May's gameplay is defined by her amazing normals, extremely good air mobility, and her oceanic moveset. Some of her larger normals are so oppressive with such great hitboxes that challenging them is suicide. She has the ability to run trains on players not aware of how to deal with her dolphins, air control, and excellent moves. Things like her 6P, Restive Rolling, FB Vertical Dolphins, and Applause for the victim can be suffocating. In many cases the best plan of action is for them to just FD and wait for her to make a mistake.
Despite being strong all around, May lacks damage conversion outside of the corner without meter. She doesn't have the best options against zoners besides simply dancing around in the air, and some of her go-to mixup options such as 3K are extremely punishable on block and on whiff. Overall though, May is a very solid character
|May is a neutral-based bully who uses her strong normals in tandem with her dolphins to pin down the opponent.|
May does a standard jab
- Pretty fast and the range on it is very short.
- Mostly used for extending her Dolphin Loop and tick OHK set-ups.
- Will whiff on some crouching characters.
Additional Frame Data: Initial Prorate 80%
May plants her anchor to the ground and does a quick spin with her feet out.
- Nice range, relatively fast, and throw invulnerable starting a few frames before going active.
- Good meaty due to throw invulnerability and good active frames.
- Great tool for footsies.
- Can be used to go over Robo-Ky's slide, Anji's stomps, Potemkin's Slide Head, and other low moves.
Additional Frame Data: High profile 4~17F. Throw invincible 4~14F.
May extends her anchor in front of her at head height.
- Strong combo starter.
- Usually only used in block strings or as a mediocre antiair in neutral.
May extends her anchor out as far as she can at waist height.
- May's longest range poke and is a good followup after 5K on block or hit.
- At level 4, converts more strongly than previous versions.
- Can be used for mid range knockdowns in conjunction with 3K but at max range 3K will not combo so be wary of this problem.
May slams her anchor down in front of her.
- Freakishly large hitbox.
- Converts off of counter hit and at close range.
- Wide Frame trap window at +7 on block.
Additional Frame Data: High profile 13~16F. Staggers opponent on ground CH (max 47F).
- Will Dizzy if stun is high
- Launches back on hit.
- Can be used after OHK to continue combos
- Special cancellable before and after active frames.
Additional Frame Data: Above knees invincible 1~18F. Blows back opponent and fully untechable on ground hit. Blows back opponent on air hit. Initial prorate 90%. Dizzy modifier x3.
Charged 6P's staple use is in combos to build stun and corner carry while buffering dolphins.
- Wall sticks on hit when close enough.
- Full charge will wall stick on hit, or is Level 6 on block.
- Special cancellable before and after active frames, on whiff.
- Staple corner loop (Character Specific).
Additional Frame Data: Above knees invincible 1~11F. Blows back opponent and fully untechable on ground hit. Wallsticks opponent on air hit (untechable for 40F, wallstick 30F). Initial prorate 90%. Attack starts up 9F after releasing button. Can be cancelled back to neutral on 4~19F.
|Startup (Charge)||Stun Multiplier||Blockstun|
- Builds stun
- Huge damage hitbox with a large active window, but awful recovery.
- Can be used as a high risk, high reward anti-air.
- Will knock down out of air hits/sliding/wallstick.
- High stun damage and can be converted from depending on height.
- Stagger can let you score an Overhead Kiss if they're not paying attention, but usually you'll have to buffer a Dolphin or convert to super.
- At point blank it will whiff on a few characters post-stun so don't use it to start your post-stun combo on them unless you space it further away: AB(always)/MA(always)/ED(roughly half the time)
The Max Charged version can be whiff canceled
- Turns into an overhead.
- Goes up to 90 damage.
- Gains over a second of hitstun on aerial counterhit.
- Special cancellable *before and slightly after* active frames.
- This can be used to fake out into Overhead Kiss or another appropriate special/super if the opponent reacts to the charge.
One of the slowest dusts in the game, but it has the built in mixup if held down at the proper range.
- Safe on block if not point blank.
May does a short range poke with the small end of her anchor.
