Sign in to follow this  
Spirit Juice

Community Project: BBCS2 Character Tutorial Videos UPDATED MAY 2ND

Greetings, fellow Dustloop nerds. With BBCS2 on the horizon, it's time to think about improving the character forums with some BBCS2 character tutorial videos. As we all know, character video tutorials can be very useful for both new and veteran players alike, and they provide a fun way of learning a character.

I'm willing to record and edit every video FOR each character, but I will need content provided by the community to do this. In other words, members and, most importantly, character forum mods will need to contribute information. As for the actual content of the videos, here's some ideas for starters. More content can be added with the community/mods feel like something is left out.

1) Introduction

• Character breakdown of play style, strengths, and weaknesses
  • Breakdown of normals
  • Breakdown of special moves
  • Changes from CS1 to CS2

2) Combos
    • Basic combos
    • Advanced combos
    • Counter hit and Fatal Counter combos
    • Character specific combos (if needed)

(Keep in mind that the combo section is going to be 100% practical combos you would use in a tournament, not flashy, combo video material)

3) Strategy

[*]Mixups

[*]Pressure

[*]Okizeme

[*]Misc. tips/tricks

Character match up doesn't feel required in the video because, frankly, there is just too much detail to go into for each character. You could spend hours explaining how to beat X character with Y character and it would get very tedious. The purpose of the videos is to be informative yet simple. There isn't going to be any crazy video editing or flashy graphics like it's a combo video. Text would be best of explaining sections of the video, rather than recording someone's voice because generally it's easier to do, hearing the same voice over and over again can be kind of tiresome, and in the case of different people doing voice overs, not everyone has a good voice to be recorded.

I will need a project "head" for each character; someone who will essentially make the thread (probably a mod in most cases) that will later provide content for the video. Community members can contribute to said thread and the project head for that character can update the thread. Once that thread/guide is essentially complete, I will begin to record the guide and edit it.

I will later create a list for each character and who is leading the project for each character, but for now I want to see how much interest the community has in making this happen.

Please give me your thoughts/opinions.

Updated May 2nd: Made a list of project leaders. I believe this is accurate after re-reading the thread.

Plat - Urichinan

Mu - FlyingVe

Tager - AXIS

Arakune - Skye

Rachel - Polka/Soniti

Jin - shtkn/Yuushiro

Noel - LunaKage

Haku-men - Spark

Litchi - Lord Knight

Makoto - OmniSScythe/HiagoX

Hazama - Zidane

Bang - DaiAndOh

Ragna - Titanium Beast

Taokaka - XDest

Lambda - Severin

Tsubaki - Ginseng

Need:

Carl

Valk

With CS2 right around the corner, I'd encourage people to at least start the thread and get some basic work done.

I really need project heads for the above characters. I'd much rather have guides for all the characters rather than just a select few.

Edited by Spirit Juice

While not a mod, I volunteer to do it for Mu-12.

Also, you should check out the character breakdowns that option-select.com did for the SSF4 newcomers. They are pretty much along the lines you wanted and are very straightforward and well done. It might give you and others something to work from.

Example:

Option-Select Presents: Cody

Good idea! Unfortunately, I'm not one to contribute, but it'll be cool to see this happen.

I just wanna put in my two cents...while combos are important, I think guardstrings and mentioning how to get past holes in guardstrings in various situations is just as important, along with improving defense. It doesn't matter what combos I know, if I can't land a hit because I'm too busy being scared in the corner and blocking, or getting hit by throws or mixups or getting punished for teching or bursting, no amount of combo knowledge will help me.

Likewise, knowing what's safe, unsafe, how to bait safely, how to guardstring safely, all that stuff to me is very important. I think I've learned alot more about fighting games in general just by realizing how important all this stuff is to learn, and it's a lot harder to learn than just combos.

Edited by Blade

Blade those things you just said are not for the characters but are just things people should learn in general.

SJ I like this Idea...I like it a lot.

I am gonna have to make a thread for this in my forum and collect data.

