Axl is a dork, and you'll love him all the more for it. Based off of Guns N' Roses' own Axl Rose, Axl is a British goofball who has easily the highest range in the game.
Jumping against Axl is suicide, since he can cover most of the entire screen with normals that cover a huge amount of the stage and can lead into big damage combos. He has an unblockable command grab, two crossup attacks, two counters, a frame-one autoguard move, and surprising damage potential for a character who's built for range when he's near the corner (and excellent corner carry with meter). Rensengeki is a good projectile that works for pressure and combos that becomes even more useful with FRC, eating through other projectiles and has two follow-ups, one for catching jump attempts and the other for tacking on damage and knockdown at close range. He can bait reversal options with his counters and some of his long ranged normals (3P in particular). However, when opponents are in Axl's face, there's very little he can do about it. His super is easy to bait, his Dead Angle is slow and has a bad hitbox, and Hachisubako (autoguard DP-esque move) is weak to lows and unsafe on block. If you like keeping the pressure on from a bit far away, Axl might just be the character for you.
|Axl Low is a mid-range offense specialist and anti-air'er supreme.|
Note: Startup value in [ ] indicates Startup of the weapon's tip.
An anti-air for catching jump startup and low air approaches.
- Situationally useful for punishing projectile startup.
- The extended hurtbox and high aim makes it a fairly weak poke for grounded neutral, and it should be used sparingly against grounded opponents who aren't extra tall.
- Gatlings into 6K and 2S, and the two hits make it easy to hitconfirm, so this is one of Axl's core starters for air combos.
Gatling Options: 6K, 2S
Axl's jab. It's pretty slow, and also you do it with the K button.
- Decent safe pressure starting tool and poke
- One of the better normals to use in stagger pressure and tick throws
- Gatlings into 5P, which helps a lot with air pickups when the opponent is close to the ground
- Moves Axl's low hurtbox backward, allowing it to avoid low pokes when properly spaced.
- This is your fastest normal, but it's too slow to escape perfect tick throws, which makes Axl particularly vulnerable to them.
Gatling Options: 5P,2P,6P,3P,c.S,f.S,2S,5H,2H,5D,2D
A good move for throw option selects and combo filler.
- jump cancelable.
- +1 on block, making it especially good to option select with throw.
Can be used to get the confirm after frc rensen or axl bomber in the corner.
Gatling Options: 5P,2P,6P,f.S,2S,5H,2H,6H,5D,2D
- Good footsie and approach stopper
- Good round start move, only directly contestable in a few matchups
- Staggers on counterhit. This can allow some tricky situations with Rashou Sen, but also makes the hitconfirm into Rensen Geki more guaranteed
- Can be low profiled under
f.S can be gatling'd into from 2P. This gives you more options out of 2P, or could withdraw 2P's hurtbox early for safety if 2P connects.
If this move is done at typical spacing, cancelling it into a Rensen Geki will combo against a crouching opponent, but not against a standing opponent (unless counterhit).
Gatling Options: 5H,5D
5H is mostly combo or blockstring filler, but has some useful properties.
- Bounces on counterhit, making it rewarding in frametraps.
- Has some hurtbox shenanigans that often work like upper body invul, so it will occasionally trade favorably (especially on counterhit).
- At -2 on block, its one of Axl's safest ways to end a blockstring without an frc
- Raises guardbar by 20 points
5H's main selling points are its damage, guardbar, and stun. Many of Axl's special moves have a lot of startup, and canceling from 5H is often the best way to make them harder to contest
Gatling Options: 6H,5D,2D
Axl's dust doesn't lead to much damage, but has decent corner carry and can catch them not paying attention because, like all 5D's, it hits high. Its main strength is that it has huge range for a dust. Its weakness is that its tied with S Raei Sageki for Axl's slowest move (28F startup).
5D also has some lower-body invuln near the active frames, and can be used to call out lows pre-emptively
While 6H is usually preferred as an overhead due to faster startup and better nominal frame advantage, 5D is safer in many circumstances because it pushes the opponent further away and doesn't put Axl right in jab range in its startup
Axl can do a fake impossible dust combo (8jD-8jD-TK Bomber) from nearly any range, which can be converted into a bomber loop from pretty far from the corner. With the Axl Bomber FRC, it can also lead to a normal air combo midscreen.
