replace with GAMEPLAY overview, not lore info
Discord post by Noj on 2019/05/14:
It isn't just Bridget's movement that sets her apart, a lot of her ground chains (like c.S>6P>c.S) have built-in frametraps (so if the person is mashing, they'll eat the 6P), making people more likely to hold block when Bridget is in their face, allowing for cheeky yo-yo sets behind them even though it's super unsafe. Having the yo-yo behind someone is a situation that is 100% ideal for Bridget, since she can use f.S to apply far pressure, and cancel f.S into 214K (roll) for immediate air pressure follow up with her air normals (generally j.S is your go-to for horizontal poking, j.2S has the most hitstun so it's useful for hitting them with right before you hit the ground so that you can continue it as a grounded combo, and j.P is just a really fast poke).
Movement-wise, the most important skill with her is being able to abuse the faultless defense cancel of her roll, shooting her straight up as was talked about earlier. A pretty common way to get out of the corner / change positions is to superjump set2, 214K (fd) 214K (fd) air dash, recover yo-yo. It's a really strong escape because if they try to chase you down for it, they have to block the yo-yo following you, though if they put you in blockstun that doesn't really matter.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Excellent runaway/keepaway potential, and even gains meter while running away thanks to forward movement and whiffed Roger specials.
- Great mobility.
- Multi-hitting DP that never leaves the ground with tons of strike invulnerability, an FRC, and damaging potential follow-ups provides a strong meterless reversal option.
- Overdrives also provide strong reversal options.
- Roger provides space control, aids defense, and more.
- Delayed get up sets up yo-yo, and may mess up with other characters okizeme.
- Has one of the easiest times of getting out of pressure.
- May have up to 4 jumps.
- Heavy Slash not having normals attached to it allows for free throw attempts while Roger is active.
- Lowest effective health in the game, with low defense value, zero Guts, and light weight leaving her vulnerable to extended combos.
- Harder to maintain pressure than with most of the cast.
- Good damage is situational.
- Low damage output and low health combine to leave very little room for error. It's easy to die, and hard to regain the life lead.
- Good movement requires FD canceling Rolling Movement, costing a small amount of meter.
- Cannot option select throw with a normal unless Roger is active, as the game considers yo-yo Set and yo-yo Recall to be special moves.
- Variety of movement options, subpar damage output, and low HP combined can make for a difficult character to pick up and learn.
- Bridget doesn't have an Heavy Slash normal; instead, the button is used to throw and recall a yo-yo in various directions that allows for a myriad of options in pressure, neutral, frame trapping, and even movement with the combined use of the Rolling Movement special.
- The following count as Yo-Yo Specials: Yo-Yo Set, Yo-Yo Callback, Roger Rush, Jagged Roger, Roger Hug, Roger Get, Rolling Movement, Me and My Killing Machine (includes all air versions of these moves).