This section is still being written. It may be wildly inaccurate or missing significant data.
Please feel free to make edits, but include edit summaries and sources where applicable.
Move fast, strike fast, think fast! Giovanna is an aggressive rushdown character who pressures opponents with fast flurries of attacks. Key to Giovanna’s offense is her unique step dash, which maintains its forward momentum even if she attacks during it. This allows her to slide forward across the ground and attack at the same time, which is useful for closing the gap when an opening presents itself.
Giovanna’s attack speed is top-class, notably, her 5P is the third fastest attack in the game. Her Slash buttons are strong pressure tools, c.S is plus on block and the multi-hitting nature of f.S and 2S makes it easy to hit-confirm these moves. Blockstrings can be ended with the risk-free Sepultura, or reset with the plus on block moves Sol Poente and Trovão. Sol Poente also hits overhead and is a cross-up at close range. Trovão pierces through projectiles, making it a decent approach option against zoning. Giovanna possesses a unique meter boost, which increases her damage output and defense when she has enough tension, allowing her to reap benefits from tension without needing to spend it.
If you want a character who is fast, aggressive, simple to play and has phenomenal fashion sense to boot, then Giovanna is for you.
|Lore:||She’s an officer in the special operations unit that protects the President of the United States.
She’s careful with her words, but still manages to come off as rude and irreverent due to her attitude. Deep down, though, she means well. She’s especially friendly with children and animals.During battle, she allows her wolf spirit companion “Rei” to possess her and amazes her opponent with inhuman speed.
|Giovanna , classified as a Rush type, uses rush-down that can break down any defense. A super-powered special forces officer for the President.|
Giovanna gains a damage buff when she reaches half Tension (~5%), and a larger buff when she reaches full Tension (~10%). This is represented graphically with Rei glowing at half power and Giovanna turning green at full power. Using a super will keep her current damage buff until the super is over, meaning a Giovanna at full meter performing Ventania will deal ~5% more damage than a Giovanna with half meter.
- Damage is listed as No Meter (Half Meter) [Full Meter].
- One of the fastest buttons in the game, second only to Chipp's 5P and Sol's 5K.
- While this can gatling into 6P, it will not combo, even on counterhit.
Gatling options: 5P, 2P, 6P, 6H
- Main juggle tool, usually links into itself.
- Good frame advantage and low pushback makes this a go-to tick throw button.
A very fast poke with decent range, made even better by the fact that cancelling into it out of a dash retains quite a lot of the dash momentum, extending its range to a little less than 1/4th screen. It's also excellent when combined with a dash stop, as you can space yourself out to avoid a throw.
Gatling options: 6P, 6H, 5D, 2D
- Causes a float state on hit.
- Plus on block.
- Dash cancelable.
- Sets up an IAD safejump if it connects on OTG.
The dash cancel on this move can lead to an immediate Blue Roman Cancel, which gives her an airtight high/low mixup on block with 5D or any of her lows. On hit both options lead to a conversion, and on block she remains plus enough to continue offense.
Gatling options: 6P, f.S, 5H, 2H, 6H, 5D, 2D
- Hits 3 times.
- Excellent anti-backdash tool due to its active frames.
- Don't whiff this.
Amazing pressure normal thanks to its great frame advantage. It along with 2S lets Giovanna easily hit confirm into a knockdown. She can also threaten a delay cancel 5H to make her opponent respect its -4 frame advantage and potentially reset pressure from there. Just please don't run up and do this, you die if it whiffs thanks to its multihit properties.
Gatling options: 5H, 2H
- Heavier poke than 5K, but has about the same lack of cancel options.
- Useful as a delay-cancel frametrap from f.S to make your opponent respect your turn.
Although its main use is in pressure, this is also an excellent poke in its own right. Gio can threaten a delay cancel into 214K as a frametrap, but her pressure ends after that.
- Results in a cinematic if charged or CH.
- Uncharged 5D is 0 on hit.
Giovanna does a split kick. It doesn't look like an overhead but it certainly hits like one. Given Giovanna's normals, it shouldn't be too hard to crank the RISC gauge and cash out with 5D.
- Good anti-air button.
Giovanna throws out a straight punch. Has head invulnerability like other 6P buttons and a good angle to stop airdashes.
- Rekka-type move with follow-ups.
- 6H puts Giovanna airborne.
- RRC off second hit leads to easy juggle combos.
Mostly relegated to combo filler as it's highly unsafe and very slow. The only normal that naturally combos into 6H is c.S, but it's much easier to combo into on an airborne opponent. Some combos will also require the follow-ups to be delayed in order to combo.
- Quick & short 2P that lets you mash out of gaps in pressure.
Gatling options: 2P, 5P, 6P, 6H
- Gio's fastest low.
Your go-to low for catching the opponent standing, such as after an empty jump. Will only combo into 214K at most ranges, but a point blank connect can be cancelled into 6P which can combo into 623S with dash momentum for slightly better damage and an easy bake frametrap. Gatling options: 6P, 6H, 5D, 2D
- Hits low twice.
- Don't whiff this.
Another great hitconfirm option. The double low tends to catch people off-guard, but in turn makes its total duration longer.
Gatling options: 5H, 2H
- Launches on air hit (I.E. chained immediately from c.S)
- Short range.
Mostly useful in Giovanna's high-damage combos as she has better anti-airs. The launch (if chained immediately from c.S) allows her to link after a 214K midscreen and combo into 236K in the corner.
- Disjointed hitbox where Rei kicks.
- Too slow to combo from 5K/2K, use 214K instead.
Great on counter-hit and allows for easy Gatling frame-traps from 5K or c.S. It's a bit too slow to consistently poke with but the disjoint can let it win in situations where other sweeps would lose.
Gatling options: j.P
- Hits on both sides.
Gatling options: j.D
Gatling options: j.H
- Hits twice.
- Standard ground throw that gives a hard knockdown, can decide to go for mixups or RC for damage
- Knocks down on ground hit, juggles on air hit.
- Long reach and safe on block.
Giovanna's primary ground combo ender. If it hits an airborne opponent, you can keep a juggle going with a microwalk 5K.
- Cancels single hit projectiles.
- Slightly plus on block.
Excellent anti-fireball tool. Doesn't quite reach fullscreen, but it will catch extended hurtboxes pretty well.
- Not invincible, but has a low hurtbox making it a great anti-air.
- Hits on both sides.
- Plus on air block. The sky is yours.
Excellent as an anti-air. Even though it's -15 on a grounded opponent, the 19 frame landing recovery means she will almost always be plus. Instant Block does negate the landing recovery but it's highly unlikely that will happen.
214S (Air OK)
- Low crush.
- Plus on block.
- Hits on both sides, can cross up if done close.
- Air version has same animation but places a sigil for Giovanna to move from.
- There are two hitboxes with the first one being behind gio with 4 frame startup
Surprisingly good as a pressure reset, but should be used sparingly due to its 30 frame startup. The first hit has some niche uses for converting a high crossup j.K into an otherwise impossible knockdown.
- Invincible on startup.
- Benefits from the 50% meter bonus if Giovanna uses it with full meter.
Giovanna's only real reversal.
- Combos from c.S if you Tiger Knee the super.
The anti-anti air. Plus on block should you not hit your opponent with it. On hit, it locks you into a cinematic.
|To edit frame data, edit values in GGST/Giovanna/Data.|
Click [★] for character's full frame data