KayEff

BlazBlue Question Thread - Ask your questions here!

I'm just gonna say Bang.

1) Yolo Pressure. Can stay on you for a long time

2) Very Versatile

3) Awesome Mixups + Damage

4) A Lot of tools

5) We need more Bang players

I'm just gonna say Bang.

1) Yolo Pressure. Can stay on you for a long time

2) Very Versatile

3) Awesome Mixups + Damage

4) A Lot of tools

5) We need more Bang players

I'm going to disagree, at least if we're talking BBCP.

1) Since he can no longer do TK D-Nails he pretty much gets one "go" for pressure before it's over in terms of there being a gap for the opponent to do something or just outright being back to neutral.

2) I don't think he's versatile at all, he's heavily rushdown/momentum based, compared to say Jin/Hakumen/Litchi. He has a very linear playstyle in this case, he just has different tools to go about doing that (i'll cover in #4).

3) His mixup is good, but his damage is only good if you hit them standing / at neutral / in the corner. His crouching combos do TERRIBLE damage midscreen and don't even provide the same corner carry as Extend. So because of this his mixup is less threatening because the crouching combos are "meh" and his pressure isn't even as good as it was in Extend, and his command throw was nerfed. I also don't think he goes well with the term "lockdown". So "awesome" doesn't fit to me at least in most cases.

4) I wouldn't really say he has a lot of tools, or if he does they aren't entirely useful. Bumpers have always been situational due to BB's tech system. D-Nails are good maybe even "better" now at neutral, however you lose the entire function of them at pressure which is a HUGE deal, so that trade off isn't exactly good in my opinion. A-Nails/C-Nails are more or less the same. B-Nail now functions differently to the point that it is situational, instead of like in Extend where it was relatively useful after a knockdown. FRKZ is now OD which makes it's use even more situational at least in terms of whether or not you should do it by comparison to Extend.

EDIT: Oh yea, Steel Rain is situational like it has always been no matter how they changed it. The new air move has limited use but I guess it's something at least. The new distortion CAN be useful, but it now takes the same place as old FRKZ which is you have to build towards it in a very specific way (more so than old FRKZ) to even use it. It really becomes useful during OD, otherwise the damage is minimal but I guess it's at least something else to have.

5) Yes.

Just my opinion on the matter.

who has the most rushdown/lockdown/blockstrings in BB? I wanna learn a character that can be all up in your face 24/7.

Might as well just pick Valkenhayn / Taokaka honestly.

Edited by zeth07

Hello, my question may sound stupid but I have a hard time understanding the wakeup mechanism in blazblue, I am unable to perform a reversal on neutral tech.

If I stay still I get hit otg... rolling forward/backward is easily baited and punished and neutral tech I am forced to block because I am unable to perform any reversal.

Can someone explain how it works please.

When you press a button to neutral tech, you get 32f(roughly a half-second) of not hitting or being hit. From then on you are in a neutral state.

Some dp's are frame 1 invincible meaning as soon as you tech, you will further be invincible. If you are even a frame off, you can be meatied, meaning the foe can time am attack to hit you on that first frame you are able to be hit.

In order to avoid such a situation, you can take advantage of this game's advance input system, which allows you to put in a input 5 frames before it is required, essentially reducing the headache of having to put in an input precisely.

Tl;dr input your dp 5 frames before necessary. Right before your characters feet touches the ground.

It has been a while since I have picked up BlazBlue. I bought Continuum Shift maybe six months ago when my PS3 died. Unfortunately for me I have not touched the game since. As a result I've fallen off the development of the Blazblue games. Could some clarify the development of the BlazBlue games for me?

To my understanding it has gone: Calamity Trigger, Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift II?, Continuum Shift Extended, Chronophantasma (Not released onto Consoles)

So CSE is the most recent and up-to-date console version for online competitive play? User Dark Ranger88 posted, "You'll be missing 4 characters, and you won't be able to play online with anyone" to a user who was going to buy CS.

What did the extended version add to CS? Dark Ranger88 said they added four new characters? I did not think that was true considering only three DLC characters were introduced during CS: Valkheim, Platinum and Relius. Who is the fourth or did they add the three additional DLC and added four more?

Where can I find a up-to-date tier list? I found this thread but it appears to be archived meaning it is no longer up to date? http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?13251-BBCS-Extend-Tier-List-Thread#2

On a similar note I am looking for a new main. I've read over the strategy sections of all the characters in the Wiki here. Sadly, one thing has occurred which hinders my ability to choose a character and go fourth: My lack of understanding of advanced techniques.

This is my first fighter game in which I've spent considerable time playing online and training. For the past two weeks I've attempted to learn Hazama but quickly I've come to realize I do not like his play style. In the past I've heavily enjoyed very quick characters and be in their face. Pretty much be completely in non-stop onslaught mode. On the other hand for any of you who have played Mortal Kombat Komplete Game and know of the character, Jade, I really like playing her. I just don't know how to describe her play style.

