- Small Character: Small body makes him difficult to hit compared to other more normal-sized characters. Due to the nature of his normals, Kid Buu has the ability to do multiple overhead normals on a standing opponent outside of sparking.
- Powerful Neutral: amazing neutral control with medium normals covering most of the screen, as well as having an aerial beam.
- Incredible Mixups: probably the best and most infallible mix-up game; 2S is a command jump that enables him to airdash after, and Arm Ball possesses the highest blockstun in the game while also allowing Kid Buu to move during it. Mystic Ball is a good mix-up tool plus combo extender, and becomes ridiculous for mix-ups during corner blockstrings when paired with an assist.
- Anti-Air Throw: has an anti-air throw in Mystic Arm Swing that replaces 2H's use as anti-air option.
- Powerful Assists: since Assist A is Arm Ball, it has the highest blockstun in the game for a regular assist, unlocking the potential for the best mix-ups solely based on how much oki time it gives. Assist B is equally useful due to how easy it is to extend combos with, and Assist C is a beam.
- Low Damage: Kid Buu is reliant on spending resources to extend damage output. ToD's are hard, and lots of his moves have non-medium scaling.
- Poor 2H: the aforementioned 2H has a pathetic horizontal hitbox, almost zero point in using the move over Mystic Arm Swing outside of scaling.
- Poor Level 3: ironically, Planet Burst does not have very good oki off the Hard Knockdown.