Combo Rate: 60%
Backdash Time: 26
Backdash Invincibility: 1-6
Movement Options: 1 Double Jump/Airdash, Dash type: Run
P-1 Climax Nickname: "The Bloodcurdling Beefcake Emperor!"
Arcana: The Emperor
Kanji Tatsumi is known to the town of Inaba as a punk due to his short temper and his fight with a local biker gang, even though he is truly kind-hearted and enjoys sewing as a hobby. In Persona 4: Arena Ultimax, Kanji crushes opponents with his trusty chair and his Persona.
- Japanese Name: 巽 完二 （たつみ かんじ）
- Japanese Wiki
- Japanese BBS
- Arcade Profile Dan Rankings
- Character Video Thread
- Solid 5A. Can't be low profiled in any way, great horizontal range, only 1f slower than being tied for fastest 5A.
- Kanji's new 5AA is a great addition to his arsenal-While it does lack the vertical hitbox of his old 5AA and is more negative on block than it, the fact it moves him forward ensures he won't be too far away to confirm on a grounded opponent, and leaves him at the perfect spacing to use other normals for frametraps or his grab to open them up.
- Kanji's new 5AAA is an incredible improvement over his old one-While risky to use as a frametrap, the option is there, and thanks to the movement of 5AA you can confirm into this after almost every major combo route, ensuring you get meter and burst bonus at the end of your combo and still get a hard knockdown from j.214A.
- Kanji's autocombo from P4A. All of the same traits apply here, though they aren't as great for tick throwing anymore due to the change in Kanji's 214C. Do note, the proration on 5AAA has been improved since the original, allowing for better damage.
- Kanji's 5B is a projectile attack with no hurtbox that hits both in front of him and behind him, with relatively good numbers on block for setting up mixup. New to P4U2 1.1, it is now special cancelable as well. Partially charging it will result in it being 0 on block, and full charging leaves you at +2, allowing you to stop the opponent from mashing on you quite easily.
- Can cancel projectiles on hit
- Causes spinstate on CH, causes spinstate on hit if charged
- Kanji's fastest recovering normal. Useful for meaties and for stopping the opponent from trying to upback during pressure strings. However, if people are hopping to avoid Kanji's grabs, then 2A will whiff, making it a weaker choice as a meaty.
- Dash Cancel is -16 on block
Kanji's slow, but high damage 2B. It can be difficult to anti air using this move due to it's speed, but on CH it can combo into 5C leading to high damage, and now has the ability to be dash canceled, even on block. 2b > 5b whiff is one way to safely confirm whether your 2B anti aired in time or not.
- Kanji's j.b is a fantastic poke, having a huge hitbox with very little hurtbox inside of it, but due to the speed of the move it loses to air to air j.as or reactionary rising j.as quite easily. Thanks to the addition of j.236A/B, you can now poke with the very tip of this attack and jump in afterwards to pressure the opponent.
- Kanji's sweep is the only one in the game currently without chest attribute invuln on it, but has gained new use in combo routes due to allowing for 236B followups when hitting an airborne opponent in Fatal combos. Low profiles during recovery.
|1200 (1800)||HLA||25 (64)||3||29||-8||Body|
- Kanji's 5C is a large, horizontal swing attack. Do note, the attack does not hit any higher than Kanji's head, allowing for the opponent to airdash over it. No longer causes Fatal Counter unless charged until the last frame, but will still combo to 236AB or 2C on CH.
- Now has a forward dash cancel, and allows for a 2D chain on hit or block. Dash Cancel is -11 on block
- Paralyzes on hit or block.
|1200 (1800)||HLA||31 (64)||2||11||+6||Foot|
- Dash Cancel is -16 on block
Kanji's 2C is a large, sweeping swipe from his Persona with very little recovery. Incredibly plus on block, it puts you at Kanji's mercy in terms of mixup, and is now one of his two primary Fatal Counter starters. Is foot attribute, allowing for characters to hop over it. Moves his persona forward slightly, giving 5C slightly extra range afterwards.
|1200||HLA||25||5||Until landing + 8||-||Body|
- Kanji's primary anti-anti air, causing Fatal Counter on counterhit. Now has Fatal Recovery while landing. Now has an addition hitbox on the inner fist, making it easier for Kanji to anti-anti air people. Slightly slower on startup, preventing him from counterhitting people as he starts to jump.
