A suave, cool ladies man and captain of the Jellyfish Pirates, Johnny makes his return in Revelator.
Johnny is an iaido style swordsman who completely dominates the neutral and offense game thanks to his famous Mist Finer stance (214P/K/S). His pokes are among the best in the entire game when utilizing his Mist Stance cancels (H to exit stance) which can also be made faster by landing some of the 8 coins that he naturally starts each match with. Any coin that hits an opponent completely buffs each version of his Mist Finers (up to level 3) which in turn gives them deadly properties for combos as well as making them faster all together, ultimately shortening the recovery of his base attacks and granting him incredible pressure on offense. Johnny's above average execution combined with his movement options can certainly seem daunting to inexperienced players, but in the right hands, he's one of the most dangerous and threatening characters to face. Finally, Johnny also wears sunglasses, a hat AND is voiced by Norio Wakamoto, which clearly makes him the coolest character in the game.
Johnny is an iaido style swordsman who completely dominates the neutral and offense game thanks to his famous Mist Finer stance.
- High Damage Meterless Conversions: Johnny has the best meterless conversion potential in the game thanks to Mist Finer.
- Great Pokes: Johnny's pokes, such as f.S, 5K, 2S, and Mist Finer are some of the best pokes in the game, and the normals can be made safer thanks to Mist Finer Cancel or Levels.
- Counter Zoning: Johnny is able to beat many projectiles thanks to Mist Finer's ability to hit through projectiles.
- Snowball Potential: Johnny is able to pick up momentum well by ending combos with level 3 Mist Finer prepared which allows him to more easily win the next interaction.
- Burst Safe on Most Combos: Thanks to Mist Finer Cancel, Johnny is frequently able to make his combos burst safe.
- Great uses of Meter: Johnny has a great Dead Angle Attack, Zweihander YRC, and excellent supers such as That's My Name.
- High Effective Health
- Unblockable Setups
- Limited Mobility: Johnny has a step rather than a run, and a slow airdash velocity which means that his mobility is more limited than most characters. Additionally, Johnny's step dash is not immediately cancelable into FD or normals which makes it a commitment.
- Long Whiff Recovery: Many of Johnny's Normals have long recovery times when whiffed.
Note: Johnny is a character with a meaningful execution barrier. In order to utilize the full depth of the character a player must commit to practicing their ability to input difficult techniques consistently.
Johnny has a unique resource in the form of coins.
The number of coins that Johnny has is displayed above his tension meter. Johnny starts every round with 8 coins and does not get more coins until the start of the next round, or until he successfully hits the enemy with Treasure Hunt. Every time Johnny uses his Glitter Is Gold special, he throws one coin, which is subtracted from his remaining coin total. When Johnny has 0 coins remaining, he is unable to use Glitter Is Gold. When a coin hits the enemy, Johnny's Mist Finer special will level up to a maximum of Level 3, from a starting level of Level 1. Hitting an enemy with a coin when Johnny has level 3 Mist Finer will still do damage, but will not level up Mist Finer further. Whenever Mist Finer is used, Mist Finer will return to Level 1, and can be leveled up again.