Fun Axl Fact: This move has so much range, it can make it hard to actually get the launch combo if it connects from too far away. You can sometimes fix this by using j.6P to pull them closer to Axl at the beginning when the screen flashes.
1~10F upper body invul, but not as much as most 6Ps. The hurtbox extends higher than 2S and the hitbox is tiny, so it's pretty bad as an anti-air, especially since Axl is a walking surface-to-air missile and any of his long range chain attacks will serve you better.
6P launches on counter hit and has the upper body invul, so it can occasionally work as a high-reward counterpoke, but 3[P] is much more effective for that and less likely to get you killed.
Mostly this move serves as blockstring filler, adding some extra guardbar when you have the space to gatling it from c.S or 5K, and it's Jump-Cancelable, so it can add some tricks to your pressure.
Gatling Options: 3P,c.S,f.S,2S,5H,2H,5D,2D
Long range chain, hits between the angles of 5P and 2S. This move serves two main purposes
The first is to use this as necessary combo filler after anti-airing with 5P when they are too far away to go right into 2S.
The second is doing it after a faked Rashou Sen to catch them trying to jump from fear of a real one. Just be sure they actually jumped or you could be in trouble for whiffing this move!
Its also a long range anti-air that can catch people trying to jump, but it has a lot of cooldown, so its only recommended for this as a last resort when other anti-airs will miss. (5P is a better for catching jumps)
Like most button hold versions of Axl's chains, 6[K] ruins combos and is more in the negative on block than the normal version.
You can get a combo directly from an anti-air 6K, but only with TK FB Bomber, j.K, or j.6P
Can chain back and forth with 2S to force an aerial opponent to spend a ton of meter FDing or catch them trying to tech
All of Axl's long range chains have a hurtbox and this is no exception. Don't stick a fork in the electrical socket.
Gatling Options: 2S,6H
A leaping overhead with long startup and active frames.
- Safest to do after 5H, but c.S and 3P are also good choices.
- Airborne between frames 11 and 31, so it can beat most low-hitting attacks if you read them correctly.
- If 6H lands as an anti-air, it can usually confirm into a combo
- Hitting 6H late as meaty on wake-up gives you a big frame advantage, but can be reacted to with invuln reversals
- Decent untech time, used for higher-damage air combo extensions
- A great move to RC for pressure/combo extension
- Moves Axl closer to the opponent (can help get you to preferred range for a matchup/situation)
6H can whiff entirely by jumping over some crouching characters if done too close. It will occasionally hit them as a cross-up (especially against Faust), but it's not very reliable
Like 5P, but lower
- Extends faster than 2H, but generally a weaker low poke option
- Great for extending pressure with f.S and 6H gatlings, and is special-cancellable to boot
- Really bad hurtbox, so not very useful for neutral (Many 2Ps, 6Ps, and anything low profile will beat it clean from almost max range)
- Vacuum effect can make a Raei Sageki very ambiguous (but unsafe)
Gatling Options: f.S,6H
They call him Axl Low for a reason
- Axl's fastest low
- Decent for tick throws, especially with sliding momentum
- Incredibly low-profile, will duck many projectiles and falling air normals
Gatling Options: c.S,f.S,2S,2H,5D,2D
The god anti-air
- Huge upward range and decent horizontal coverage, plus a crouching hurtbox. This is what Axl has instead of a 6P
- Jump-cancellable and pulls the opponent downward, so very important for converting into air combos
- More untechable than 6K, allowing followups like j.H or j.D
- Does not cover the range directly above Axl. Never use in situations where the opponent is falling straight onto Axl, such as when his back is to the corner and they are coming down along the same edge of the screen (At this spacing, your best anti-air option is probably airthrow or tenhouseki, but 5H also works if you have enough time to get it out)
Gatling Options: 6K
Big scary low hooks
- Huge range low that pulls in a decent amount
- Not special-cancellable, but gatlings into both 6H and 5D, as well as 2D, meaning that your opponent is in a (kinda slow) mixup situation after blocking it
- Great for pulling the opponent close enough to launch for a combo
- FRC point can save you from a whiff punish or sometimes extend pressure
- Staggers on hit, so can sometimes combo into throw if the opponent isn't fast enough
- Decently disjointed at the tip, so it clashes with several DPs if spaced well
Gatling Options: 6H,5D,2D
- A relatively fast, disjointed, and low-commitment option
- His only chain move without any hurtbox on the chain. Only Axl's body can be hit during this move
- Slow at neutral, but a great pressure starter if it connects
When used to start a blockstring at neutral, 3P offers simple high/low/crossup(S Raei Sageki)/Rahou Sen mixup, or frame trap/throw if you choose.