- Useful for mashing out of close range pressure
- Often confirmed into a 2D knockdown and/or corner carry, especially from j.2H.
Additional Frame Data: Initial prorate 80%.
May slides down on the ground and pokes with her foot.
- Medium range poke that can lead to knockdown or combo with 2D.
- Can be used to low profile certain jump ins and DPs.
Additional Frame Data: Low Profile 7-10F. Initial prorate 80%.
May slides on the ground head first about 1/3-1/2 of the screen.
- Extreme low profile after the first 7 frames at the cost of being incredibly unsafe on block and in CH state until recovery.
- Must be FRC/RCed to make safe.
- Knocks down on hit.
- Can be very useful in dealing with characters with projectiles but easily baited and punished harshly if done predictably.
Additional Frame Data: Low profile 5~7F and 29~40F. Above feet invincible 8~28F. Knocks down opponent on ground hit. May is in CH state during move. May is in standing state from 1~7F. FRC timing 29~30F.
May extends her anchor out in front of her fairly far while crouched.
- Used to extend some of her corner combos.
- Useful against some projectiles like Justice nukes.
- Somewhat useful as a medium/far range poke or can be used to knockdown if close enough with 2D.
Staggers on hit (Max 31F). Can be used to low profile or clash with wakeup DPs if spaced correctly.
- Massively disjointed low hitbox.
- Extra long stagger on counter hit for better confirms.
- Has extended reach for Dolphin confirms, but won't lead to a launch at range unless the Dolphin is FRC'd.
- At max range, H Horizontal Dolphin may whiff.
- OHK can work as a gimmick, and supers might be able to connect if done quickly enough.
Additional Frame Data: Staggers opponent on ground hit (Max 31F). Pulls in opponent on CH (Max 43F).
May does a split and extends her leg out in front of her.
- Incredibly fast, lots of active frames, safe on block, and decent range.
- One of May's most important moves due to it being hit confirmable into a large majority of her damaging combos.
- Almost all ground normals chain into this move making most of them safer.
Very short range but her fastest air normal.
- Good for the usual pick-ups in air strings.
- Useful for option select air throws and for air to ground or air to air block strings with jK.
Quite fast and more range than jP.
- Decent closer ranged air-to-air.
- Useful for option select air throws and for air to ground or air to air block strings with jP.
Big hitbox jump-in.
- Very slow and generally not as useful as jH and j2H.
- Can beat/trade with certain 6Ps though as the hitbox extends much deeper into the opponent
- Useful for IAD jS > jH which is her most used IAD jump-in.
- Loses to faster AA's like jabs.
Fairly slow but has a great hitbox and leads to combos on counter hit.
- Very useful in neutral game to try to fish counter hits in air-to-air.
- High, non standard hitstun, and fully untechable on grounded Counter Hit.
- Can be used to safe jump wakeup super/DPs.
- Weak to air throws, properly timed antiairs, and fast air normals.
Additional Frame Data: Untechable for 28F. Floats opponent and fully untechable on ground CH.
May's best jump in tool which is fairly hard to deal with for most characters
- Crosses up when spaced properly.
- Level 4 attack on block for added hitstun.
- Leads to big damage on hit or counter hit with 25% meter.
- Don't get predictable. Can be air IB'd and thrown.
Additional Frame Data: Level 4 attack on block.
Good at building stun and as an air to air if opponent is above you.
- Has good amount of upper body invuln and an increased stun modifier.
- Has a late gatling point to every other button about halfway through its recovery.
- Otherwise mostly air combo filler.
- Stops air momentum and stalls briefly.
Additional Frame Data: Upper body invincible 7~21F. Floats opponent on hit (untechable for 21F). Dizzy modifier x1.75. Can gatling to P/K/S/H from 29F onwards.
Can be combo'd from by dashing and using Ultimate Whiner.
- Knocks down.
- Throws them opposite of the direction you grabbed them in.
- Still not as strong as Overhead Kiss, but at least instant like all other normal throws.
Has the second best air throw range in the game.
- Knocks down. Doesn't convert to anything.
- Throws them opposite of the direction you grabbed them in.
