Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

It seems that Zappa's sword travels more slowly than he does when he runs. This is inconveniant as it can delay some moves or cause them to come out in the wrong spot.

What is the best way to deal with this?

If there's one concept I'm familiar with in all fighting games, it is block and punish. My question is this: Am I correct in thinking that block and punish is really a central aspect of gameplay in GG? I usually find myself blocking my opponent's pressure strings/mixups. The few times I manage to successfully block my opponent's offensive I cannot retaliate. This is especially true when I play against characters that like to end pressure strings with a projectile (Venom, Johnny, Ky, Dizzy, Axl, Sol, etc.). Pushback is either too great to throw/counter with a string of my own, or a projectile is coming at me that I must block. I feel as I am doomed to block the entire match, but I know this just cannot be the case. Surely I should be rewarded with blocking the opponent's pressure strings. I don't know. I must be missing something. Some integral concept I am not grasping. Forgive me if my question is too broad or abstract.

i think that block and punish in YOUR sense is not correct. It is not a central aspect of gameplay in GG. Baiting on the other hand is central. Similarly the same goes with mind reading and thinking up of counter attacks. This means instead of blocking the whole string and thinking that you can punish after blocking, how about read when they want to attack you, and counter attack. For example if you know sol is going to dash in and 5k you, you can read that and just do Chipp's 6p and smack him in the face. Or, if you know he's going to come in from the air, then dash under him and air grab. Another thing you should focus on is HOW TO GET OUT OF PRESSURE, and put yourself in a better position. Say for example, you might want to consider FD-ing the first few hits of ky's attack string or VENOM's, so when they cancel into projectile you have enough space to IAD over and punish them, or do something weird like GRANDVIPER underneath the projectiles. Or, you can consider tricking the opponent by IB-ing the coin, and using an invincible overdrive to surprise them when they thought you were still in block stun.

In a nutshell, it is not just about mindless blocking and easy retaliation. It is more like knowing what the opponent is going to do next, and THINKING of a retaliation or counter measure. Holding back and hoping someone to screw up will get you no where. And this applies to every game. Dun sit there and hope, THINK and ACT!

I think IB-ing there was what the guy may have been looking for? Instant Blocking from what I can explain is blocking the second a hit would have connected.. Doing this takes you out of blockstun faster as well as reduces push back. So by timing and IB-ing most of a pressure string you'd be able to counter right after. At higher levels I suppose opponents would see this coming and cut a string short to keep some sort of advantage or at least a neutral level.. Oh forgot to mention.. when you successfully IB a hit you flash white. Oh also FD while blocking helps in another way... FDing or green blocking or whatever u wanna call it drains your tension meter but at the same time causes more push back, so an opponent may have an attack in a string whiff and you can counter from there or at least regain some ground. Also there's DA attack (fwd and two buttons cept dust while blocking). Takes half tension but instant knockdown for you if done correctly

As for your question fenrir.. when in character select screen.. start>>> go down to SP or special or whatever it's called there>>> select with any button cept dust.. dust gets u the gold version.

Hidden

Beware of frame traps.

If there's one concept I'm familiar with in all fighting games, it is block and punish. My question is this: Am I correct in thinking that block and punish is really a central aspect of gameplay in GG? I usually find myself blocking my opponent's pressure strings/mixups. The few times I manage to successfully block my opponent's offensive I cannot retaliate. This is especially true when I play against characters that like to end pressure strings with a projectile (Venom, Johnny, Ky, Dizzy, Axl, Sol, etc.). Pushback is either too great to throw/counter with a string of my own, or a projectile is coming at me that I must block. I feel as I am doomed to block the entire match, but I know this just cannot be the case. Surely I should be rewarded with blocking the opponent's pressure strings. I don't know. I must be missing something. Some integral concept I am not grasping. Forgive me if my question is too broad or abstract.

In Guilty Gear, offense is conservative play that creates openings to punish. At least proper offense is.

