Sign in to follow this  
Don Pachi

Online Timing

Yeah but it's bad advice even for online. Who wants to play in shitty lag or win because it was so laggy their opponent couldn't do anything. If it's that laggy then your tactics won't matter.

The advise is for playing online which is the thread topic. The advise was clearly to make the online experience run smooth as possible

And then we went into another topic and began discussing that because that's what happens in a discussion. This really isn't hard.

As far as I see it, at best you can use online as a way to divorce your ability to do combos from reliance on visual-audio cues, lol.

Which may or may not be important depending on how many laggy HDTV's you randomly get forced to play on.

Actually yeah. Really stupid but there are people who are so anti-social that they prefer to just do that to avoid contact with real people.

actually I'm very anitsocial and I still prefer real people...... it's just that everyone I play sucks.

only scrubs prefer online.

Um...actually it has nothing to do with that. Unlike people who seem to think friends playing BlazBlue grow on TREES, there are people who not only don't have a scene *oh god the horror*, but also don't exactly have the means of meeting up with people because they don't own a car or a plane or a decent pair of extremely long distance hiking boots and camping equipment.

I'm talking about that poor single guy who lives in Austrailia whose *scene* is a bunch of Aboriginee Shamen who think his PS3 is haunted by spirits. Poor guy.

I'm talking about those lone Canadians out in the backwoods who have to cross the border for any competition. I'm also talking about that guy in Alaska who eats seal blubber every so often while playing.

It's not an ISSUE of preference. Some people have no CHOICE.

Exactly. It's an entirely different game offline with real people, just like being able to practice the game is entirely different from playing right off the bat.

That was sarcasm you nit-wit. You can't possibly expect such an obvious statement to be of any value except to poke fun.

Um...actually it has nothing to do with that. Unlike people who seem to think friends playing BlazBlue grow on TREES, there are people who not only don't have a scene *oh god the horror*, but also don't exactly have the means of meeting up with people because they don't own a car or a plane or a decent pair of extremely long distance hiking boots and camping equipment.

I'm talking about that poor single guy who lives in Austrailia whose *scene* is a bunch of Aboriginee Shamen who think his PS3 is haunted by spirits. Poor guy.

I'm talking about those lone Canadians out in the backwoods who have to cross the border for any competition. I'm also talking about that guy in Alaska who eats seal blubber every so often while playing.

It's not an ISSUE of preference. Some people have no CHOICE.

This, because Cake seems its oh so easy to play people offline, maybe he should come over to Maine and play. You know, Maine, the state with 5 million cabinets and players and is vastly more popular than California.

You can't honestly go around telling people that they're scrubs because they prefer to play online rather than drive 8 hours to the closest BB Cabinet, another state, or start a school and train up BB players.

"How to play online?"

"HURR DURR ONLINE?! WHY DON'T YOU DRIVE 5 HOURS AND PLAY SOMEONE OFFLINE?!"

"Because I have a job/school/no car/unfeasible."

"LOL SCRUB"

/thread

Offline people need to chill out.

Online people need to stop being so defensive.

this....

also online isn't as bad as people make it out, it's not like there's like 5 seconds of lag, a good connection is decent for training, but by the same token offline is better for learning, if only for the reliability.

Buy everyone corporate quality internet connections.

Profit from being practically offline online.

Problem solved.

No.

Corporate internet connections won't fix anything until they fix the netcode for this game. Nice try though~.

Yes, offline is a better experience in terms of lag and the social aspect.

But offline you can play at home, where some people are more comfortable (especially in terms of whatever you use as a controller)

What the fuck is the point of this argument? Gaming medium tier status? =.=

No.

Corporate internet connections won't fix anything until they fix the netcode for this game. Nice try though~.

Oh well theres the problem, fix netcode, problem solved.

Oh well theres the problem, fix netcode, problem solved.

Netplay still pales in comparison to the experience you get playing offline.

Not that i'm the best example, but a couple weeks ago i attended and Anime con and got a chance to play Blazblue offline for 5-6 hours straight against both good and bad people. After I came back and played on netplay, I had 3 or 4 people tell me that they noticed a significant improvement in just the one day i had spent playing with those people. Especially when a couple of them were actually mentoring me and trying to help me get better.

