Sign in to follow this  
Nehle

Switching from pad to stick - advice needed.

You do know the proper input for IAD(Instant Air Dash) right? Just perform the jump cancel with 9(up forward) and then hit 6(forward) asap after that. The onyl things you need to keep in mind is the up forward input can be fairly loose but the forward needs to be pretty dead on. Hope you get your combo down ;)

o_O? for #R? Are you surrrreeee because that doesn't seem to work for me/on it (trying it with keyboard and pad as well...only the double movement (9566) seems to work O_o)

I got a T4 stick just today, which is similar to the T5 stick from what I heard, just feel little bit different but just as good. I'm tyring to make the transition for the first time. Fuck me it's rock hard. IAD yes is bloody hard. Don't u guys feel motions feel very sluggish compared to a pad? Because on a pad only small movements are needed and u just move the thumb, but on a stick u move the whole fucking hand and arm(?). My dashes are slow for example, and IAD even slower. Seriously, is there a "best" way to hold a stick? Palm up or palm right. Also, my stick is 6 buttons so: K S H P - D is the standard, right? For me it doesn't fit like a glove, how can u guys switch to use D and H fast enough? cos the pinky is useless and is nowhere.

ahh i feel your pain. i just bought a stick last weekend and i totally suck ass on it. yes, your controls are the default and also what i am using and using that pinky is definately hard. and hey, at least you can dash. i have trouble double tapping in one direction cause i either dont do it fast enuff or i never let the joystick hit the neutral position after the first tap so the second tap never registers. then there is the problem of randomly jumping when i dont mean to...ahh i cant play #R online anymore!

you just get used to the pinky. i couldn't do it at first either and switched my ring from H to D. just give it time and practice the motions. the important thing is to force yourself to do it right and not get used to play impractically because its easier. about how to hold the stick i am not sure the best way but i put the shaft (hold your laughter please) between my middle and ring finger. hope this helps.

i know the answer to this question varies from person to person, but how long did it take until you were completely comfortable with the stick?

Yeah that's arcade setup. Thump on punch, and it goes all the way down, with your pinky resting on dust. But I know some people who just can't seem to get their pinky to rest on dust. Dunno if it's just in their head or what... Keep at it and you'll find a way. First timers always seem to use a bit too much force and movement. I use to be like that too. I couldn't keep the stick in my lap. Now I got joystick control to just a few flicks of my finger. I dunno how large the gate on a T4 stick is, so the amount of movement you need may vary.

All I know the T4 stick has a square gate. Whether the gate is big or not I dont know cos I don't have experience with many sticks - this is my first one. The arcades I've played on use circle gate. I still feel the pinky on the D is impossible, since D is directly below H(ring finger), the pinky will somehow have to twist to get under the ring finger, and that feels painful and tiring. I guess I have to use the ring for both H and D. This is great I feel like a total newb in GG again!

All I know the T4 stick has a square gate. Whether the gate is big or not I dont know cos I don't have experience with many sticks - this is my first one. The arcades I've played on use circle gate.

I still feel the pinky on the D is impossible, since D is directly below H(ring finger), the pinky will somehow have to twist to get under the ring finger, and that feels painful and tiring. I guess I have to use the ring for both H and D.

This is great I feel like a total newb in GG again!

If it helps, try moving your whole hand instead of just your fingers or wrists when you need to press a button that's not readily accessible. Helps a lot, especially if you have small hands...

And yeah, it takes quite a bit to get used to sticks, but it's all muscle memory and preference. Find a setting that's comfy for you (for me I hold the stick like a pen on the top of the ball, considering that you do not really need to move the stick all the way to the edge of the gate for the direction to register in the game), and stick with it until it's second nature.

In a couple of weeks, I'll have a mini-Tekken-5 Hori stick that I'm buying off a buddy, so I'll be joining the "Oh god where are my hands what button do I press I'm not good with this aaahh!! :gonk:" crew. ;)

_TGS THANKS for advice, u are the man. :D I realise I do have to move the hand after all. I guess it will take a few months to get used to the stick. The T4 is a nice stick , but just don't feel so right with the Tekken artwork. I don't like Tekken games at all!

_TGS THANKS for advice, u are the man. :D I realise I do have to move the hand after all.

I guess it will take a few months to get used to the stick.

The T4 is a nice stick , but just don't feel so right with the Tekken artwork. I don't like Tekken games at all!

There has to be a thread somewhere for modding all these Tekken sticks to put GG artwork on them. ;)

Oh, and a word of warning to anyone thinking of buying a filthy cheap stick to start on. Don't get the Logic3 one that plugs into PS2, Xbox, and PC. When my friend was using it, the stick lifted out of the pad itself within 2 minutes.

use ur hand to press buttons, not just individual fingers, move it around. i end up pressing dust with my thumb even though my middle finger is still on the slash button =\ its just a matter of practice as for the stick dont use your whole arm, try using more of your wrist and fingers, moving ur whole arm makes u slow.

I just got a stick and I'm having the same problems mentioned by the TC... now I hear that the stick I got sucks (hori pro 2). wtf? Like, seriously. I heard on another topic that Hori's sticks were good. When did they start sucking? I wasted 120 on the stick for nothing?

the stick doesn't suck...it's just people got personal preference...I've got the same one and I'm just switching too...it's working pretty good for me...the joystick is very good...the buttons are the only thing I want changed b/c those buttons arn't good for my pinky to press...damn GG controls... My problem is equality on the stick side...somethings I can do like Half-Circles better from right to left...it's especially annoying on dat Arcana...

I'm getting a Hori stick soon enough and from the practice I've had so far on my friends stick I think the transition to stick will be fairly easy for me. I'm one of the few people out there that plays on a analog on Pad so I'm already used to the movement of the stick its just the button pressing thats getting me. With a month or two of hours of practice. I'mma get it down to muscle memory and being comfortable

I'm getting a Hori stick soon enough and from the practice I've had so far on my friends stick I think the transition to stick will be fairly easy for me. I'm one of the few people out there that plays on a analog on Pad so I'm already used to the movement of the stick its just the button pressing thats getting me. With a month or two of hours of practice. I'mma get it down to muscle memory and being comfortable

I used analog on the pad too, but I still have troubles... :(

I'm slowly getting it though. Its so... different...

Sign in to follow this