If you just sit there waiting for a laggy move, you're going to die when they do a mixup and do a full guardbar combo on you. GG is a game where defense is very important, but passive defense gets you nowhere. You're going to need to learn how to use FD, IB, DAAs, FD jumps, and specific moves (uppercuts, throws, backdashes) to create escape points rather than just sitting around waiting for them to come.

The whole deal in Guilty Gear is to keep your opponent from creating a situation where you need to block, because blocking on defense tends to mean you are one step away from being combo'd. So safe offense, good poking/zoning, and proper spacing are very important.

']It seems that Zappa's sword travels more slowly than he does when he runs. This is inconveniant as it can delay some moves or cause them to come out in the wrong spot.

What is the best way to deal with this?

All of Zappa's summons lag behind him a bit when he's running or superjumping. Just learn to deal by using his non-summon specific moves or well... not running/superjumping when you don't need to be.

The whole deal in Guilty Gear is to keep your opponent from creating a situation where you need to block, because blocking on defense tends to mean you are one step away from being combo'd.

I disagree, blocking is as integral in GG as any other part that's in there. It's even better to sit out an opponent till he fucks up then trying to interrupt him and giving away counter hits. More so, isn't it better being one step away from being combo'd then being combo'd? I'd stay one step away from being combo'd the entire match rather then giving them away. Ofcourse the multiple ways of blocking do allow you certain things, FD requires the opponent to run in on you sooner, generating a hole, IB allows you to respond sooner etc etc. But that never means it's not a good idea to end up blocking.

I disagree, blocking is as integral in GG as any other part that's in there. It's even better to sit out an opponent till he fucks up then trying to interrupt him and giving away counter hits. More so, isn't it better being one step away from being combo'd then being combo'd? I'd stay one step away from being combo'd the entire match rather then giving them away. Ofcourse the multiple ways of blocking do allow you certain things, FD requires the opponent to run in on you sooner, generating a hole, IB allows you to respond sooner etc etc. But that never means it's not a good idea to end up blocking.

No. You never want to be blocking. Period. If you can hit someone before they hit you, you don't have to block. If you can rush someone down so they can't attack at all, you don't have to block. You never want to block, ever.

Hey so I was playing a Ky mirror match with a friend. He was facing towards the right corner and I was obviously somewhat near the corner. He jumps up, I air throw him to the left. I mistakenly jump straight up and do an j.D, obviously not spacing myself properly so that it would hit him as a meaty or what have you. So this means the j.D is not hitting him at all. Just as he's getting up I'm ready to IAD and whatever, when we both realize right after he gets up and is crouch blocking that his Ky is facing to the left. We both stop, run to training mode, and attempt to recreate it, but no luck.

What the hell happened?

when the opponent is downed in the corner, you can jump or iad towards the wall to cross them up on wake up. the game recognizes as you having jumped over the opponent, but since there's a wall you're still on the same side when you land. the opponent will wake up crossed up.

some characters utilize this more than others, but it's good to toss it out once in a while.

I'd rather be one step away from comboing my opponent or actually comboing my opponent than one step away from being combo'd by my opponent. See I like winning and stuff.

What GB said is pretty much the point I was trying to make. Blocking and stuff is important, but the longer you sit there and block, the more likely you are to finally get mixed up and lose when they do a flashing guardbar combo on you.

So instead of being passive about it, you should work to actively avoid situations where blocking is the best/only option. Sometimes you have to block. That's unavoidable in the long run. But sometimes you don't have to, and sometimes you shouldn't, and really the trick is to create situations where your opponent has to block, not the other way around.

when the opponent is downed in the corner, you can jump or iad towards the wall to cross them up on wake up. the game recognizes as you having jumped over the opponent, but since there's a wall you're still on the same side when you land. the opponent will wake up crossed up.

some characters utilize this more than others, but it's good to toss it out once in a while.

