Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

little trivial question...

If you have the choice between two combos that do the same damage...but one is an extra hit...does the one with the extra hit give you more tension than the other one?

examples:

anji: K,S, HS, S Fujin, Nagiha(5 hits) or S, HS, S Fujin, Nagiha(4 hits)

zappa: CH 6P, 2HS, JC, jp jS, 9, jS jD(6 hits) or CH 6P, 2HS, JC, jS, 9, jS jD(5 hits)

Obviously for the anji combo the starter is different and for the zappa one both of those don't work on all characters so the more reliable one would be preferable.

I'm just asking if there is any extra tension gain.

special moves have different tension gain, a good example is anji's [Guard] P which is like 40% tension gain. not to mention you listed a not universal combo, so the tension gain would be different anyway based on normal move hits.

In general you have to connect an attack in gg in order to cancel it, but there might be exceptions, I'm not sure.

PsiPhi, meet my friend FDC. Kara-cancelling is generally used to mean cancelling the startup frames of a move into something else.

Fenrir:

That's not the same deal as kara-cancelling as it's generally understood, and even if it was you'd be wrong- there are several moves with extensions/followups that can be done regardless of whether the starter hit or not-

ABA 236S > 46S > 63214S, Chipp 236S > 236S > 236K and 236S > 236K, Sol 623S/H > 214K, Potemkin 632146H > 4123641236P, Axl [4]6S > 2/8 and 623H > 623H > 63214S, etc. etc.

Like Anji's Fuujin > followup, those aren't really kara-cancels though, so much as move chains that work independantly of whether they connect or not.

I know special moves moves have different tension gain. Let me edit it...

to make it more simple lets just say I wanna do...

K S S H or S S H(Character doesn't matter...pretend that there is only one character in this game)

pretending they do the same damage....does the first one give more tension?

I know special moves moves have different tension gain. Let me edit it...

to make it more simple lets just say I wanna do...

K S S H or S S H(Character doesn't matter...pretend that there is only one character in this game)

pretending they do the same damage....does the first one give more tension?

unless i've got it backwards, yes, a move's TG (Tension Gain) does not vary depending on the beat counter's number or damage or anything like that -- it is a fixed percentage of the overall tension bar (or at least, that's how the frame data reads).

just look at Anji's frame data:

5K Tension Gain = 1.4

5Sc '' '' = 3.8

5Sf '' '' = 2.6

5HS '' '' = 3.8

Add it up, per combo, and that's your overall tension gain. (again, as far as i can tell.)

So would landing from a high-recovery air move to cancel it out be considered Kara-cancelling? For instance sometimes if I do Ensenga too close to the ground, the fire comes out but the move does not and I land and cancel everything.

EDIT: That's really rare though, usually what happens is he yells Ensenga but just lands. Same with air Tatami sometimes with Baiken.

So would landing from a high-recovery air move to cancel it out be considered Kara-cancelling? For instance sometimes if I do Ensenga too close to the ground, the fire comes out but the move does not and I land and cancel everything.

EDIT: That's really rare though, usually what happens is he yells Ensenga but just lands. Same with air Tatami sometimes with Baiken.

From the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection Guide:

"A Japanese term that means 'empty cancel.' It is used to describe a situation in which you cancel out a normal attack into a special move before even seeing the normal attack come out. Usually used to gain extra range on special attacks, such as throws."

So no, that isn't an example of a kara cancel. Well at least by 3s terminology.

So Kara Cancels aren't really that prominent in GG I take it?

Yeah, I think fdc is about as close to a kara cancel as you are going to get in gg. They are really common in 3s. SF2 has some psudo kara cancel type stuff like rekka cancels. But as far as I know 3s is the only game that uses a lot of kara cancels at the high level.

Hidden

Okay I have a series of stupid questions that pertain to Potemkin and have recently been a topic of "concern" when playing at my local GGXX/ get together with friends.

Most/all of these questions have been answered in the Potemkin character forum, but the answers have been deemed null and void by my peers as they consider the information there biased and provided by unreliable people. To make the point clear as to what I'm dealing with, once while trying to counter a statement with information posted by Gwyrgyn Blood I was given the response of, "Who the fuck is Gwyrgyn Blood and who the fuck cares as to what he has to say about this game?"

Sigh...

So here are my stupid questions and my reasons for asking them:

1.)Axl vs. Potemkin, who's favored in this matchup?