- Kanji's D button makes Takemikazuchi appear and shoot lightning at one of 3 pre-set locations. 2D being the closest, and j.D being the furthest. Can fire up to 4 bolts total, shocks on hit. No longer has projectile invuln during the lightning strikes.
- Kanji lunges forward a fair distance before grabbing the opponent. It is slower than other characters' throws and Kanji's C command grab, but has range comparable his D command grab without being terribly risky.
- This move will always throw the opponent behind Kanji's current position.
- Combos into A Additional Cruel Attack. In the corner, you can add a sweep before the Additional Cruel Attack.
- Kanji's DP is a guardpoint attack that will shock any attack the opponent makes from any distance, as long as the attack is not 100% disjointed from the character. In this case, rather than the traditional 'disjointed hitbox' meaning of the term, we're talking 'the attack has to be stored in a separate file from the character', ala Persona Attacks, in order to not cause the shock.
- Causes shock on hit.
- Fatal Recovery
6A+B while blocking
236A/B (air OK)
|A ground||500, 250||HLA||17||3, 6||37||-3||Head, Body|
|B ground||1200, 600||HLA||27||6, 6||33||+1||Head, Body|
|SB ground||1200, 600||HLA||26||6, 6||33||+1||Head, Body|
|A air||500, 250||HLA||17||3, 6||Until landing +6||+1||Head, Body|
|B air||900, 450||HLA||24||6, 6||Until Landing +6||+1||Head, Body|
|SB air||900, 450||HLA||24||6, 6||Until landing +6||+1||Head, Body|
- 236A is a poke that can potentially hop over hitboxes to force crouch, and give a 5AA 2B 236C combo on counterhit. Not very useful otherwise.
- 236B is a pressure reset move that causes massive damage in combos, but will jack up the proration quite quickly with multiple uses. Can be canceled into j.214A/B/AB on startup.
- 236AB is a long, horizontal hop that is plus on block, which does not share same move proration wtih 236B, and can be canceled into j.214A/B/AB for a different angle than 236B~j.214A/B/AB
- j.236A/B/AB are new to P4U2, Kanji leaps forward with his chair similar to the ground version. Button determines distance, all of them are plus on block. Be careful not to whiff, however!
Added Cruel Attack
236A/B after knockdown
|A||1000 (1500)||HLA||27||6||47 (33)||-||Body|
- 236A is a knockdown followup that deals a minimum of 200 damage while setting Kanji up next to the opponent for more mixup.
- 236B is a new mechanic given to Kanji in P4U2, which will allow him to deal high damage while allowing for a combo continuation afterwards. Generally only used after Fatal Grab or a sweep hitting an airborne opponent in a Fatal combo.
- 236AB is a variation of 236A with higher minimum damage (450) and faster recovery, allowing for punishing notechs.
- Values in ( ) are for SB Version.
|C||0, 250, 3800, 100, 50x5 (0, 250)||Throw||5||4||31||-||Throw|
|D||0, 250, 4300, 100, 50x5 (Pbroken: 0, 250)||Throw||24 ||4||39||-||Throw|
|SB||0, 250, 4800, 100, 50x5 (0, 250)||Throw||4||4||31||-||Throw|
- 214C is Kanji's bread and butter command grab, launching the opponent across the screen, setting up for 5D oki or a 236A followup. Fast, but no invuln.
- 214D is Kanji's slower, invuln command grab. Is only invuln from frame 2 onwards, preventing it from being used on wakeup, but deals more damage in return. Can increase range of 214D by holding forward, but this slows the startup down.
- 214CD is Kanji's fastest grab, with 1-4 throw invuln and 3-4 full invuln, allowing Kanji to grab the opponent through their attacks. Causes Shock on hit, and deals the highest damage.
- All 3 grabs can be followed up with 236B if Fatal Counter.
- All 3 grabs can now be used while Persona broken, throwing the opponent across the screen for around 200 damage.
|C||0, 360, 180x8 (1800)||Throw||14||11||16||-||Throw|
|D||0, 280, 140x8 (1400)||Throw||73||18||31||-||Throw|
|SB||0, 280, 140x8 (1400)||Throw||117||16||27||-||Throw|
- 236C is one of Kanji's fastest anti airs, with an improved angle from P4U1. Is more advantageous the higher in the air the opponent is, allowing for 5AAAA combos afterwards if the opponent is launched high enough in a corner combo.