Gatling Options: f.S,2S,5H,2H,6H,5D,2D
- Confirm, or at least a knockdown, on counter
One of the few instances where holding the button is often worth it. On counterhit, the first hit will pop the opponent into the air and the second hit will screw up your intended confirm, so if you can predict you're going to stuff something, you can give yourself more time to confirm by holding the button, and go into 2S or 5H, instead of unintentionally letting the opponent air-tech away. The 3[P] counterhit can also be used to fish for a knockdown at neutral.
Sweep the leg
- Axl's sweep has more range than most
- Good low mixup late in your strings
- One of the easiest confirms into rensen in most situations
Axl's only actual jab
- Useful for air tick throws and blockstrings
- Occasionally helps with spacing in air combos
- Can gatling from j.S to preserve counterhits and avoid projectiles and guard counters trying to hit the j.S hurtbox
- Often used falling as a relatively safe jump-in that can lead to j.K for a second overhead
At least we get a mashable jab in the air! Its a good air-to-air, and works for bringing them to the ground if you get them to block it. Jumping up and air-to-airing with this move can be a useful way to catch people trying to jump in when they expect 2P or try a weird angle that Axl's anti-airs have trouble covering.
j.P gatlings into all of Axl's other air normals, so you have lots of options to confirm into a combo. If you anti-air or jump in with mash j.P near the ground, you can gatling into j.H → landing cancel, then continue the combo on the fly (5K, 2S, and 5P work well for the pickup).
You can also set up a bomber loop in the corner with jump in>late air dash>j.P>j.D>H Axl Bomber. Mix this up with j.H safe jump and empty jump 2K so they'll never see it coming.
Gatling Options: j.6P,j.K,j.S,j.H,j.D
- Surprisingly long reach, great air-to-air tool
- Untechable forever and ever on air counterhit, often long enough to land and pick up a combo
- One of your fastest rising normals, and crucial for picking up air combos from weird spacing
- Good for option selecting with airthrow
j.K is a useful air-to-air with good range and speed. It can confirm into j.D>FB Axl Bomber on hit for a combo, or gatling into mash j.P on block to bring them to the floor for ground pressure.
j.K can also work as a last resort jump in when the spacing or timing are wrong for j.H or j.S.
Gatling Options: j.P,j.6P,j.S,j.D
- Long-range downward overhead
- Great for disrupting attempts to zone
- Situational combo extender in the air
- Can reverse-gatling into j.P to be safer from guard counters and projectiles on block
- The highest-range safe jump normal in the game
Gatling Options: j.P,j.6P,j.H
Ignorant air button
- Hits in a circle all around Axl's body
- Great for adding blockstun to air strings
- IAD j.H is useful as a burst-safe extender after a launch
- Adds a lot of the damage in Axl's air combos
- The best and often the only option to catch low-profile moves while falling
Gatling Options: j.D
The drop kick
- Decent-range overhead
- Launches and is very untechable, use it to convert air-to-ground hits
- Primary combo filler for bomber loops, as it's the highest-damage air normal that combos into regular Axl Bomber
- Can possibly make their burst whiff, if done from low altitude and at max range
5P, but in the air
- Very fast and not a lot of pushback, often essential for midscreen FB Axl Bomber extensions
- Great rising air normal for anti-airing where 6K won't reach
- Gatlings from j.S to add another long-range overhead to a blocked approach
- Generally a pretty good air-to-air poke
- Puts the opponent opposite the direction you threw them (forward throw puts them behind Axl, back throw puts them in front)
- Best move to option select with is c.S
- link into 5P, 6K, or microdash > 5k to confirm into a combo
- Throw > Rensen Geki or Throw > FB Kyokusa Geki are burst safe kills
Be mindful of the corner when going for a throw. Don't miss a bomber loop because you threw them out of the corner. By the same token, don't get killed doing a non-os'd throw because you wanted the bomber loop too badly.
