- Press L/M/H to perform normal attacks.
Depending on the current state of your character (standing, crouching, jumping, close to opponent), your character will do different attacks. As a general rule, L attacks are weak and fast, H attacks are strong and slow, and M attacks are between the two.
Standing normals actually have 2 versions - one when you're close to the opponent, and another when you're far away.
Sweep & Overheads
All characters have two universal attacks:
- Press U to perform a sweep, which must be guarded against low
- Press M+H to perform a overhead attack, which must be guarded against high.
Each character has a Unique Action by pressing U. These Unique Actions can range from attacks like Gran's Power Surge, to power-up moves Vaseraga's Power Surge.
- To perform a normal ground throw, press L+M while next to the opponent.
Throws are a special type of attack which is unblockable, making it a good option to open your opponent up.
Opponents can not always be thrown. Below is a list of situations when the opponent cannot be thrown:
- While the opponent is in hitstun + ?? frames after.
- While the opponent is in blockstun + 5 frames after blockstun ends.
- While the opponent is knocked down + 9 frames after. (If the opponent techs, they have no throw invincibility)
- 5 frames after a late throw tech
- During prejump.
- Ground throws will miss airborne opponents and vice versa.
- Some attacks are throw invincible, which is noted in the Frame Data.
Command throws are a special type of throw (usually a Skill) that can not be escaped even if you input a throw break. In order to escape these type of throws, you must either:
- Jump if it's a ground command throw
- Not be in the space that they hit if it's a command throw that hits in the air
Command throws are more powerful than throws at breaking the guard of opponents who simply block but they usually pay the price by having more recovery when they miss, making them easier to punish.
Priority of Strike vs Throw vs Command Throw
When two strikes hit each other, either a clash happens or a character(s) get hit, but what happens when throws are added to the mix?
- Throw vs Strike: The throw will always win.
- Normal Throw vs. Normal Throw: A Throw Break occurs
- Normal Throw vs. Command Throw: The Command Throw will win.
Command Throws have a few different classifications. In order of priority, from lowest to highest:
- Easy Input (command throws using the Ability Button)
- Technical Input (command throws done with motion + L/M/H)
- Skybound Arts and Super Skybound Arts
Lower priority Command Throws will lose to higher priority Command Throws. Throw Breaks will occur when two command throws are of equal priority.
- Percival's Unique Action (X-Selee) counts as a Easy Input Command Throw as far as throw priority goes.
- Skybound Arts and Super Skybound Arts will whiff instead of Throw Break
By pressing a specific direction and S, you can perform a Skill.
Skills are attacks that have unique effects and properties. A list of your character's Skill are presented under the HUD, once the input is recognized, that Skill will be activated and will be rendered unusable until the cooldown has passed.
In addition, you can hold M or H before pressing S, to use the M/H versions of that Skill.
Instead of using the S Button as a shortcut, button inputs for activating skills, skybound arts, and super skybound arts can be entered manually. This reduces the skill's cooldown, as well as slightly improving the properties of the attack.
- Attacks do 25% chip damage as opposed to 20%
- Damage of Skills is increased, values vary from move to move
- Skybound and Super Skybound Arts trigger the cinematic hit from further distance compared to normal versions.
Skybound Art/Super Skybound Art
- Skybound Arts (SBA) are attacks that are even more powerful than Skills, cost 100% SB Gauge, and can be activated by inputting S or H.
Note that some characters might have more than one Skybound Arts.
Super Skybound Arts
- Super Skybound Arts (SSBA) are even more powerful than Skybound Arts.
To perform this Super, your health must be at 30% or lower, and your SB gauge is at 100%. Your lifebar and SB Gauge will turn blue and your character's icon will flash white when you meet the requirements.
Then the Super Skybound Arts can be activated by inputting S+U or U.