Each character has varying amounts of health. See each character's page for exact values or view the System Data for a table to compare between the cast.
The health bar in BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle is slightly misleading; it's not exactly linear, it's denser near the end to give the effect that a player is barely surviving a "fatal" blow, and thus more dramatic.
When characters take damage, a percentage of that damage can be healed if they are able to tag out (colloquially called red health).
There are a few ways to regain red health:
- Partner regains red health while offscreen at the rate 3 Health/frame (180 Health/second)
- After an Active Change, this increases to 6 Health/frame (360 Health/second)
- After changing characters, health regeneration begins 60F after Partner Skill is available.
- Point character regains health during Resonance Blaze
The amount of recoverable damage each attack deals depends on the context:
|Combos that start with a Reversal Action||100%|
|Reversal Action Mid-combo||100%|
|Cross Combo (excluding Distortion Skills)||0%|
|All other attacks||50%|
The Skill Gauge is like a traditional "super meter" in other fighting games. Skill Gauge is used to perform Extra Skills, Distortion Skills, Reject Guards, etc. The Skill Gauge starts at 1 at the beginning of a match.
The formula for Skill Gauge Gain depends on the situation:
|Opponent getting hit||Scaled Damage * 0.72|
|Getting hit||Scaled Damage * 0.4|
|Opponent blocking attack||Base Damage * 0.18|
|Blocking attack||Base Damage * 0.18 (* 0.36 during Guard Bonus)|
- Each Gauge is 5,000 units, so 5,000 units = 1 Skill Gauge
- Values are truncated after the decimal. Ex: 100.3 becomes 100, 35.8 becomes 35
- Thus a move that generates 100.2 units and a move that generate 100.6 units actually generate the same amount of heat (100 units)
- Distortion Skills do not build any Skill Gauge for the attacker, however, Extra Skills do
- Note: Formula for hitting opponent is suspected to be Scaled Damage * 1.2 * Character Combo Rate
Based on this, we can note some basic facts:
- Skill Gauge gained from hitting the opponent/getting hit is directly proportional to damage. Thus you can approximate the amount of Skill Gauge you and the opponent have gained based on how much damage a combo does, though rounding errors make this inexact.
- As a few quick rules of thumb, dealing 7000 damage will earn 1 Skill Gauge, while taking 12500 damage will will earn 1 Skill Gauge
Some moves ignore the formula and build a specific amount of Skill Gauge, like getting an "Excellent!!" or "Marvelous!!" during Clash Assaults.
Skill Gauge Cooldown
After performing an ability that consumes the Skill Gauge (such as Extra Skills, Distortion Skill, Reject Guards), you will gain 75% less Skill Gauge for a set amount of time. The exception to this is Extra Assault.
- Cooldown timer starts when Skill is used
- Combos that are started during the cooldown period will suffer reduced Skill gain throughout the entire combo, even if it lasts beyond the cooldown period.
- Doing 2 moves with cooldown in a row will cause the later to take priority
- EX: Reject Guard > Distortion Skill will only have the Distortion Skill's cooldown
Skill Gauge Increase
After an Active Change your character will have a red/blue silhouette. During this time, the amount of Skill gained from attacking is increased by 50% (aka no bonus from blocking or getting hit). This effect lasts for 479 frames.
Once the time is down to 80, both players start gaining Skill automatically! This gain is still affected by Skill Gauge Cooldown.
The Cross Gauge is used for various actions that involve your partner.
|Action||Cross Gauge Used|
|Active Partner Skill||50%|
|Cross Combo||All Remaining (min 50% required)|
|Cross Raid||All Remaining (can be used even at 0%)|
Cross Gauge Cooldown
After using your Partner, the Cross Gauge will stop recovering for a while. As a rule of thumb, the more "intense" the action, the longer the cooldown.
|Action||Partner Skill Available||Cooldown Until Cross Gauge Begins Recovering|
|Duo Change||Available on 24F of Duo Change. Duo Change is 33F total.||when Partner Skill is available|
|Partner Skill||110F after taunt animation begins||when Partner Skill is available|
|Distortion Duo||106F after taunt animation begins||when Partner Skill is available|
|Active Partner Skill||110F after taunt animation begins||30F after Partner Skill available|
|Active Change||110F after taunt animation begins||Cooldown equal to whatever type of Partner Skill was used for Active Switch|
|Cross Combo||110F after taunt animation begins||150F after Partner Skill available|
|Cross Burst||132F after super flash ends (takes longer when done in the air)||300F after Partner Skill available. Point character must also return to neutral state after Cross Burst.|
- If you do any of the above actions during the Cooldown of another action, cooldown is not reset - it will use whichever cooldown value is bigger.
- For example, if you do a Cross Burst (300F cooldown), then wait 50F and use a Partner Skill (0F cooldown), then the cooldown after the Partner Skill is 250F.
This diamond shaped gauge is used for Resonance Blaze. The efficacy of Resonance Blaze will increase the higher the Resonance Level. You start the match at level 1 and max is level 4, with each level adding a mini-diamond to the gauge. To increase your Resonance Level, use partner actions such as Clash Assault, Partner Skills, Cross Combo, Cross Burst and Distortion Skill Duo.
Below is a table showing the amount each action raises your Resonance Gauge.
|Resonance Gauge||Clash Assault||Clash Assault + Extra Assault||Raw Partner Skill||Active Partner Skill||Cross Raid||Cross Combo||Cross Burst||Distortion Skill Duo|
- Resonance Gauge gain carries over into the next level, so you may need one action fewer for a later level
- Clash Assault only builds Resonance Gauge if your partner participates during the follow-up sequence
- Clash Assault builds the same amount of Resonance Gauge regardless of whether you get a Good!, Excellent!! or Marvelous!! rating
- Raw Partner Skill calls and Active Partner Skill calls build the same amount of Resonance Gauge regardless of the version of the Partner Skill (, , )
- Azrael [★]
- Celica A. Mercury [★]
- Es [★]
- Hakumen [★]
- Hazama [★]
- Iron Tager [★]
- Izayoi [★]
- Jin Kisaragi [★]
- Jubei [★]
- Mai Natsume [★]
- Makoto Nanaya [★]
- Naoto Kurogane [★]
- Nine the Phantom [★]
- Noel Vermillion [★]
- Platinum the Trinity [★]
- Rachel Alucard [★]
- Ragna the Bloodedge [★]
- Susano'o [★]
- Nu-13 [★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data