Reason for asking: Friends acknowledge Axl vs. Pot is considered to be a 5/5 matchup in #R. Adamantly believes Axl vs. Pot is still a 5/5, or is even a 3/7 matchup in Pots favor in SLASH. No need to go into depth on this one, just post what you consider to be the generally accepted win ratio for this matchup in SLASH.

2.) When Potemkin connects Gigantor should I ALWAYS perform the HCF,HCF +P follow up?

Reason for asking: When landing a Gigantor on my opponent instead of performing the HCF,HCF+P follow up I instead follow up with a Pot Buster or a F+HS (if out of reach). The minute I do this the word "scrub" automatically flys across the room and I'm instantly informed that I should ALWAYS follow up Gigantor with it's official follow up. My reason for NOT performing that specific follow up is because I'm under the impression that anyone with the ability to do slip level 1/2 can block and punish it no problem and that I should ONLY perform the HCF,HCF+P follow up if I see Gigantor dizzy the opponent. Who's right?

3.) Was Potemkin beefed up in GGXX/?

Reason for asking: I'm relatively new to the GG series (SLASH is the first game in the series I've taken seriously) while my friends have played both XX and #R on a semi-competitive level. They swear up and down that SLASH Potemkin is beefed up when compared to previous incarnations, I on the other hand think other wise as I have heard more than once that his mid-screen game was toned down quite a bit thus affecting his game.

Again I know these are stupid questions that have already been answered, but if I could get some second opinions OUTSIDE of the Potemkin forums I think my friends would better respond to the information. I just want to put the whole discussion to rest as the shits getting old and I'm sick of discussing it every time I get together and play.

Also, if kugler could voice his opinion (or at least verify what people have had to say on the Pot forums) on these 3 questions that'd be fantastic as his word is considered canon law when it comes to the GG games amongst my friends.

Thanks in advance.

Okay I have a series of stupid questions that pertain to Potemkin and have recently been a topic of "concern" when playing at my local GGXX/ get together with friends.

Most/all of these questions have been answered in the Potemkin character forum, but the answers have been deemed null and void by my peers as they consider the information there biased and provided by unreliable people. To make the point clear as to what I'm dealing with, once while trying to counter a statement with information posted by Gwyrgyn Blood I was given the response of, "Who the fuck is Gwyrgyn Blood and who the fuck cares as to what he has to say about this game?"

Sigh...

So here are my stupid questions and my reasons for asking them:

Reason for asking: Friends acknowledge Axl vs. Pot is considered to be a 5/5 matchup in #R. Adamantly believes Axl vs. Pot is still a 5/5, or is even a 3/7 matchup in Pots favor in SLASH. No need to go into depth on this one, just post what you consider to be the generally accepted win ratio for this matchup in SLASH.

2.) When Potemkin connects Gigantor should I ALWAYS perform the HCF,HCF +P follow up?

Reason for asking: When landing a Gigantor on my opponent instead of performing the HCF,HCF+P follow up I instead follow up with a Pot Buster or a F+HS (if out of reach). The minute I do this the word "scrub" automatically flys across the room and I'm instantly informed that I should ALWAYS follow up Gigantor with it's official follow up. My reason for NOT performing that specific follow up is because I'm under the impression that anyone with the ability to do slip level 1/2 can block and punish it no problem and that I should ONLY perform the HCF,HCF+P follow up if I see Gigantor dizzy the opponent. Who's right?

Reason for asking: I'm relatively new to the GG series (SLASH is the first game in the series I've taken seriously) while my friends have played both XX and #R on a semi-competitive level. They swear up and down that SLASH Potemkin is beefed up when compared to previous incarnations, I on the other hand think other wise as I have heard more than once that his mid-screen game was toned down quite a bit thus affecting his game.

Again I know these are stupid questions that have already been answered, but if I could get some second opinions OUTSIDE of the Potemkin forums I think my friends would better respond to the information. I just want to put the whole discussion to rest as the shits getting old and I'm sick of discussing it every time I get together and play.

Also, if kugler could voice his opinion (or at least verify what people have had to say on the Pot forums) on these 3 questions that'd be fantastic as his word is considered canon law when it comes to the GG games amongst my friends.

Thanks in advance.

1.) Check Pot matchup thread. There is a bunch of stuff on that.

2.) Eh, it really depends on the situation and how good your opponent is at mashing. The bullet is good for stun combos though.

3.) He is pretty much the same but most of his bad match-ups are gone or at least a lot better. 6P looks like it is the shit.

gwyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyelabplzkthxbai~~~

Well you don't care about me but I'll tell you what you want to hear anyway.

