U1+ → D2||24||1[(7)3]||||[-5]|
- All Versions' Properties
A series of command throws, with 214L being Goku's most potent tickthrow.
- L and H versions does a short ranged strike if the initial throw whiffs. Values in [ ] is if the throw whiffs. If the strike hits, Blueku can combo off it with 5L for some reason.
- M and H versions move forward before performing the throw
- Smash on the throw. U Smash wall bounces, D Smash launches into a sliding knockdown
- The throw cannot hit opponents in airborne state. After the throw has landed in the combo, both it and the follow-up punch cannot hit the opponent again
The one you should learn to use and abuse. 214L is an unreactable command throw with subtle animation that not only gives Goku SKD oki, but can also be easily converted with assists if he wants the damage. The downside is that it has very short range so will require specific strings in order to land, and can whiff against opponents holding in midscreen, as they will walk out of the throw.
Common ways to land this throw is staggering into dash 214L, dash 5L/2L > 214L, IAD j.S ▷ 214L or with 2M > delay 214L. It's also possible to do 5H > delay 214L, though 214L must be delayed much later on big bodies, and this cannot be done on Broly.
Has much more range and can be used at any point in the blockstring, but it's much slower and more telegraphed than 214L.
On U Smash hit, the wall bounce allows for a solo conversion in the corner.
A faster and stronger version of 214M, can be converted into a combo anywhere on screen. Should be used sparingly as it can still easily be reacted to especially with the EX flash.
Dragon Flash Kick
|j.214H||900 / 900,400×2||All||D1||11||Until L||23|
- Reels back a tiny bit before diving 45 degree downward.
- Advantage ranges from -1 to -6. 2H > j.214L is a true blockstring that leaves Goku at -3 on the ground.
One of the fastest divekicks in the game. Can be used to get in and out of pressure. Also good as a crossup fakeout as on hit it keeps the opponent grounded for assist extension.
Does slightly more damage than j.H and can combo from j.S, making this move slightly more preferable to j.H in assisted and Vanish combos.
- Smash hit causes sliding knockdown.
- Advantage ranges from -1 to -6. 2H > j.214M has a gap that beats counter 2H, leaves Goku at -3 on the ground.
Goku's anywhere meterless SKD. It's almost always better than j.H as a solo combo ender.
- On hit, follows the opponent down to the ground before doing a quick sideswitching 2-hit combo. Smash on the last hit, causes sliding knockdown.
- On block, after touching the ground, switches sides and teleports up in the air. Can steal corner and is at a height where he can airdash over anybody for a double sideswitch.
- Advantage ranges from -3 to -7. 2H > j.214H is a true blockstring that leaves Goku at -1 in the air.
j.S > j.214H is an okay solo combo ender in case you can't use j.214M, but where this move really shines is as a mixup tool covered by assists.
After a blocked j.214H, Goku can do a 4-way mixup with empty 2L, empty 214L, airdash cross j.S, late airdash same side j.L. However, late airdash j.L while universal is rather hard to pull off, the entire setup requires good blockstun assists and a 2H in the string, so it's susceptible to GC (Guard Cancel the actual divekick, not the 2H!).
236S (Air OK) or 214S (Air OK)
- Teleporting kick that tracks anywhere on screen. 236S goes behind the opponent, 214S goes in front. Uses the direction Goku's facing to determine how he teleports.
- After teleporting, the move still has some vertical tracking to make sure it connects.
- Smash hit causes sliding knockdown.
Extremely bad move in neutral, effectively a check if your opponent was falling asleep as it's easy to punish, especially if your opponent is on the ground. On raw hit, you get nearly no reward. If you really need a crossup in neutral, you should use 236H instead.
In combos, this move is better, giving you sideswaps off of 2H and some other niche uses such as a situationally better knockdown than 214M.
Dragon Flash Kick
- Has fullscreen horizontal tracking.
- Ground bounce into sliding knockdown on hit.
A screen control assist, fantastic when used in conjunction with ki blasts in neutral. On hit, the ground bounce also enables unique air-to-ground extension unlike most other pop-up assists.
Can also be used right before a low recovery Super like Bardock and AGohan's 236L+M for a SKD they otherwise wouldn't get.
Divine Void Strike
- Deflects Ki Blasts.
- Launches on hit.
Basic strike assist. Good for raw Super Dash + assist. His A assist is a bit better due to the groundbounce, but this is still a good assist and can be used if you'd rather have something more barebones and easier to convert off of. It's also a smidge better in neutral situations, though both fulfill about the same roles.
- Tracks the opponent anywhere on screen. Bad hitbox that whiffs a lot.
- On hit, teleports behind the opponent and knocks them down into a ground bounce SKD.
If you weren't satisfied with 236S/214S being a bad move in neutral, now you can use this bad assist version of it as well. If you really want a tracking neutral assist, then use A. If you want something to plow through the opponent's options, then use B. The only reason to use this is to match Goku's intelligence with your own.
Extreme Speed Kamehameha
236L+M (Air OK) or 236H+S (Air OK)
- Done raw, grounded version will have Goku leap towards the opponent, air version stays still.
- Mid-combo, both version teleports to the opponent instead. Rarely misses if ever. Always shows up from the direction Goku's facing.
- Last hit causes sliding knockdown.
- Minimum damage: 75×10 (750).
Similar to SS Goku, he does have safe jump setup from this with j.LL2H > j.236L+M into airdash j.H, but it's not universal.
x10 Kaioken Kamehameha
214L+M (Air OK) or 214H+S (Air OK)
|214L+M > X||1710||1-16 All|
- x10 Kaioken Kamehameha
- Hits fullscreen.
- There are 2 spots where you can hold a button for a sideswitch or double sideswitches. A "free" one before the upward kick, and one that cost 2 extra Ki gauges after the kick.
- Minimum damage: 1759, add 900 if 5 bars are used for a new total of 2659.
Has enough frame advantage in the corner for a superjump IAD float or fastfall high/low 50/50. In addition doing (j.)236H right after it in the corner will make Goku teleport much faster than usual (since the game still considers the opponent as being in untech time), turning it into a very effective mixup tool.
- Evolved Attack x10 Kaioken Kamehameha > [L/M/H/S] on hit
Only do this if you wanna see the cool animation (or if it kills) because it obliterates your oki otherwise.
- DBFZ SSB Goku color1.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color2.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color3.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color4.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color5.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color6.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color7.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color8.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color9.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color10.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color11.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color12.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color13.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color14.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color15.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color16.png
- DBFZ SSB Goku color59.png