Content here can be considered incomplete until expertise is given.
You can help by editing it.
- Character Strategy pages generally have at least some basic counterplay.
Written primarily by Chris™ (RunePopz) from Ultimax-cord, and can be proofread or revised by anyone just as or more knowledgeable
Adachi is a rushdown/pseudo grappler that wants to use his tools to keep you grounded in both neutral and offense so he can use his solid pressure game and command grab to open you up. He's really solid at mid range with buttons like 5C, j.C, Sweep, and his gunshot to tag the opponent in neutral. He even has a couple tricks up his sleeve to help him at long range, like his potent Persona displacement game with 2C -> 5C, j.2D or even some of his supers to catch people slipping.
j.C: This is one of if not Adachi's best normal. It has really good range, good reward on hit, and a lot of characters have a hard time anti airing it. Luckily for Narukami, his Anti Air (2B) beats j.C in MOST situations. His j.C if spaced directly above Narukami CANNOT be anti aired with 2B you WILL GET COUNTER HIT. You are better off trying to roll away in that situation.
j.2D: Adachi's go-to Anti-Antiair button. If your 2Bs are looking crispy, then Adachi players can try to mix you up with j.2D. Big reward on hit chunking you for 2.3k but you can avoid this situation with Narukami's DP and his Air DP if Adachi is directly above you. You can also 5A the j.2D as izanagi is coming down to break the persona and leave Adachi in a semi-vulnerable state.
5C: Another one of Adachi's best normals. It's a good but slow poke at mid-range. Narukami 5B and 5C are great at contesting this move due to them having faster startup. You can also low profile this normal with ALL versions of Swift Strike (214 C/D/CD).
2A+B: Adachi's Sweep. Advancing low normal that is extremely good at low profiling and hard calling out Narukami 5B . REALLY GOOD reward on hit. However, this move loses to run up 2B or a hard callout raging lion on the sweep.
2B: Adachi's antiair is really strong and has a really big vertical hitbox. All IAD normal attempts will get beat CLEAN by this move. MASSIVE reward on CH. Try not to jump too much against Adachi or you will face the wrath of 2B.
2C/j.2C: An air-unblockable hit grab. Adachi can use this move as a preemptive anti air to call out jumps (Superjumps particularly). He can also use it for persona displacement shenanigans fullscreen to check you with 5C, try to go for a cheeky fullscreen command grab with his super Ghastly Wail, or try to set up a fullscreen Magatsu Mandala due to him getting the buff on block or hit.
Atom Smasher: While this move is vastly nerfed from 1.1, it is still good for catching people slipping full screen. Be wary when Adachi has 50-75 meter fullscreen as he can throw this move out to check you. All version of atom smasher can be rolled on reaction into a devastating Fatal Counter punish.
5D: Adachi's fullscreen horizontal Ziodyne. Has a lot of startup but once fully active it can carry you to the corner on hit or block. Adachi players usually throw this move out in an attempt to either start their offense, or safely put themselves in awakening with DP once you block 5D. On startup, Narukami can punish on reaction with SB Swift Strike. If it is fully out, then block it in the air to avoid potential mixups, and also Instant Block the hits to gain meter (19SP).
214A/B/A+B: Adachi's gunshot is a far reaching low with the SB version covering 2/3rds of the screen. He is able to special cancel this move into other specials or DP/Sweep, so be wary of this at mid/far range as it can dissuade you from walking or running forward.
First thing's first, it is worth noting that Narukami's safejump setup works against ALL of Adachi's reversal options, metered or meterless.
- Adachi's meterless defense isn't the best, but he has a 6f 5A/2A and a 7f 5B for abare and a Furious Action that is an OVERHEAD INTO LOW.
- Adachi DP is very minus on block that leads into a rewarding punish but he is able to supercancel it into a move that will make him safe or put him in an advantageous situation.
