Walking (Hold or )
- Walking is the most basic movement option in your arsenal.
All characters can walk by holding a forward or backwards direction. Walking does not see much use compared to dashes or runs, as dash is generally faster and more convenient in approach situations. There are several situations where walking shines, though, such as in baiting and whiff-punishing moves or in spacing attacks during combos and pressure. One other benefit of walking over running is that walking can be meterlessly cancelled into blocking, while running requires you to either stop and skid to a halt before being able to block, or spend meter to FD Break.
Forward Dashing ( or + Dash)
- This only covers traditional dashes; command dashes belong to the Special category.
- Forward dashing moves your character forward faster and more effectively compared to walking. By holding forward after the dash input, most characters can go into a run which they can extend indefinitely. However, Leo and Giovanna can only step a fixed distance forward, and Nagoriyuki and Potemkin have no forward dash at all.
Backdash ( or + Dash)
- Backdashing makes your character step away from the opponent.
Backdash is available to all characters, including Nagoriyuki and Potemkin. It has some invulnerability on startup, which can help you evade opponent's attacks. Be careful when using it, though, as moves with enough active frames can still hit you once the invulnerable part of the backdash ends.
Most characters only have 1 air option: you can either double jump or air dash, but you cannot do both. There are exceptions, however:
- Nagoriyuki has no air option whatsoever.
- Potemkin can only double jump; he cannot air dash.
- Millia and Chipp have 2 air options, but with their own restrictions: Millia can only air dash twice or air dash after a double jump; Chipp can only triple jump or jump after an air dash.
Jumping (any upward direction)
- Jumping is the primary air movement of all characters.
All characters except for Nagoriyuki can jump again in the air by inputing any upward direction during a jump. Its horizontal velocity increases depending on the forward dash momentum on the ground. Some normals and/or specials can be jump cancelled on hit or block.
High Jump (Super Jump) (any downward direction then any upward direction)
- High jumping behaves the same as a regular jump, but with increased velocities.
After a High Jump, you can airdash, but not double jump.
- Your mean of approaching or avoiding the opponent faster in the air.
- Backward Air Dash is instaneous, and that's about it.
- Forward Air Dash will propel the character forward after a short lag, and depending on where you hit a button, the character will fall in different places on the screen.
Instant Air Dash
Instant Air Dash is a method of airdashing as soon as one leaves the ground. It is useful for air dashing over projectiles and covering ground quickly from the air.
Regaining Air Options
Ground and Air Recovery
- Gatling is done by pressing a normal move's command after another.
Depending on which move is hitting the opponent, you are able to cancel to different types of normals. There can be character-specific variations, but the general rule goes as follows:
- Executing a special move's command after a special-cancellable move makes contact with the opponent will result in a Special Cancel.
Most normals can be special cancelled. Nagoriyuki can also cancel a special into another as well, although it will raise his Blood Gauge.
- Inputting the jumping input after a jump-cancellable move contacts the opponent will result in a Jump Cancel.
On the ground, all characters' 5K and c.S can be jump-cancelled. In the air, all characters' j.K and most characters' j.D can.
- When you input a forward dash after a dash-cancellable move connects with the opponent, you will get a Dash Cancel.
On the ground, few moves have this property. So far, there are May and Giovanna's c.S (Is all c.S dash-cancellable? Need clarifying) and the first hit of Ramlethal's Erarlumo (214P). In the air, all j.K and j.S, and some j.H and j.D are. Potemkin and Nagoriyuki cannot dash cancel, as they do not have a traditional forward dash or airdash.
Click [★] for character's full frame data