- Comes with the best sound effect in the game.
Dead Angle Attack
Very slow DAA compared to other characters which means it easier to bait.
Only useful in a pinch and against a predictable blockstring.
[D] (Hold D)
Mixes with 5D, but both can be properly blocked with an OS
- Has a smaller range than 5D so need to space accordingly.
- Can convert to an air combo.
Additional Frame Data: Floats and pulls in opponent on hit (untechable for 40F).
Mr. Dolphin Horizontal
Absurdly silly move which many opponents simply have a lot of trouble dealing with. Some May players center their neutral around this move entirely.
- Builds stun
- Fairly good hitbox which is difficult for many to contest.
- Despite being -9, launches May back on contact, making good punishes difficult.
- Active for a good amount of time.
- All versions: Can have the landing recovery cancelled on whiff. Makes whiff games a nightmare to deal with if the opponent is unfamiliar.
- Difficult to determine when the active window ends. You can often whiff this and then immediately land and throw.
- Has an FRC point for being made safer on either on hit or on block.
H travels further with minutely longer startup.
- Extremely active, far traveling move.
- Slides on air, a staple in May's corner BnBs.
- Similarly to the S version, possibly safe when spaced.
- Both versions must be jump-installed in order to use air movement out of the FRC.
Mr. Dolphin Vertical
Overhead and knockdown combo tool. Just as silly as the horizontal versions.
- Builds stun
- Very fast attack that becomes a high on frame 18.
- Quite unsafe on block, but still has an FRC to get out of dodge.
- Must be jump installed in block strings for jump/airdash after FRC. Will auto-JIs if not cancelled into.
- Staple in lame loops
- Can be made safe on block or on hit with FRC
H version travels higher than the S version. Mostly used for combo enders.
- Can be FRC'd for high damage extensions.
- Similar FRC behavior to the S Version.
- With FRC, the ground/air S version can be used to escape the corner quickly.
Air H version launches straight down and forwards at a 45 degree angle, very quickly.
- Used heavily in fuzzy guard setups with FRC
- Can be FRC'd right before it goes active to land and throw/low instead.
- Used in some combos to knockdown and/or for additional damage.
Applause for the Victim
May summons dolphins to come hold down the neutral. Space control and pressure tool.
The number of dolphins released (1-6) changes based on the duration for which the button is held. Not holding the button causes the dolphin to release at the quickest possible timing.
- Automatically releases two seconds after maximum charge, but releases fewer dolphins
- D version can be used for certain burst bait setups into combos
- Has a very short hurtbox, can be used to low profile for the first half of the move
- When FRC'd gives you a jumping mixup if used as oki
- Dolphins exit the hoop based on the hoop's facing direction
- Air hits from the dolphins cause knockdown making it a difficult combo tool
Additional frame data: Low profile: 1-25f. Floats opponent on hit. Total duration 55f. FRC timing 23~24f. Initial prorate 90%.
|Charge time (frames)||Dolphins released|
May dashes forward and then grabs the opponent (dash looks like her normal dash but slightly quicker).
- Has 6 frames of strike invincibility right before it activates.
- Fully converts on a successful grab.
- FRC'able only on whiff, should always be OS'd in case the opponent jumps to lead into vertical dolphins.
Additional Frame Data: Strike invincible 19~25F. Wall bounces opponent on hit (untechable for 80F). Whiff animation is 42F. Forced prorate 65%.
Used to continue combos on opponents in OTG state.
- Pretty slow/obvious overhead but can be RCed for an expensive frame trap.
Additional Frame Data: Foot invincible and airborne 16~33F. Low profile 34~39F and 48~51F. Above feet invincible 40~47F. Foot invincible 52~64F. Ground bounces opponent on hit (untechable for 60F). Removes OTG status on hit. May is in CH state during the move. Forced prorate 80%.
Go, Mr. Dolphin! Horizontal
56D during Mr. Dolphin Horizontal
Changes Horizontal Dolphin from fairly unsafe to very plus. Staple for combo extensions and loops.
- Disembarks the Dolphin on the frame you press the button.
- Remains active for significantly longer than regular dolphin alone.