- Up back j.C is a really strong tool for Adachi defending against you so beware of that. You can layer your pressure with some delay 2Bs in there to keep him from upbacking.
- He has a wide arrange of Metered Reversals to get him out of bad situations:
- Atom Smasher: Fullscreen multi hitting super that can lead into a combo on CH.D and SB Atom Smasher are +2 on block. Big gap to roll or Super him back (D Cross Slash/ D Ziodyne) that leads into big reward on Fatal Counter.
- Magatsu Mandala: Grants him the Mandala Buff on hit or block and leaves him safe on SB. Susceptible to Narukami doing a super on him back on reaction (D Cross Slash/D Ziodyne) for big damage.
- Ghastly Wail: Reversal Command grab that does good damage on hit and gives you a fear debuff. C and SB Ghastly Wail are 0 frames after superflash effectively making it a 0 frame command grab. Loses to you being airborne or too far away, and so throw baits such as 5A > jc j.2A and 5B/2C backdash cancels are perfect for baiting out this reversal.
Adachi's offense consists of him trying to lock you down with his pressure layered with frametraps and anti jumping tools like gunshot then use his command grab to open you up. His reward off of hits is extremely high with meter or if he manages to inflict fear on you, making the next hit a guaranteed Fatal Counter starter.
- 5A > 2A > 5A is Adachi's most basic but versatile string, Adachi can do a cross up j.B or try to stagger with 2A to go for a command grab. Easily avoidable with fuzzy jump + air throw.
- 5AA > 5B > 5C is the staple Adachi string, can be use to frame trap people if the 5C is delayed. If Adachi does all hits of the 5B, then 5C is too far to be his by your DP and you will get punished if you try it.
- 2B > j.C is a pressure reset tool that can be DP'd, but he can jump cancel to bait it. If you roll, he can use j.2D to beat your roll and do massive damage (2200+ damage forced fatal counter), but it is a risk for him.
- Sweep in a string is NOT TRUE and is only used on respectful opponents. Can be hopped over or DPed.
- Gunshot (214A/B) can be special cancelled, meaning he can go for another gunshot, DP, or stance but it's -3 on block. Instant Blocking the gunshot makes it -5, allowing Narukami to punish with 5A if close enough.
- SB Gunshot can be used to reset his pressure, or go for a true string with DP WHICH IS A OVERHEAD.
- His command can be used any where, normally most Adachi use his stance (236A/B) to cancel out of normals and go for C grab.
- SB Evil Smile (236CD) can be used to reset pressure or to bait a reversal like DP, Adachi can also go in for a command grab to get a really good reward off it with SB Megidola or in the corner
- During Calm Down (236 A/B/AB) there is a big enough gap for you to attempt to escape pressure. The SB version has I frames during the flashing parts of the special, so be careful with doing a reversal.
- Be very careful of DPing after getting put in a fear setup combo, because it could mean the round. He has safe-jump setups after putting the status on the opponent, and an ensuing punish combo can be a Fatal Counter combo with a better scaling starter than his regular Fatal starters.
Overview | Frame Data | Matchups | | Strategy Return to Top
- Akihiko Sanada[★]
- Chie Satonaka[★]
- Junpei Iori[★]
- Kanji Tatsumi[★]
- Ken Amada[★]
- Mitsuru Kirijo[★]
- Naoto Shirogane[★]
- Rise Kujikawa[★]
- Shadow Labrys[★]
- Tohru Adachi[★]
- Yosuke Hanamura[★]
- Yu Narukami[★]
- Yukari Takeba[★]
- Yukiko Amagi[★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data
• Controls • HUD • FAQ •
• Movement/Canceling • Offense • Defense • Attack Attributes • SP/Persona/Burst Gauge Usage • Status Ailments •
Detailed & Advanced Information
• Damage/Combo System • Frame Data & System Data • Universal Strategy • Misc •
• Patch Notes • Tier Lists • Golden Arena •