2K, 5K, c.S, and 3P are good moves for tick throwing
Some heavy or small hitbox characters, such as Johnny, Ky and RoboKy, require microdash > 5K to get the confirm.
Its tempting to reversal throw as Axl, due to his lack of other reversal options, but don't get comfortable with it. Its extremely easy to bait.
Use this option select (works in AC and +R with all characters) if you wakeup reversal throw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9z2BJwdDg
An average, but useful airthrow. Grants an oki.
- If you know you can't end a bomber loop in knockdown, watch for your chance to tech trap them with an airthrow and put them back in the corner
- Best move to option select with is j.K, but j.H works too
Not very good, but one of Axl's few ways to defend himself
- Very easy to low profile
- +2 on block
Axl can combo off his Dead Angle Attack with DAA>5P>whatever. The damage is very small, but the moves after the Dead Angle can kill the opponent if they are almost out of life.
A fast, throw-invulnerable attack about as big as Axl's body
- Comes out in 4F, making it Axl's fastest attack
- Upper-body invuln comparable to some of the better 6Ps in the game
- Good as a combo starter, launches and has an FRC point after the hit
- Sometimes trades with overheads, and can allow a meterless air conversion in this situation
- While not a real invincible DP, this is your go-to, fast, throw-invulnerable move that can potentially get the opponent off of you.
- Invuln is only above the knees, so S Benten may trade or lose to some low profile moves
Due to hitstop, this move's FRC has a hit and a whiff timing. It costs more meter, but you can opt to go for the whiff timing to make sure you either RC or FRC either way.
Its risky due to not being a real DP, but the partial invul allows S Benten RC/FRC to used as a frame trap.
S Benten RC/FRC is a viable way to continue the combo if you don't have Rensen charged up
Because the FRC point is so early, gatling into S Benten FRC is a way to quickly put Axl back to neutral for safety.
H Version is a low-crushing anti-air with a followup
- Lower-body invincible and also throw-invuln, so sometimes can be used to beat mixup
- Situational anti-air, but pretty slow to start up. The extension on the second hit covers a range somewhere in-between 6K and 2S
- The chain part of this move's hurtbox doesn't go all the way up, so it may beat some things that Axl's other anti-airs lose to.
- The Axl Bomber followup is untechable for a long time, so this is a good meterless ender for air combos you want to knock the opponent down (This is good for when you don't want to spend meter on a prorated combo from throw or Tenhouseki, or just want to keep your pressure in exchange for doing a bit less damage)
H Benten RC can continue the combo if you don't have Rensen charged up, and raise the opponent's guardbar 40 points, while continuing your pressure if they block.
You can opt to do H Benten at the end of a surface-to-air combo with Axl's long range buttons to get a burst safe kill
Followup Axl Bomber
H Benten Gari -> 623H
Follow-up version of Axl Bomber
- Untechable for a long time, so this is a good way to end a combo in knockdown
Followup Kokuu Geki
H Benten Gari -> 623H -> 63214S
Further followup from Axl Bomber continuation
- Still has the FRC point, so can be used to be safer on a blocked H Bentengari
- Situational combo extender, but you usually want to take the knockdown
Fast projectile that hits near the ground. One of Axl's most important tools.
- Axl's farthest reaching attack
- Hard knockdown most of the time, good for ending ground strings
- Considered a projectile, and will stuff many other projectiles.
- Rensen can hit three times, which also means it absorbs up to three hits from another projectile, making it difficult to negate
- Useful long range bullying tool if used carefully. The threat of Rensen can get people to jump, giving you a chance to anti-air them.
- Can catch people trying to hit the hurtboxes on long range chain normals.
- Good chip and OTG damage.
- Can be followed up with Kyokusa Geki or Sensa Geki from f41~62, so you have significant wiggle room to make it ambiguous.
- Works as a long range oki if you simply want to reset to long range neutral after a knockdown.
- The FRC point allows Axl to continue pressure from massive frame advantage and launch from most ground hits.
Extremely important to making Axl threatening at long range and dealing with opponents who attack the hurtbox on long range chains. The FRC is a cornerstone of Axl's pressure and confirms, so it is absolutely essential that you master it.
