- 1 Normals
- 2 Throws
- 3 Skills
- 4 Skybound Art/Super Skybound Art
- Press L/M/H to perform normal attacks.
Depending on the current state of your character (standing, crouching, jumping, close to opponent), your character will do different attacks. As a general rule, L attacks are weak and fast, H attacks are strong and slow, and M attacks are between the two.
With very few exceptions, standing normals actually have 2 versions - one when you're close to the opponent, and another when you're far away. For notations these are generally distinguished by the prefix c (close) or f (far), like f.M and c.M.
- Press L/M/H after hitting the opponent with c.L/c.M/c.H to perform an autocombo.
All characters have 2 autocombo followups performed one after the other, and they're done the same way: press L/M/H to after the preceding attack.
Autocombos act as an easy way to tack on a bit of extra damage, but compared to other combos they usually don't as much damage and they're minus on block so it's best to use them only when you need them for a specific combo.
Button Priorities and Crush/Clash
In general, priority for normals from weakest to strongest is Light > Medium > Heavy.
- Unique attacks (5U, 2U) have the same priority as mediums, but there are exceptions.
- Vaseraga has better priorities, meaning he will always beat same-strength normals. His jH will never beat a 2H though.
- For the most part, specials have the same priority as the strength of the special, but there are a lot of exceptions to this.
- With the exception of jL's, air attacks have worse priority than grounded attacks, meaning a 2H will beat about anything if timed right.
Sweep & Overheads
All characters have two universal attacks:
- Press U to perform a sweep, which must be guarded against low
- Press M+H to perform a overhead attack, which must be guarded against high.
Sweep launches the opponent and causes a hard knockdown.
Landing an overhead on grounded opponent will put them into crouching hitstun. Landing an overhead on a whiffed throw will force Counter Hit state.
Each character has a Unique Action by pressing U. These Unique Actions can range from attacks like Gran's Power Raise, to power-up moves like Vaseraga's Soul Forge.
- To perform a normal ground throw, press L+M or L+U while next to the opponent.
Throws are a special type of attack which is unblockable, making it a good option to open your opponent up.
Opponents can not always be thrown. Below is a list of situations when the opponent cannot be thrown:
- Hitstun + 6F after
- Blocking + 5F after
- Hard Knockdown + 9F after
- Neutral/Back Tech + 9F after
- Prejump + 0F after
- Air Recovery + Until L + 9F after
- Late Throw Break + 5F after
- Ground throws will miss airborne opponents and vice versa.
- Some attacks are throw invincible, which is noted in the Frame Data.
Command throws are a special type of throw (usually a Skill) that can not be escaped even if you input a throw break. In order to escape these type of throws, you must either:
- Jump if it's a ground command throw
- Not be in the space that they hit if it's a command throw that hits in the air
Command throws are more powerful than throws at breaking the guard of opponents who simply block but they usually pay the price by having more recovery when they miss, making them easier to punish.
Priority of Strike vs Throw vs Command Throw
When two strikes hit each other, either a clash happens or a character(s) get hit, but what happens when throws are added to the mix?
- Throw vs Strike: The throw will always win.
- Normal Throw vs. Normal Throw: A Throw Break occurs
- Normal Throw vs. Command Throw: The Command Throw will win.
Command Throws have a few different classifications. In order of priority, from lowest to highest:
- Easy Input (command throws using the Ability Button)
- Technical Input (command throws done with motion + L/M/H)
- Skybound Arts and Super Skybound Arts
Lower priority Command Throws will lose to higher priority Command Throws. Throw Breaks will occur when two command throws are of equal priority.
- Percival's and Ladiva's Unique Action both count as Easy Input Command Throw as far as throw priority goes.
- Skybound Arts and Super Skybound Arts will whiff instead of Throw Break
By pressing a specific direction and S, you can perform a Skill.
Skills are attacks that have unique effects and properties. A list of your character's Skill are presented under the HUD, once the input is recognized, that Skill will be activated and will be rendered unusable until the cooldown has passed.
In addition, you can hold M or H before pressing S, to use the M/H versions of that Skill.
The H versions of Skills are generally the most expensive: they have the longest cooldown - on the order of 6+ seconds, but cause hard knockdown, and generally wallbounce or otherwise allow you to combo off of them in the corner.
Instead of using the S Button as a shortcut, button inputs for activating Skills, Skybound Arts, and Super Skybound arts can be entered manually. This reduces the Skill's cooldown, as well as slightly improving the properties of the attack.
- Attacks do 25% chip damage as opposed to 20%
- Damage of Skills is increased, values vary from move to move
- Skybound and Super Skybound Arts:
- Have higher minimum damage
- Have further range to trigger their cinematic Enhanced versions
- Enhanced versions give better positioning for okizeme
- Ladivas SA and SSA command grab supers do more damage raw with technical inputs, likely since they require the hardest inputs.
Skybound Art/Super Skybound Art
- Skybound Arts (SBA) are attacks that are even more powerful than Skills, cost 100% SB Gauge, and can be activated by inputting S or H.
Note that some characters have more than one Skybound Art.
Super Skybound Arts
- Super Skybound Arts (SSBA) are even more powerful than Skybound Arts and give a different cinematic winscreen if you end games with it.
To perform this Super, your health must be at 30% or lower, and your SB gauge is at 100%. Your lifebar and SB Gauge will turn blue and your character's icon will flash white when you meet the requirements.
Then the Super Skybound Arts can be activated by inputting S+U or U.