Knowing the above and my little understanding would these hero's potentially fit this style? Taokaka, Ragana or Mu-12.

Thanks for answering my questions!

Extend is the latest one, and it has all the stuff the other games do combined. You want to get Extend if you're gonna get a new one.

Ragna or Makoto or Bang would be up your alley probably.

You should definitely give Taokaka a look to. Her neutral and offensive game are both ridiculous. You can lock people down for days and easily get in on them. Her only problem is that she doesn't have a reversal.

Also you can low profile TONS of moves to piss people off.

What character has changed the least in CP? I haven't played BB in a long while.. and I want to practice up a bit before CP hits. TIA

if you're referring to playstyle, most characters call for the same stuff, except for nu and maybe relius.

for combos, then it might be a little tricker as everyone's combos changed drastically. it's debatable, but i think hazama and taokaka's the least changed in this regard.

What character has changed the least in CP? I haven't played BB in a long while.. and I want to practice up a bit before CP hits. TIA

All the characters have changed in their own way, but none have done a complete 180 in their playstyle. Playing any of them in Extend will give you a feel for the character and most (if not all) of your Extend knowledge of that character will transfer over. Just choose a character you like the style of and you'll be good to go!

In that case Maybe I'll just wait.. I played CS2, then extend came out and I hated what they Did to my mains Makoto and Noel. So

I just stopped playing. I was referring to combos... I don't want to learn combos that will be useless in a little less than a year or so. :( thanks for the info

In that case Maybe I'll just wait.. I played CS2, then extend came out and I hated what they Did to my mains Makoto and Noel. So

I just stopped playing. I was referring to combos... I don't want to learn combos that will be useless in a little less than a year or so. :( thanks for the info

Do you play fighting games at all? the damn things have a lifespan of like a year between versions. Do you ever bother learning combos? Honestly, with the Western release of CP like 9+ months out at this point, it's a bloody long time to just do nothing, and you'd be much MUCH better served by playing the game.

Yes I play other games.. p4a... Arcana 3... INJUSTICE... that is why I don't have time to learn combos that will be useless 9 months down the road. I have a full time job.. and 2 kids. I don't have time to waste time. :)

Yes I play other games.. p4a... Arcana 3... INJUSTICE... that is why I don't have time to learn combos that will be useless 9 months down the road. I have a full time job.. and 2 kids. I don't have time to waste time. :)

Well, bad news, new version of Arcana 3 is coming, Injustice your combos will probably be out of date in 4 months, and you probably shouldn't learn CP either because it'll be due for an update too.

If 9 months is too short for you, you are probably in the wrong hobby.

Hey guys.....Im not sure exactly where I should ask this as its not exactly BB related.......but it kinda is at the same time. Ill just ask and hope I dont get in trouble lol.

Im developing a hi res 2d sprite based fighting game thats going to be similar to BB, Skullgirls, etc. Ive just got a quick question balance wise, and since my game is going to have similar speed and gameplay mechanics as BB (air dashes, running, chain combos, general speed, etc), I figured yall would be a good source. Anyways, here we go:

1) I dont play Makoto at all, but im curious if her run/option mechanic is really useful when it comes to pressure / mixups. The only run/option that im used to is Guy from SF. Does a run/option mechanic translate well into a chain combo style game such as BB, Skullgirls, Marvel, etc. (I know Cerebella has a run/option in SG, but hers is pretty ass.....so im asking yall).

2) What is yalls opinion of a rushdown / mixup character that has the following moves / abilities:

a) Run / options

1) Run / stop (would be about -2 on block if done perfectly....very similar to Guy in sf4)

2) Run / Stagger hit (can combo into it. Single hit that staggers the opponent allowing a link into a normal which can obviously be converted into a combo. punishable.)

3) Run / overhead. (An overhead that hops over lows. Causes hard knockdown on hit, ground bounces on counterhit. -5ish on block, depending on how deep.)

b) Glyphs - similar to Mu's glyphs except they dont shoot a little laser on their own. you can still send a projectile to bounce from glyph to glyph then to the opponent (just like Mu), but it costs meter (think of an EX stock, not a super). The projectile does not stop for any reason until it has left the last glyph. (if it hits the opponent, on hit or on block any time before it leaves the final glyph, it just keeps going meaning multiple mixup / lockdown situations) glyphs cancel into each other and are jump cancellable. 3 glyphs max.