I will also pull up the easiest combo's from the combo thread because lord knows it's a lot of combo's but only a few of them are necessary.

Blade those things you just said are not for the characters but are just things people should learn in general.

Well, there could be character specific things like reversals and safe pokes... but yeah, defense is mostly universal.

Speaking of pressure, starter CS2 pressure strings would be something good to put in vids like this.

yuushiro and i will handle jin. is this going to be us distilling jp match videos into tutorials? it's not like we have access to cs2 atm...

I was assuming that this was just supposed to be a head start on gathering any information we can interpret from BBS and videos. Once the game is released then we record.

I just wanna put in my two cents...while combos are important, I think guardstrings and mentioning how to get past holes in guardstrings in various situations is just as important, along with improving defense. It doesn't matter what combos I know, if I can't land a hit because I'm too busy being scared in the corner and blocking, or getting hit by throws or mixups or getting punished for teching or bursting, no amount of combo knowledge will help me.

Likewise, knowing what's safe, unsafe, how to bait safely, how to guardstring safely, all that stuff to me is very important. I think I've learned alot more about fighting games in general just by realizing how important all this stuff is to learn, and it's a lot harder to learn than just combos.

Like others have mentioned, this is a general gameplay issue and doesn't really have to do with what I'm trying to accomplish here. Knowing how to get out of blockstrings varies against every character, which falls into match ups (which won't be covered in the videos). The purpose of this project is to teach you how to play the character, not how to play the game in general. A lot of the issues you are concerned with really come with experience from playing the game.

I was assuming that this was just supposed to be a head start on gathering any information we can interpret from BBS and videos. Once the game is released then we record.

This is correct. We will not be using JP videos, but rather people will essentially create a written guide that will be translated into a video. Once the game comes out on console, I will record footage at home and turn that footage into a video tutorial guide.

So... something like the Hazama and Tsubaki Tutorial videos that Aksys did? (Though probably with more detail?)

I find this a very good idea, though it might be worthwhile to set a few guidelines in terms of length etc so that one community doesn't produce 20 minutes worth of footage with frame breakdowns of every normal or something. ;)

i can do this for bang, with some help from the bang forums.

i can record in "HD" as well.

Well since I guess you called it (I don't have vid editing software, someone tell me a good free one), I'll help you in any way I can. Feel free to use the upcoming guide as any kind of base as well.

This sounds awesome. I can contribute/collaborate with the other Hakus. I think Spark will likely be the head of this side of the project.

One thing: will these vids be updated? If we make them just 1-2m after CS2's release in NA, then they're likely to contain outdated info a couple months down the line...

This sounds like a great idea and I will contribute my part for the Lambda side of things..

Well since I guess you called it (I don't have vid editing software, someone tell me a good free one), I'll help you in any way I can. Feel free to use the upcoming guide as any kind of base as well.

yeah we'll be working together.....

OR ELSE

This sounds awesome. I can contribute/collaborate with the other Hakus. I think Spark will likely be the head of this side of the project.

One thing: will these vids be updated? If we make them just 1-2m after CS2's release in NA, then they're likely to contain outdated info a couple months down the line...

We can update them, but they will probably have to be seperate videos. Reeditting the original tutorial video with new combos/strategy seems to be a bit redundant.

any idea how much time will be allotted to the videos?

As much time as needed. If they are taking longer than needed, I'll try to set a deadline.

yeah we'll be working together.....

OR ELSE

Don't worry about recording your own footage; having me do it will make it more consistent for the rest of the videos.

I'll work on the Platinum information if it's alright with you. We've already got a lot put down here but if that isn't enough then more can be written up.

I've got a list of almost all her combos saved on my computer so I can get those to you as well. (Which reminds me, I need to update the combo thread)

This is a really good idea SJ. So all everyone is doing is providing you with written info?

I am available to help with Ragna.

I'll work on the Platinum information if it's alright with you. We've already got a lot put down here but if that isn't enough then more can be written up.

I've got a list of almost all her combos saved on my computer so I can get those to you as well. (Which reminds me, I need to update the combo thread)

Shit, now I need to update that thread.