- 236D sets Kanji's persona down, and after a long startup, it will leap out and grab at the opponent if they jump. Not very useful, but can catch opponents while superjumping. Loses to opponents double jumping or backdashing during their jump, generally.
- 236CD is a much faster version of 236D, tracking the opponent much earlier but cannot catch any superjumping opponent. Great for catching moves like Mitsuru j.C or Liz J.B however.
- Kanji's new Persona tackle. Kanji will cross his arms and pose while Takemikazuchi appears and tackles across the screen with full projectile armor. Very plus on block, this is intended to plow through certain projectile attacks and set up pressure.
- Can be 5A'd on reaction by most characters.
- Any Takemikazuchi attacks barring 5/2/j.D will make him attack from where he is on the screen rather than Kanji's location.
- Causes wallslam on CH.
- Button determines distance traveled and startup.
Note, there is some sort of input glitch revolving around this move, where you will get this instead of 214C when trying to grab the opponent.
Bet Ya Can't Take This!
|A||0, 400x2, 800||Throw||26||until landing||20 after landing||-||Throw, Head|
|B||0, 250x4, 800 (1800)||Throw||27||until landing||20 after landing||-||Throw, Head|
|SB||0, 100x7, 250x2, 800 (2000)||Throw||19||until landing||20 after landing||-||Throw, Head|
- Kanji's infamous air dive. One or two frames slower than in P4U1, this move is unblockable and invincible to throws, but can be crouched and punished easily on reaction.
Ass Whoopin', Tatsumi-Style
|SB||700, 800, 1600 (300)||HLA||4+7||until it hits||61||-||Projectile|
- Kanji's autocombo super, will either throw a chair at a distance or go into a 3 hit combo if the opponent is close enough. OMCing at the second hit allows you to combo into his grab or his supergrab.
- Fantastic damage and relatively good p1/p2 scaling, allowing for heavily damaging combos afterwards.
- Chair will fall ~60 frames after the attack ends.
- 236236AB will cause wallslams between both walls, similar to Naoto's reversal kick, allowing for Kanji to combo 236C or 5C afterwards.
- 236236AB causes High minimum damage.
Awakened SP Skill Attacks
|C||0, 1, 0, 1200, 6000 (0, 1, 700, 800x2 (300))||Throw||6+0||9||44||-||Throw|
|D||0, 1, 0, 1200, 6000 (0, 1, 700, 800x2 (300))||Throw||6+10||15||44||-||Throw|
|SB||0, 1, 0, 1200, 7965 (0, 1, 700, 800, 1600 (300))||Throw||6+13||15||44||-||Throw|
- Kanji's supergrab, he only has access to this in Awakening. Slams the opponent into the corner from anywhere on screen. Can potentially be followed up based on screen positioning.
- C version is a fast, invuln supergrab, slightly slower than his 214C.
- D version has longer startup, longer invuln and goes further than 214214C.
- SB version does an additional thousand damage over the other two variations, while being the slowest version of all 3 grabs. Moves further forward similarly to 214214D.
- If Kanji is Persona Broken, he can still use Burn to a Crisp. If the opponent is grabbed, instead of the normal animation, Kanji will perform a special version of Ass Whoopin', Tatsumi-Style.
Kanji walks towards his opponent and attempts to grab them. If it lands, he launches the opponent upwards where his persona throws a lightning bolt from above. The screen cuts to both Kanji and his persona preparing to punch the opponent from both sides, and the entire screen is flashed with white light and thunder-shocks the moment of impact. Unlike most other instant kills, Kanji actually moves during the animation. It's still an instant kill though, so unless you visualize the other player like a textbook, it isn't going to be that practical.
- This move is invulnerable through frames 1-78, so practically the whole thing up until the recovery. It can be used to walk through other SP skills with lengthy recoveries.
|To edit frame data, edit values in P4AU/Kanji Tatsumi/Data.|
- Akihiko Sanada[★]
- Chie Satonaka[★]
- Junpei Iori[★]
- Kanji Tatsumi[★]
- Ken Amada[★]
- Mitsuru Kirijo[★]
- Naoto Shirogane[★]
- Rise Kujikawa[★]
- Shadow Labrys[★]
- SHO Minazuki[★]
- Sho MINAZUKI[★]
- Tohru Adachi[★]
- Yosuke Hanamura[★]
- Yu Narukami[★]
- Yukari Takeba[★]
- Yukiko Amagi[★]
Click [★] for character's full frame data