Additionally, half of the cast is unplayable online. Tao, Carl, Litchi, Arakune, Mu, Makoto, Lambda, and Rachel players all suffer greatly from being unable to play their character at a full potential online. Not to say that the rest of the cast doesn't, but these characters especially have a hard time dealing with lag.

Then when you also look at the fact that lag kills characters like Lambda who have to guess where to place swords in the first place in addition to dealing with lag. You're pretty much playing russian roulette. Or Carl players where if you mess up a combo the opponent is right next to you and once again, gets in for free. Or Makoto/Noel players, who when they mess up their rushdown can easily lose the game.

Many characters as it stands right now can't really afford to make many mistakes. Online reduces that mistake level to 2, maybe 3 MAX before you lose.

end rant that's fairly offtopic.

Yeah, great, offline is a better experience than online. I agree, no one is arguing otherwise so get that out of your head.

The problem is the feasibility of getting that offline experience. And unless you're telling me that driving hours to go play some stranger offline for a bit is way better than sitting down and playing online within 5 minutes, I don't understand what your point is.

I got together with Toasty Cheese recently to play some BB offline, and yeah its way better, but face it, I got 2 dozen offline games, in, out of my what, 500 games online?

Plus how bad of lag are we talking about anyway? I notice a couple ms of lag and thats it, not exactly game breaking when theres nothing at stake.

"Play blazblue offline, its not my fault you won't sink hours of driving time to play a game."

"I simply can't, I don't have a car, why don't you come drive up to maine? You talk about playing BB offline like its super feasible."

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Yeah, great, offline is a better experience than online. I agree, no one is arguing otherwise so get that out of your head.

The problem is the feasibility of getting that offline experience. And unless you're telling me that driving hours to go play some stranger offline for a bit is way better than sitting down and playing online within 5 minutes, I don't understand what your point is.

I got together with Toasty Cheese recently to play some BB offline, and yeah its way better, but face it, I got 2 dozen offline games, in, out of my what, 500 games online?

Plus how bad of lag are we talking about anyway? I notice a couple ms of lag and thats it, not exactly game breaking when theres nothing at stake.

"Play blazblue offline, its not my fault you won't sink hours of driving time to play a game."

"I simply can't, I don't have a car, why don't you come drive up to maine? You talk about playing BB offline like its super feasible."

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Actually, the hour and a half drive i would usually make to play people offline is 100% better.

Also, "how bad of lag". Anything less than a 4 bar connection and I can't do TK loops. Blah blah get better execution i know but when i consistently hit 4-5 reps offline and i can barely do 3 online if i'm lucky seems to be a pretty significant decrease in damage.

And if there are no people around you that play, why not start a small scene of your own? It's really not as hard as you think.

Fighting games are muscle memorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Hurr Durr lag stops my combos

No, lag stops blocking properly, guessing games, throws, counters, shit like that

And if there are no people around you that play, why not start a small scene of your own? It's really not as hard as you think.

not really..... my friend and my brother are the only people in my area that play BB (to my knowledge) and they have a tough time learning it, because despite all the talk of "lol BB is easy", people who have no experience with fighting games find it very hard....

and me (not very social) went up to people and said "hey guys want to try this anime weaboo game instead of halo?" what do you think would happen? I can count on my hand how many people would want to play....

that said my biggest gripe with online is that the skill level is incosistent and when you do find someone good to fight against the lag is either too great or you only get like 3 fights....

Hmmm...no. I've been trying to develop a scene here since CT dropped with no success. Only one friend of mine puts as much time and effort into the game as I do. My other hardcore buddies have no interest in this game. They'll play a few matches and then go back to Street Fighter IV or Tekken 6. Then there's the people I know that play casually that don't actively seek to get better. I tried teaching them basic fighter fundamentals but they don't understand it's usefulness. While I have no shortage of people to play with offline there's no interest to play the game beyond a casual level.

You could always do what I do and practice that bnb combo until you don't even think about the timing. So no matter whats on the screen you just do it. Works for me.

Convert your local SF4 scene, or at least try and get them to start blazing some blue or melting some blood on the side. I guarantee that you have a SF4 scene.

That being said, I realize that it's easier said than done, and if you don't have a car, you're pretty much fucked regardless.