c) Barrier: costs one EX stock. puts up a barrier on the screen that eats a projectile. For every glyph on the screen at time of use, it absorbs one extra hit of a projectile (up to 4 projectiles absorbed max). Glyphs disappear from screen when this is used (they kinda form the barrier if theyre out). Barrier has fast startup and recovery. Barrier doesnt affect physical hitboxes, and characters can safely move through the barrier. It only affects projectiles.

d) Spin attack (think of Kula's spin thing from KoF......but it works like Sakuras tatsu in SF4.) L version is +0 on block, on hit it allows a link into a light normal. M and H versions are similar to Sakuras....not really great for anything. EX version does more damage and launches for a combo

Supers:

a) bionic arm (lvl1)

b) spell of vishanti type super (lvl 1)

b)Neo Deadly Rave (lvl 3)

* all characters in this game can air dash (most characters), run (most characters) and all characters have a universal parry (tekken style parry with startup and recovery....not 3s style parry. Parry doesnt counter crossups).

anyways, if I could get any opinions from you guys, I would love to hear them, and again, im sorry if this is the wrong place for this....I just figured that you guys would be a great source to ask because I know run/option mechanics are not very common in chain combo style games.

Thanks yall, I cant wait to hear the feedback.

PS. We want to make the game balanced in a way where every character is really good....not in a way where every character is just mediocre.

Edit: Last thing, she has a spear, so she will have some disjointed hitboxes

Edited by The K1 Effect

Well, bad news, new version of Arcana 3 is coming, Injustice your combos will probably be out of date in 4 months, and you probably shouldn't learn CP either because it'll be due for an update too.

If 9 months is too short for you, you are probably in the wrong hobby.

1. Don't be a dick

2. When games are updated they don't change as drastically as the difference between EXTEND and CP.

3. If you treat people like assholes...don't be surprised if you get treated like one.

And thanks to everyone who actually helped.

Edited by seven215

1. Don't be a dick

2. When games are updated they don't change as drastically as the difference between EXTEND and CP.

3. If you treat people like assholes...don't be surprised if you get treated like one.

And thanks to everyone who actually helped.

It's honest advice. Fighting games change a lot, all the time. If you really think that CP is going to be a big problem for you, you shouldn't botther.

That said, I think you grossly overestimate how much relearning will actually be required for CP and how difficult it will be, and coming in and saying "Hey, I want to practice, but I don't want to learn." doesn't really leave you much in the way of choices. But have a nice day. ^_^

The K1 Effect:

#1: Makoto's Asteroid vision isn't bad, though it's not awesome either. It's probably about as good as Guy's run ins SF4 (Which is also 'good' but depends a lot on your opponent respecting you.) It can be used as a tricky pressure reset via Break or Eclipse turn. You can also use the B/C versions into Lightning Arrow (or j.C or whatever) if you don't think your opponent is on point with anti-airs. Certainly, you have a lot of options, but part of that is because Asteroid Vision isn't JUST a "run/stop/attack" select like Guy's run. If it were, I think it would be somewhat weak. Therefore....

#2a: I think this is a kinda weak in this sort of game, because most characters can do something like this already - the only advantage gained by making the run a special move is the ability to special cancel it. If this is just one of a bunch of skills then this is kinda okay, but it's not very interesting.

#2b: Sounds a LOT like Mu's drive, only watered down. Could be okay, but a lot depends on how the game works. Again, would be kinda weak in BB. Honestly, I think you'd want the glyphs to do something OTHER than just be reflectors that are used in one EX move, unless they are super easy/safe to lay down. Though I guess you tried to address that with C

#2c: Weak unless A) The barrier is freakin' huge and can block projectiles from lots of different angles and positions and/or is large enough for a character to stand inside ala Hakumen's Barrier OR B) The game itself is full of projectiles but doesn't have all that much variety in projectile types - i.e. SF4. In SF4 LOTS of characters have projectiles, but 90% of them are grounded and the only real difference between them is speed/recovery. However, projectiles of that nature are generally pretty crap in a game with airdashes and high mobility (SF4 is a super low mobility game.) So this probably won't really be useful.

#2d: No idea, not enough detail. Sure? Just sounds like a multi-hit special attack that is even frames if spaced right.

No idea about any of the supers because I'm not really familiar with the moves you are referencing.

Getting rid of first post anxiety...

Anyway, I recently got into blazblue, really enjoying it, been mostly playing at my friends(who introduced me to it) place with him since he got CSEX and we can play online.

Was thinking of getting a ps3 and CSEX and later CP myself since CT & CS1 (on pc) clearly don't cut it.

Blazblue is my first fighter experience (excluding various drunk button mashing casualness) so I'm pretty damn bad and EVERYTHING feels new or weird.

So my question is: is there a list of things I need to learn? So far I've been learning a lot of things but they're all over the place with no structure or pattern. Gotta say thanks to this place though - lots of information even if a bit overwhelming for me.