- Fairly good advantage for running a further mixup.
- Both Versions: Similiarly to regular Dolphins, must be jump installed in block strings/combos for jump/airdash after FRC. Wiil Auto-JIs if not cancelled into?
Go, Mr. Dolphin! Vertical
58D during Mr. Dolphin Vertical
One of Mays tool for extending pressure.
- Can start combos, but is otherwise rarely used in them.
- Can be used at neutral to establish advantage and goes over a lot of projectiles.
- Must be jump installed in block strings/combos for jump/airdash. Wiil auto-JI when not cancelled into.
Additional Frame Data: Untechable for 30F.
May's fastest reversal but unsafe on block.
- Frame 9 with full invul and knockdown.
- Can RC on block to make safe/advantageous.
- Vacuums on hit for a full cycle.
- Can be used to cancel OTG state to extend combos or off of normal throws.
Additional Frame Data: Fully invincible 1~10F. Throw invincible 11~13F. 1st hit fully untechable on air hit. 3rd-8th hits are untechable for 50F each. 9th attack blows back opponent on hit (untechable for 50F). 2nd-8th hits have hitstop 0F. Removes OTG on hit. If the 1st attack whiffs, no other attacks occur.
Great Yamada Attack
Big active hitbox for 3/4th of the screen
- Covers a wide angle. Anti-airs and has some upper body invincibility past frame 5.
- Blasts through other projectiles and locks the opponent's movement for 11 frames after the flash.
- Frame 0 after the flash. If the opponent is in the blast zone they're going to eat it (directly above or slightly behind May).
- Combos from a 6P combo depending on spacing.
- Will convert based on the height the opponent was at when they get hit.
Additional Frame Data: Strike invincible 5~22F. Wall bounces opponent on hit (untechable for 90F). Opponent can't move until 11 frames after superflash. Whale goes through other projectiles.
Super Screaming Ultimate Spinning Whirlwind
Infinite Superarmor reversal which is safe on block.
- Alternate to Whiner, loses to Overdrives and throws, and is quite slow on startup.
- Also susceptible to being Slashbacked and thrown.
- Cancels into Deluxe Goshogawara Bomber to become even more advantageous.
- Deals a good amount of chip enough to slashback > throw it.
- Extremely useful against Eddie setups and other oppressive pressure.
Additional Frame Data: Fully invincible on 1F. Wall bounces opponent on hit (untechable for 120F). Hitstop 7F. Can cancel to Deluxe Tile Bomber after the start-up ends. Dizzy modifier x0. Has superarmor, can only be stopped with overdrives.
Deluxe Goshogawara Bomber
P during SSUSW
Makes SSUSW +20.
- Can hit behind May if an opponent ends up on the other side and tries to challenge her.
- Useful if the opponent gets behind May and tries to punish.
- Leads to a safe but predictable OHK followup, forcing them to jump or reversal.
Additional Frame Data: Blows back opponent on hit (untechable for 60F). Blockstun 28F
May and the Jolly Crew
During IK Mode: 4123641236H
A notably good IK.
- May's stun potential makes this more viable than most IKs
- Acts as an actual reversal.
- Can be inputted 4123641236H or 6321463214H no matter what side May is on.
Additional Frame Data: IK Mode activation: 70F. Fully invincible 1~18F. Whiff animation 23F.
Fluff info: https://guilty-gear.fandom.com/wiki/May
|To edit frame data, edit values in GGACR/May/Data.|
- A.B.A [★]
- Anji Mito [★]
- Axl Low [★]
- Baiken [★]
- Bridget [★]
- Chipp Zanuff [★]
- Dizzy [★]
- Eddie [★]
- Faust [★]
- I-No [★]
- Jam Kuradoberi [★]
- Johnny [★]
- Justice [★]
- Kliff Undersn [★]
- Ky Kiske [★]
- May [★]
- Millia Rage [★]
- Order-Sol [★]
- Potemkin [★]
- Robo-Ky [★]
- Slayer [★]
- Sol Badguy [★]
- Testament [★]
- Venom [★]
- Zappa [★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data