1) 5/5 in #Reload. No official numbers from Slash but I personally consider it 6/4 in Axl's favor now. Axl got a new air move and a better j.6P. He's got better tension gaining and his damage output and poke games are as good (if not better) than ever. Potemkin lost his ability to do a midscreen PB, S Heat. This was one of the few things giving Pote a chance in #R. Now that he doesn't have it, his damage output goes from 50-75% on a midscreen PB to something more like 25-30%. Now it's pretty much the same matchup as before, but with slight differences other than that less damage at mid screen thing.

2) No. On the ground, definitely not. Shake out of Giganter is pretty hard, but anyone determined can do it. When they do it, you eat damage. I'm pretty sure 6H is even easier to shake out of, but it's much safer.. 2K 2D would be the safest option.

Against someone you catch in the air... you want to do the bullet any time you can combo after it. Any time when you aren't facing into a corner is a good time. When you are in the corner, you can usually do something better or for more stun.

3) Yes and no. His S.f sucks more now, but not a huge loss other than the free combos on Axl/May/Justice. Losing the usefulness of his 6K sucks. The benefit of the move before was that it could beat out a lot of things, such as half of anything Slayer could do, Jam's Burst Rushes, the list goes on. Judge Gaunt is a pretty shitty move overall but it has some uses here and there. Doesn't really help him that much because it's just too damn slow.

Of course, the improved 6P pretty much makes up for any loses he had. It really is that good. CH 6P leads to... uh... a lot of damage, even at mid screen, even if they were on the ground.

His matchups didn't change that much. Bridget V Pote is pretty much the same, if not slightly better for bridget now that he has an unblockable. VS Dizzy is better for Pote now.

Well you don't care about me but I'll tell you what you want to hear anyway.

Thanks for your input Gwyrgyn Blood. I personally appreciate all the information you have shared here and on the Potemkin forums and consider you a reliable source of information, sadly the people I play with are rather biased/closed minded and think other wise.

Shrug personaly when I played potemkin, only time I would ever do follow up from that freeze move, would be say, anti air f+p, hcb,f+hs,hcfX2+p, hs, heat grab type combos shrug....

Also on the ground personaly I find in slash, its easier to get that automatic no stagger bug thing in genral so yea... I wouldnt ever see the point of doing it on the ground shuuuUuuuUUUUUUuuuuuGGggggggggggGgg....

Really stupid question.

How do you turn on teching in Slash training mode? I had the opponent set to "neutral" tech, and theres a thing below it that says "frame" and goes up to 32. I set it at 1 and 32 and neither of them made my opponent tech, is there anythign else I have to set?

Set it to 0. It's actually the frame delay before teching.

And set it to forward or back. There's additional delay before neutral.

Moves have a natural tech value and it decreases as you hit the other person more (which is why people can tech out of long air combos and stuff). The thing is, the tech value decreases faster on front/back than it does on neutral. Neutral teching is never longer than the default tech value AFAIK.

So yeah, you can tech faster on front/back than neutral for the most part, so set it to tech one of those ways.

If there's one concept I'm familiar with in all fighting games, it is block and punish. My question is this: Am I correct in thinking that block and punish is really a central aspect of gameplay in GG? I usually find myself blocking my opponent's pressure strings/mixups. The few times I manage to successfully block my opponent's offensive I cannot retaliate. This is especially true when I play against characters that like to end pressure strings with a projectile (Venom, Johnny, Ky, Dizzy, Axl, Sol, etc.). Pushback is either too great to throw/counter with a string of my own, or a projectile is coming at me that I must block. I feel as I am doomed to block the entire match, but I know this just cannot be the case. Surely I should be rewarded with blocking the opponent's pressure strings. I don't know. I must be missing something. Some integral concept I am not grasping. Forgive me if my question is too broad or abstract.

It usually depends on the character. You have to know which moves you can counter, because most times people will go for straight up corner lockdown (which varies from character to character) and do the best they can to close up any holes in their pressure. You just gotta find those holes and the best ways to exploit them. Also, attacking after a block string isn't always the best option, you sometimes would want to get your ass out of the corner first and gain some neutral ground and see where you can go from there. Also, people aren't just gonna sit there and make it more of a "take turns attacking" style of play, so beat out attacks, parry then, autoguard them, Hammerfall through them, throw them, whatever suits your fancy. If your intent on punishing after a blockstring find places where you can IB (instant block), it allows you to retaliate sooner than regular guard. Or just play Sol and VV through everything.

As for MY question, how to you select SP colors you've unlocked in Survival mode?

Sign in to follow this