Tiger Knee (abbreviated to TK) is the act of doing an air special attack immediately after jumping. This technique got its name from Sagat's Tiger Knee attack in Street Fighter 2, which was .
The idea is to:
- buffer the motion for the special attack while on the ground
- input jump after the motion
- once airborne, immediately press the button
This can be applied to any air special/super attack and allows players to do an air special almost as if there were a ground version!
- Baiken's Youzan Sen (). Inputted as ~
- Youzan Sen is an overhead, and gives Baiken access to a fast overhead attack
- I-No's Ultimate Fortissimo (air ). Inputted as ~
- Ultimate Fortissimo grants a lot of frame advantage on block, thus allowing I-No more time to do mixups
- Nu's Crescent Saber (). Inputtted as ~
- Crescent Saber is an overhead, and greatly improves Nu's mixup game.
In these examples the goal is to input a jump after inputting the motion for the special move, then press the button shortly after.
Some air attacks require that you be at least a certain height off the ground before the attack can be used (referred to as minimum height). A common example of this is Ky's Air Stun Edge. In cases like this, you will need to delay your button press so you can gain more altitude first.
Inputting the Jump
It should be noted that the jump motion doesn't have to be inputted at the end of the move! For example, to TK a motion, you can do !
A Prejump Cancel is canceling the grounded startup animation of a jump into a ground special attack. While not exactly the same as a Tiger Knee, this can be done using the same motion as one with slight differences - namely that you need to time the button press to to happen during the jump's ground startup, which is a much smaller window of time compared to normal TK attacks.
An example of this is Susano'o Dancing Dual Kick (236B). The final hit is jump cancelable, which can let you cancel into ground special moves by using this technique. So to cancel into a second Dancing Dual Kick, do right when the final hit of the first one happens, then press during the jump startup. Another way to do this is to input a jump, then the motion so .