Rensen Geki -> 8 or 9
Anti-Air followup to Rensengeki
- Catch people jumping over Rensen
- Very untechable on counterhit, but usually not a combo extender
- Covers a wide arc encompassing most of Axl's normal anti-air range
- Adds one more projectile hit after the three hits from Rensen, and can still be performed even if Rensen was completely negated.
- Considered a projectile. Does not have a hurtbox other than Axl's body.
Rensen Geki -> 2 or 3
Low followup to Rensengeki
- Occasionally catches people low, but not much of a mixup because there's no overhead threat
- Does a lot of chip damage and guardbar (8 points x 5 if they all connect)
- Great for tacking on damage and ensuring knockdown in the corner
- Pulls the opponent slightly toward Axl, which can take them out of the corner and allows crossups on oki
- Safer on block than Rensen, but still dangerous because the opponent can faultless to push themselves out early.
Full screen unblockable
- Not actually a throw, and so will catch jump startup and other throw-invul actions.
- Unblockable, but SB-able in the air (Leading to weird janky interactions)
- Not a lot of damage, but an essential tool for forcing people to jump
- Much of the startup is low-profile
- The projectile cannot be negated by other projectiles, and will simply pass through them until touching the opponent.
- Hitting the opponent puts Axl in an invincible throw animation, making this a great tool for getting through projectiles and traps
Fake it 'til you make it
- People get afraid of Rashousen. If they jump and you feint, they're often in your optimal anti-air range
P is High/Mid counter. K is Low counter (Not mids).
- Comes online in 4F, counters from f4~17
- Traps any high/mid attacks, but not projectiles. Also works on crossups.
- Due to Tenhou Seki's fast startup, you can counter a lot of slower moves on reaction.
- Taking a hit during the active frames of Tenhouseki causes an invulnerable throw animation that crosses the screen and hits the opponent no matter what. Useful for dealing with crowded screens if you can bait a hit.
- Allows a full air combo, but it's scaled to 65%
- Since the activation is essentially a guaranteed throw, it doesn't matter how many hits the opponent's attack has or if it's invincible. Great for catching reversals.
Works on Johnny's Mist Finer, even during Bacchus Sigh.
An autoguard attack that works as a way to punish those who think they've encroached upon Axl at a moment of weakness.
- Autoguards highs and mids from frame 1
- Special autoguard state makes Axl ignore hitpause when struck during the autoguard frames
- Probably Axl's best reversal option
- This is not a counter: It hits even if not activated, which lets Axl just gorilla through some matchups
S Raiei Sageki
Bandit Bringer, but more angular
- Jumps forward then hits below Axl
- Can hit as a crossup or in front, depending on range
- Doesn't stop momentum, so use it while running for more distance and ambiguity, or to land further past the opponent.
- Slides the opponent far away from Axl. This sliding state is long enough to pick up a full combo in the corner, but midscreen, it sends the opponent too far to hit with anything but max range rensen (too far to FRC and convert) without the FRC point.
This move's FRC point is very versatile. It happens right at the start of the active frames (2 frames before and 1 during the first active frame). This means that Axl will complete his jump and then cancel, leaving him in the air. Also, if you Jump Install the move (Either in a string before it's performed or by adding an upward direction to the end of the motion from neutral), you can double-jump or airdash afterward. This has a few major applications
- Mixup: Raei Sageki is already an ambiguous crossup, but the FRC adds another layer. With it, you can hit a different overhead (or two) while falling, or land and do a low or throw. If it's JI'd, you can also mess with timing with another jump, or airdash for another crossup layer with Kokuugeki
- Movement: Raei Sageki moves forward very quickly, and maintains your running momentum. You can use it a lot like Johnny's Killer Joker Transport FRC.
- Combo: With the last-frame FRC (Or an RC), the attack will still hit, but Axl will be free to act in the air. This allows a midscreen conversion for considerable damage using airdash-j.H if you JI.
H Raiei Sageki
- Goes all the way to max height, then hits all the way until Axl lands
- You can hold the button to stay in the sky longer
- You can DI left or right to move around through the entire move. Useful for messing with the opponent's spacing, covering more distance, or making it cross up ambiguously.
- Maintains running momentum, so it can travel almost the whole stage if done from running
- RCing this move puts Axl on the ground almost immediately no matter how high you hit. This allows for a fairly easy conversion, and can put the opponent at frame disadvantage above you if they block it in the air.