But I was the one in the corner, not him.

I IAD'ed to the left, not the right. I also landed within 2.D distance of him from that IAD, meaning I wasn't all that close enough to him to possibly intiate that 'glitch' either.

;p

Hey so I was playing a Ky mirror match with a friend. He was facing towards the right corner and I was obviously somewhat near the corner. He jumps up, I air throw him to the left. I mistakenly jump straight up and do an j.D, obviously not spacing myself properly so that it would hit him as a meaty or what have you. So this means the j.D is not hitting him at all. Just as he's getting up I'm ready to IAD and whatever, when we both realize right after he gets up and is crouch blocking that his Ky is facing to the left. We both stop, run to training mode, and attempt to recreate it, but no luck.

What the hell happened?

proximety blocking from the cross up bug thing yadda blah.

also, let's remember that blocking makes your hitbox bigger

That's totally character dependent. The big guy gets even bigger when he's attemting a block while Dizzy get's really tiny when she blocks low.

no it's thinner than it looks -- I remember Teyah taking some screenshots of Millia vs Dizzy in training mode showing how thin her hitbox actually is. (IIRC some things like 6K or 2S would noticeably "hit" Dizzy's sprite but not her hitbox.)

so you're saying that dizzy's hit box in crouch block animation is actually smaller than her neutral crouch?? that sounds kind of counter intuitive but maybe i'll look into it later. my general understanding was that hit boxes for any gg character become larger when they're in hit stun and block stun, but maybe i was wrong.

no it's thinner than it looks -- I remember Teyah taking some screenshots of Millia vs Dizzy in training mode showing how thin her hitbox actually is. (IIRC some things like 6K or 2S would noticeably "hit" Dizzy's sprite but not her hitbox.)

Not sure on whether it's smaller but it definitely is further back. Random stuff whiffs for no reason like Millia S© and Sol 2D (Sol 2D feels like it has the range of Hoss's 2D when Dizzy crouch-blocks).

Some whiffs capped within a single round:

hitboxbd9.jpg

Then again I do recall Eddie's drills not really hitting properly when behind her either, so who knows.

I guess it depends on the character really, primarily look at how they sit, some chars like OS and Sol indeed tend to get a bit wider.

CD: it's never a good idea to "just block" but it's better to sit there blocking waiting for a real hole then a fake one. For some reason, even with my rotten attention span, I have no problem following my opponent for a pretty long while blocking most of the stuff he has... However, this can also have to do with my opponent being to slow, so I'll leave my capabillities in the middle here.

Trying not having to block is like trying to stop the rain, yes it can be done in a way, but to common humans it's not possible. If you play someone that's actually good you can't play the game so that you won't have to block. Rushdown can keep the pressure on for a pretty good time, but even there there is a moment where you can no longer go and HAVE to defend, and with any rushdown that's not very long.

Run away would be the second option which depending on the character might be plausible, but any opponent that can deal with that will still eat you alive, because when you're running, you ain't blocking.

Zoning, well some chars have anti zoning tools(such as Sol and HOS), some others can outzone you on every aspect (Axl). Your pick really... But you will end up blocking in the long run.

Just my 2 cents...

reaver: i think we all agree that there are times that we must block. And im sure you agree that we should all try to minimze the situations where you have to block. ANd yes we all agree that we shouldn't be jumping into baits....... But in general, (in my honest opinion) blocking is a last resort. You should always focus on zoning and knowing when/how to get out of particular pressure strings. Additionally you should know how to counter opening attacks (like jump ins) and how to apply solid pressure with fake holes here and there to trick the opponent.

blocking is important but in the hiearchy of importance, it is lower than the above. But of course we're not saying not to do it.. -.-

For me it's not really a last resort, and my character has no zoning capabillities, so for me it's not "zone"; it's rush or block. I block whenever I feel I can gain the advantage shortly afterwards(forcing a DAA for example).

Sign in to follow this