I'm getting used to the general feel of the game: UI, controls, moves. Blocking was surprisingly hard for my brain to get around (no blocking in quake :D).

I'm maining Hakumen so far. Badass character. Nice simple obvious strong attacks. Pretty defensive. Getting used to range, speed, what counters what (pretty random). A clutch yukikaze feels best <3.

Obviously since I don't have CSEX myself yet, my training is limited, but at least I can say I feel like I know what I'm doing when I play and I can plan and adjust.

Played online against some people who TRASHED me(and my friends) and it felt good, definitely learned a few things. I heard it's weird that I'm ok with losing :P.

Aaand to finish off: it's a good idea to get ps3/BBCSEX, right? There's no conspiracy or anything, correct? I CAN get decent, right?

Could you tell me anything bad about anything that I could expect?

Getting rid of first post anxiety...

Anyway, I recently got into blazblue, really enjoying it, been mostly playing at my friends(who introduced me to it) place with him since he got CSEX and we can play online.

Was thinking of getting a ps3 and CSEX and later CP myself since CT & CS1 (on pc) clearly don't cut it.

If you're really serious about the hobby, yes, a PS3 and Extend (both of which are comparatively cheap right now, and getting cheaper all the time) is the way to do it; The PS3 is going to be the home for this series for the foreseeable future.

Blazblue is my first fighter experience (excluding various drunk button mashing casualness) so I'm pretty damn bad and EVERYTHING feels new or weird.

So my question is: is there a list of things I need to learn? So far I've been learning a lot of things but they're all over the place with no structure or pattern. Gotta say thanks to this place though - lots of information even if a bit overwhelming for me.

There's no "list", per se, but it sounds like you're already working on most of the important stuff. If I had to come up with a total beginner's primer, it'd look something like this:

#0: Watch Beginner Mode. James Xie put this together a while ago, but it's all still 100% relevant, and it explains a lot of stuff that's not obvious otherwise. There's a lot of it, so take it easy, don't try to sit down and watch it all at once or something, but review it when you're not practicing and have the urge to learn. (This is convenient, because you can start on this stuff now, even before you have the game). It's also pretty entertaining. James is a funny man ;)

Edit: Hmm. Weirdly, that link doesn't actually link to all the episodes because they're not in that playlist. I'll put one together and link it.

#1: Go through the ingame tutorial. It explains all the mechanics. You won't remember them all at first, but it's good to try to get them into the back of your mind.

#2: Pick a character (Sounds like you like Hakumen) and go through some of their Challenge Mode trials (You NEED to at least be able to complete 1-2. Ideally,you should be able to push through 3 and 4 as well). This gives you an idea of what the character's special moves do, and a few very basic combo concepts.

#3: Play the game. At this point, you don't even need to play against people - though it's probably preferable. Just focus on learning what your character can do. Learn your normals, and what are useful for what. The Dustloop Wiki has good info for this too (linked to the Hakumen page).

#4: Practice. As in, in training mode. The most important thing here is to be able to do all your special moves on demand, 100% of the time. If your can't reliably make your character do what you want them to do, frustration will follow. After that, you can use training mode for a LOT of stuff, but a good next step would probably be a couple of basic combos.

#5: Play some more.

#6: Learn. By now you should have some idea of what you're doing wrong or not doing, or whatever. Try to identify things that you should do less of (Too many random counters, getting hit a lot!) or not doing enough (I never remember to use Zantetsu, it's strong, I should use it more!) and then use those in matches. If you have questions, Dustloop is here for you.

#7: Practice. Work on implementing what you've learned.

#8: Play.

Repeat 6-8.

At all steps: relax and have fun.

Aaand to finish off: it's a good idea to get ps3/BBCSEX, right? There's no conspiracy or anything, correct? I CAN get decent, right?

You can absolutely get decent. It's a good idea to get a PS3/Extend if you enjoy the game. (Extend is super cheap, and picking a PS3 'future proofs' you for CP eventually.). Uh... anything bad? People can be dicks when they lose.

Edited by Airk

If you're really serious about the hobby, yes, a PS3 and Extend (both of which are comparatively cheap right now, and getting cheaper all the time) is the way to do it; The PS3 is going to be the home for this series for the foreseeable future.

aaaannnnd thats what i hate about AKSYS. they help make games for all consoles, but just like the A.H. series, they make the final one exclusive. to me, this is like a giant middle finger to fans of the series. but what ever. at least now if i know if a friend has CP, i know for sure its ps3. so no concerns about if he has ps3 or 360.

I CAN get decent, right?

you can surely become decent -- and its a good point of view to begin with a grounded approach, just recognize this can take a long time to meet whatever your perception of decent may be...

My only worry is your location-- Can you connect to people reliably? In order to grow stronger you need variance in the kinds of people you fight....