- The leap upward is very fast, and will dodge a lot of attacks and then punish them
- Axl's best way of catching opponents who can fly over his grounded AA kit, like Bridget
- Axl is still considered to have traversed the horizontal space he covers, so this can wipe out a whole forest against Testament
- Axl's primary corner combo tool, floorbounces the opponent while putting Axl back on the ground and is very untechable
- Stops Axl's momentum, hovers for a bit, then shoots downward, so it can screw with anti-airs and is just a nice movement tool
- Does a ton of blockstun, so it can do a lot to maintain your pressure if you can get it out. Great way to continue a blockstring from the air
- FRC point is pretty lenient and happens right as Axl lands (The FRC is actually on the landing recovery of the move). This allows conversions from midscreen, continuing pressure, and just being safer when you whiff
Versatile giant air projectile with a number of applications
- Stops Axl's air momentum completely, useful for air-to-air spacing
- This attack can't be blocked normally in the air, so it's a good harassment tool against aerial opponents
- The FRC allows Axl to continue pressure or combos from the air, and can confirm into a normal air combo on a close hit or on counterhit from most ranges
- Starts behind Axl in 7 frames, strong as a crossup in okizeme or pressure
Shiranami no Homura
Hachisubako -> 421D
25% Tension Cost Super.
- Can happen extremely quickly out of Hachisubako, including while the opponent is in hitpause from connecting with the autoguard frames
- Launches the opponent, so it's the easiest and cheapest way to convert from Hachisubako (Which is otherwise nearly impossible)
- Kinda risky if they can make it whiff, and the combo from it is scaled a bit, so pretty situational overall
FB Axl Bomber
Upward aerial Axl Bomber, more like the H Benten followup than the current one (just like before AC).
- Throw-invulnerable, so it can beat airthrow attempts
- Allows Axl to act afterward, preserving all jump options. FB Bomber can sometimes be used as an additional diagonal forward jump, or to mess with anti-air spacing and timing.
- Major combo extender and corner carry tool. Will connect off of a ton of different things and following up from it is pretty easy
FB Kyokusa Geki
- Crazy spacing tool, puts a projectile hitbox at near max Rensen range in 8 frames
- Covers a huge anti-air arc (along close to tip range of 2P, 5P, 6K, and 2S, but little of the space closer to Axl) very quickly
- Only comboable on counterhit, but a counterhit allows a full unscaled air conversion
- Normal hit is just barely techable before you can hit with anything, but usually puts the opponent in the perfect nightmare range for tech traps
Sometimes you just need a real DP
- Axl's only true fully-invulnerable reversal
- Two parts: First a giant multi-hit benten, then a big flaming rensen
- Pretty slow, and can be punished if they block or dodge the first part
- The first part hits slightly behind Axl on its last active frames and does double chip damage
- The second part is often safe on block
Rensen Ougi: Midare Gami
During IK Mode: 236236H
Chains we can believe in
- Like most IKs, super slow, risky, and not gonna see much play at a high level
- Active for a long time, and has a huge coverage along the ground, so if you're already in IK mode, you can punish DPs and bursts and stuff pretty pre-emptively
|Digital Watches||USA||-||Active||Play Boxfighter||CEOTaku19 Kumite|
|Kyoku236HS||USA - Arizona||The Gaming Zone||Active||Mains Axl and Anji||Link|
|Jason D.||USA - SoCal||Game Realms||-||Active||Has broken an estimated 33 joysticks in his career.||Link|
|Yosuke||Japan||Mikado||Retired||A Japanese Axl?!?!||Link|
NOTE: These tables are still WIP
|To edit frame data, edit values in GGACR/Axl Low/Data.|
- A.B.A [★]
- Anji Mito [★]
- Axl Low [★]
- Baiken [★]
- Bridget [★]
- Chipp Zanuff [★]
- Dizzy [★]
- Eddie [★]
- Faust [★]
- I-No [★]
- Jam Kuradoberi [★]
- Johnny [★]
- Justice [★]
- Kliff Undersn [★]
- Ky Kiske [★]
- May [★]
- Millia Rage [★]
- Order-Sol [★]
- Potemkin [★]
- Robo-Ky [★]
- Slayer [★]
- Sol Badguy [★]
- Testament [★]
- Venom [★]
- Zappa [★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data